Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

I-80 Reconfiguration in Joliet, Including Des Plaines River Bridge

(1/12) > >>

paulthemapguy:
It's time to start a topic about this.  A massive hot-button issue in the Joliet, Illinois, area is the notoriously decrepit Des Plaines River bridge in the heart of Joliet.  An infamous bridge inspection last year revealed a rating of 6 out of 100 (anything below 30 is a critical failure requiring immediate repairs).  Repairs were made last summer to keep the bridge standing, but the clear need for a reconstruction of the bridges is definitely there.

The reconstruction project is a 16-mile long section of I-80 from Ridge Road in Minooka to the US Route 30 interchange in New Lenox, which is currently being rebuilt.  The bridge is only part of the project, which encompasses the bridge, a section of mainline pavement also in dire need of repair, and outdated interchange designs that could really use some reconfiguration.  The project website is available for the public to view here: http://i-80will.com/

I viewed a presentation (a 30-minute video) on the Phase I process of the project.  I'm trying to find a link to that presentation that anyone can view, but I haven't been successful yet.

Because of the scope and prominence of this project, the eventual price tag is forecasted to be around 1.0-1.1 billion dollars.  Check out the website for now, and I'll see if I can get some more links to information for roadgeek comment.  It looks like the new bridges will be twin bridges about 300 feet north of the current bridge locations.  The proposed alterations to interchange ramp configurations I found to be surprisingly intriguing.  I may take screenshots of the video I can view to show stuff like this.  Questions? Comments? Concerns? Other info you'd like to see about this?

Joe The Dragon:
Will tolling come up as an way to pay for it?

JoePCool14:

--- Quote from: Joe The Dragon on April 06, 2021, 03:06:43 PM ---Will tolling come up as an way to pay for it?

--- End quote ---
I don't think so.

Crash_It:

--- Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 06, 2021, 02:15:45 PM ---It's time to start a topic about this.  A massive hot-button issue in the Joliet, Illinois, area is the notoriously decrepit Des Plaines River bridge in the heart of Joliet.  An infamous bridge inspection last year revealed a rating of 6 out of 100 (anything below 30 is a critical failure requiring immediate repairs).  Repairs were made last summer to keep the bridge standing, but the clear need for a reconstruction of the bridges is definitely there.

The reconstruction project is a 16-mile long section of I-80 from Ridge Road in Minooka to the US Route 30 interchange in New Lenox, which is currently being rebuilt.  The bridge is only part of the project, which encompasses the bridge, a section of mainline pavement also in dire need of repair, and outdated interchange designs that could really use some reconfiguration.  The project website is available for the public to view here: http://i-80will.com/

I viewed a presentation (a 30-minute video) on the Phase I process of the project.  I'm trying to find a link to that presentation that anyone can view, but I haven't been successful yet.

Because of the scope and prominence of this project, the eventual price tag is forecasted to be around 1.0-1.1 billion dollars.  Check out the website for now, and I'll see if I can get some more links to information for roadgeek comment.  It looks like the new bridges will be twin bridges about 300 feet north of the current bridge locations.  The proposed alterations to interchange ramp configurations I found to be surprisingly intriguing.  I may take screenshots of the video I can view to show stuff like this.  Questions? Comments? Concerns? Other info you'd like to see about this?

--- End quote ---

This repair and replacement is already on the books to happen in the next season or following one at the latest

ET21:

--- Quote from: Joe The Dragon on April 06, 2021, 03:06:43 PM ---Will tolling come up as an way to pay for it?

--- End quote ---

Nope, this is supposed to be the flagship project of the big infrastructure bill Priztker signed last year. All IDOT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version