Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

ODOT: NEOH 2021 Construction Plans...

(1/3) > >>

thenetwork:
From Cleveland.com:  Here is a list of the major projects planned on area NE Ohio Roadways and the current statuses on the existing major projects.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2021/04/odots-2021-construction-projects-in-northeast-ohio-see-where-orange-barrels-will-be-this-summer.html

The one that always gives me the giggles is the SR‐18 widening project between I-71 and the Medina City Limits. In effect, it's just a wider "funnel" with the same pinhole "spout" / choke point at Medina Hospital. 

The city of Medina has been so against improving travel THROUGH their town in order to preserve it's heritage.   

Back when I used to live there, it took nearly 15-20+ minutes to cross town due to limited bypass options, slow speed limits down single-lane roadways and multiple turns in the Public Square area if you were staying on the same route on either side of town.

They had a chance in the 60s, 70s and 80s to have a bona-fide multi-lane bypass around the town, but the NIMBYs opposed every option, and the town preferred building residential developments without leaving ROWs for a potential future bypass.

The only too-little, too-late solution they did was create A bypass via Foote Road and the new Reagan Parkway in the 90s.  Problem was same old Medina inadequate styles:  Single lane, 25-35 MPH roadways which pass through a major business district area (N. Court St. Area).

Medina is one of the few decent-sized Ohio cities (20k + population) without a decent way of getting through or around town.  I'm glad I moved out a long time ago..

zzcarp:

--- Quote from: thenetwork on April 08, 2021, 07:47:05 PM ---From Cleveland.com:  Here is a list of the major projects planned on area NE Ohio Roadways and the current statuses on the existing major projects.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2021/04/odots-2021-construction-projects-in-northeast-ohio-see-where-orange-barrels-will-be-this-summer.html

The one that always gives me the giggles is the SR‐18 widening project between I-71 and the Medina City Limits. In effect, it's just a wider "funnel" with the same pinhole "spout" / choke point at Medina Hospital. 

The city of Medina has been so against improving travel THROUGH their town in order to preserve it's heritage.   

Back when I used to live there, it took nearly 15-20+ minutes to cross town due to limited bypass options, slow speed limits down single-lane roadways and multiple turns in the Public Square area if you were staying on the same route on either side of town.

They had a chance in the 60s, 70s and 80s to have a bona-fide multi-lane bypass around the town, but the NIMBYs opposed every option, and the town preferred building residential developments without leaving ROWs for a potential future bypass.

The only too-little, too-late solution they did was create A bypass via Foote Road and the new Reagan Parkway in the 90s.  Problem was same old Medina inadequate styles:  Single lane, 25-35 MPH roadways which pass through a major business district area (N. Court St. Area).

Medina is one of the few decent-sized Ohio cities (20k + population) without a decent way of getting through or around town.  I'm glad I moved out a long time ago..

--- End quote ---

I grew up west of Oberlin so we'd take OH 18 through Medina many times for field trips or other reasons to get to Akron and I remember the slow slog through town to the 4-lane section. It's certainly not the only small city in Ohio that is in need of a bypass, and it could certainly use it.

Also in the report is replacing the OH 113 and Baumhart Road traffic light in Lorain County with a roundabout. The traffic light was actuated from Baumhart Road and is one of the earliest instances I remember of a traffic-actuated light. I don't know if the roundabout will really improve safety, but I look forward to experiencing it when I head to NE Ohio for holidays.

sandwalk:
A bit further west, ODOT will start construction of a roundabout at the US 20 / SR 601 intersection east of Norwalk this summer.  Like the Baumhart / SR 113 intersection, it has been plagued by numerous crashes over the years.  However, there is not enough traffic to warrant installing a traffic light.  The roundabout is a good idea here.

https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/odot/projects/projects/110357

Hot Rod Hootenanny:
And concerning the addition of more exits along NE Ohio freeways...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/noaca-ready-to-say-no-to-three-new-suburban-highway-interchanges-based-on-detailed-cost-benefit-analysis/ar-BB1fYjWu?rt=0&ocid=Win10NewsApp&item=flights%3Aprg-mobileappview

thenetwork:

--- Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 26, 2021, 01:07:39 PM ---And concerning the addition of more exits along NE Ohio freeways...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/noaca-ready-to-say-no-to-three-new-suburban-highway-interchanges-based-on-detailed-cost-benefit-analysis/ar-BB1fYjWu?rt=0&ocid=Win10NewsApp&item=flights%3Aprg-mobileappview

--- End quote ---

Surprised they want to pooh-pooh the I‐71/SR-57 exit.  Any additional I-71 exit for Medina would help take some of the traffic off of SR-3 and SR-18.   Plus that would make a great alternative to Wadsworth from the north.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version