Michigan considering tolling I-94, I-96, I-75 and/or US-127

Started by ChimpOnTheWheel, July 14, 2020, 02:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 19, 2020, 10:04:39 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 19, 2020, 05:16:11 PM
It doesn't go without saying that the current governor of Michigan is one of the biggest idiots around and that's all I'm saying on that one.
Didn't your last one like ruin the water in Flint or something?
No that was Darnell Earley he was an Emergency Manager in Flint. He was appointed by Governor Snyder but he is the one that ultimately made the decision to switch the source of water for the city of Flint. I guess you could say Snyder sort of did because he was the one that appointed the EM. Earley was also the city manager in Saginaw for awhile. I live within a mile of Saginaw's city limits.

Flint1979

Quote from: Terry Shea on July 19, 2020, 10:11:35 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 19, 2020, 10:04:39 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 19, 2020, 05:16:11 PM
It doesn't go without saying that the current governor of Michigan is one of the biggest idiots around and that's all I'm saying on that one.
Didn't your last one like ruin the water in Flint or something?
No, that was the Flint city council, but I think we're getting off subject here.
Well my attack on Whitmer is that she said all along in her campaign that she was going to fix the damn roads. And now she is giving MDOT the ok to study the possibility of making a toll road without the thought that Michigan would lose federal funding if that is done.

It's already been mentioned that most of the traffic using the roadways in Michigan are by people that already live here and I agree with that. Michigan isn't a state that sees a lot of through traffic except for Canada. I guess making I-69 a toll road would probably be the best one if they had to make any of them a toll road considering many use it as a bypass of Detroit for Chicago-Toronto traffic. It'd be easy to shunpike though by using Old M-21 in many places. Old M-78 runs right next to current I-69 too.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: aboges26 on July 15, 2020, 08:04:56 PM
Or maybe that is the route MDOT wants Canada-bound trucks to follow (I-69), possibly alleviating some truck traffic from Detroit. Although I am not sure who in their right mind would go through Detroit to begin with if they could take I-69, regardless of tolled I-94 or not.

When I drove for a living, my company said I had to use the Ambassador Bridge, because it somehow made their customs paperwork easier.  Ugh, the Ambassador Bridge!  The experience of driving on that in an 18-wheeler was always worse than the experience of having to go through the stoplights in Breezewood Windsor.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

kphoger

Quote from: stridentweasel on July 20, 2020, 07:52:29 PM
When I drove for a living, my company said I had to use the Ambassador Bridge, because it somehow made their customs paperwork easier. 

What?  Are you saying that shipping routes are determined by more than just one factor?  Get outta here!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Let's face it. Michigan is never getting any toll roads outside of the Mackinac Bridge and the border crossings into Canada. What advantage would they have making any of these routes into a toll road when a free route is available? Go ahead and make US-127 into a toll road, I'll just use Old US-27.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 23, 2020, 01:24:25 PM
Let's face it. Michigan is never getting any toll roads outside of the Mackinac Bridge and the border crossings into Canada. What advantage would they have making any of these routes into a toll road when a free route is available? Go ahead and make US-127 into a toll road, I'll just use Old US-27.

Ohio Turnpike seems to do alright with a freeway to its north and a 4 lane highway to its south.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

ilpt4u

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 24, 2020, 05:05:06 PM

Ohio Turnpike seems to do alright with a freeway to its north and a 4 lane highway to its south.
There is some question to how well the Ohio TP would do if the US 30 Corridor from Mansfield, OH to somewhere near Morris, IL were upgraded to interstate standards, and even given an Interstate designation, be it 76 or 80, how well the OH TP, IN TR, and the Tri-State would compete

While such a thing has been talked about on the Fictional board, there needs to be more serious movement in Indiana regarding upgrading US 30 to a Freeway and more serious movement in Indiana and Illinois (mostly IL) about building the Illiana Tollway, and make sure the routes connect to the existing US 30 Freeway in Ohio

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 24, 2020, 05:35:41 PM

There is some question to how well the Ohio TP would do if the US 30 Corridor from Mansfield, OH to somewhere near Morris, IL were upgraded to interstate standards, and even given an Interstate designation, be it 76 or 80, how well the OH TP, IN TR, and the Tri-State would compete

While such a thing has been talked about on the Fictional board, there needs to be more serious movement in Indiana regarding upgrading US 30 to a Freeway and more serious movement in Indiana and Illinois (mostly IL) about building the Illiana Tollway, and make sure the routes connect to the existing US 30 Freeway in Ohio
I was thinking of OH 2 & I-90 to the north and US 20 & I-76 to the south.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

triplemultiplex

Well if the Fed's aren't chipping in enough to maintain that interstate for the traffic it has, why are we beholden to a system that denies interstates access to a potential revenue stream because of some arbitrary rule?  That's dumb.  That rule should be shit-canned.  I 100% support tolling existing tax-payed interstates if it means those interstates can get more lanes and modern interchanges.

By all means, toll the shit out of I-94 so Michigan can afford to six+ lane the entire thing west of Detroit.
Hell yeah, toll I-81 so Virginia can afford to six lane the whole damn thing.
Let Missouri toll I-70 so that sumbitch has at least six lanes between KC and StL.
And just so I'm not playing favorites; why not toll I-94 over here in 'Sconnie so we can get that third lane where it's needed?
Worth it!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Flint1979

And that freeway to the north is what I use to shunpike the Ohio Turnpike.

sprjus4

Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 24, 2020, 10:36:11 PM
Hell yeah, toll I-81 so Virginia can afford to six lane the whole damn thing.
The latest toll plan would not have widened the entire interstate to 6 lanes, in fact only less than 100 miles. Still a major improvement, but would not address the remaining 200+ miles.

Either way, the project package that includes numerous ramp extensions, safety improvements, climbing lanes, and that less than 100 miles of widening is getting underway, though they opted to increase fuel taxes & truck fees to fund it instead of implementing tolling.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.