Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

ODOT: NEOH 2021 Construction Plans...

<< < (3/3)

Rothman:

--- Quote from: skluth on May 07, 2021, 12:12:51 AM ---
--- Quote from: Buck87 on May 06, 2021, 12:17:19 PM ---
--- Quote from: sandwalk on May 05, 2021, 02:13:47 PM ---Eh....if they employ competent drivers, it shouldn't be an issue.  Plus, the semi trucks won't have to stop and wait for 55mph cross traffic at that intersection anymore.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I was operating under the assumption that truckers don't like roundabouts. Though after reading some comments about this project in a local paper I saw some anecdotal evidence that a lot of truckers actually prefer them, as long as the turning radius is adequate. Definitely makes sense from a free flow vs. stop and start perspective.

--- End quote ---

I've always been a fan of the giant roundabouts incorporated into interchanges like this and this. I was a passenger on a tour bus to Gibraltar in the second; the bus driver has no problems driving the this at the same speed as the cars in front. It's not much different than driving this traffic circle on the George Washington Parkway.

--- End quote ---
That circle isn't on the Parkway.

skluth:

--- Quote from: Rothman on May 07, 2021, 07:18:36 AM ---
--- Quote from: skluth on May 07, 2021, 12:12:51 AM ---
--- Quote from: Buck87 on May 06, 2021, 12:17:19 PM ---
--- Quote from: sandwalk on May 05, 2021, 02:13:47 PM ---Eh....if they employ competent drivers, it shouldn't be an issue.  Plus, the semi trucks won't have to stop and wait for 55mph cross traffic at that intersection anymore.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I was operating under the assumption that truckers don't like roundabouts. Though after reading some comments about this project in a local paper I saw some anecdotal evidence that a lot of truckers actually prefer them, as long as the turning radius is adequate. Definitely makes sense from a free flow vs. stop and start perspective.

--- End quote ---

I've always been a fan of the giant roundabouts incorporated into interchanges like this and this. I was a passenger on a tour bus to Gibraltar in the second; the bus driver has no problems driving the this at the same speed as the cars in front. It's not much different than driving this traffic circle on the George Washington Parkway.

--- End quote ---
That circle isn't on the Parkway.

--- End quote ---
That's true. It's a circle on the ramps going to the Parkway, connecting traffic from DC over the bridge along with traffic from the cemetery, Arlington Blvd, and Washington Blvd. None of the European roundabouts linked are on the highways they serve either. The Arlington link just so happens to show the circle is in a widened median rather than the highway crossing over or under the roundabout. That's the point. Traffic on the main artery continues happily or exits to one giant roundabout rather than going through two smaller roundabouts on either side of the highway as found in most freeway ramp entrances like this and this and this. IMO, the Green Bay interchanges could be better served a large roundabout at WI 29/ Packerland Dr/ Cardinal Ln and another at I-41/Shawano Av while leaving the Shawano Av/Duck Creek Parkway roundabout as is. The second time I used this maze, exiting NB I-41 at Shawano to visit my brother living west of Pamperin Park, it was during a downpour with poor visibility and I missed my exit off one of the six roundabouts I crossed in less than a mile just to reach CTH RK.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version