Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Why is US 33 northbound (In Ohio) a 4 lane road

(1/7) > >>

Thomas77:
Why is US 33 northbound in Ohio (Past Columbus and Maryville) a 4 lane road? Even if it has the traffic of most 2 lane highways.

Bitmapped:

--- Quote from: Thomas77 on April 18, 2021, 08:34:40 PM ---Why is US 33 northbound in Ohio (Past Columbus and Maryville) a 4 lane road? Even if it has the traffic of most 2 lane highways.

--- End quote ---

Because it is a major cross-state corridor and has traffic counts out to Bellefontaine that justify four lanes.

Flint1979:
It's not four lanes in the northbound direction it's two lanes in each direction and it's like that because it's a major route.

JREwing78:
I'm honestly a little surprised that they haven't 4-laned the section between Huntsville and Wapakoneta. A cursory glance at traffic counts indicates that a route that was a more direct connection between the two existing 4-lane sections, even if it started as a section of Super-2, would pull enough traffic to be worthwhile. It might also pull an appreciable amount of Fort Wayne-bound traffic off of US-23 and US-30, especially if they convinced InDOT to upgrade their section of US-33.

Hot Rod Hootenanny:

--- Quote from: Thomas77 on April 18, 2021, 08:34:40 PM ---Why is US 33 northbound in Ohio (Past Columbus and Maryville) a 4 lane road? Even if it has the traffic of most 2 lane highways.

--- End quote ---

One word; Honda.
Ohio connected the Bellefountaine & Marysville Bypasses in the late 80s for a Honda manufacturing plant, located between the two towns.

As for JREwing78's comment about extending the 4 lane section of US 33, from Huntsville to Wapakoneta. ODOT did have that on their wishlist back in the 60s and early 70s (before Honda & Scotts showed up), but I believe the delicate nature of Indian Lake has caused ODOT to forget about it.
And by delicate, I don't mean just ecological. ODOT had to rebuild US 33, along the south shore of Indian Lake back in the mid 90s due to flooding.

("unsecure" photo I took of US 33 near Indian Lake, 20 years ago)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version