Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Why is US 33 northbound (In Ohio) a 4 lane road

<< < (4/7) > >>

seicer:
The Chillicothe bypass was added in 1971-72 (originally built for US 35 in 1968 with provisions for US 23). The Waverly reconstruction happened in 1999-00 and is still in excellent condition (unlike too many new concrete roads that have deteriorated faster).

I was just scouring Portsmouth the other day for aerials and was surprised at how much its rebounding. The district west of downtown is seeing a -lot- of new redevelopment aided in part by state historic tax credits and nearly all of the abandoned buildings are now occupied or under renovations. There is even a new build in there. A new hotel next to that Holiday Inn but no work has been done on it in about a year (COVID killed it most likely). And downtown has some nice rehabs with lofts and coffee shops replacing some previously abandoned buildings.

Still. It's a rough city. Shawnee State is the savior since the area has lost -all- of its heavy industry, including the Atomic plant. (The shoe string plant on Scioto Avenue does not count.)

GCrites80s:
^Yeah Boneyfiddle (Portsmouth's 2nd downtown) is seeing the most investment these days. Portsmouth's definite bottom was probably about 6-7 years ago. Something a lot of people don't know about SSU is that it had a nasty bottom around the same time where it dropped down to about 3200 students from its late 2000s peak at 5000. That bottom was lower than it was in the late '90s when it was making a lot of effort to increase enrollment and attract non-commuter students. I imagine that the city's condition coupled with new attitudes about how good the networking is at any given school was behind the enrollment decline. It used to be "just get a degree and everything will be fine" but now things are much more focused on job networks which is a disadvantage for the entire region outside of healthcare. I don't know if there is a lot more emphasis on international students at the school now -- very few students were international as compared to many U.S. schools when I attended there in the late '90s/early 2000s outside of short-term exchange and a few soccer players.

seicer:
International students pay full rate too :^) I did notice they closed off 3rd Street in front of SSU which was really needed since practically all of their (cheap-looking) dormitories are on the north side of the street. It wasn't -that- long ago that 2nd Street once crossed through campus, too. I think that SSU should really petition to get the 2nd and Chillicothe reconfigured to be more of a connector to Boneyfiddle. It really doesn't have a direct pedestrian connection.

TempoNick:

--- Quote from: Bitmapped on May 09, 2021, 11:29:58 AM ---
US 23 south of Columbus is pretty similar to other early 4-lane projects in Ohio, like US 20 west of Norwalk, US 40 west of Columbus, and now-SR 25 near Bowling Green. The main difference is the other routes were functionally replaced by nearby Interstates and US 23 hasn't been. The parts that go through towns could use bypasses, but the rural parts of US 23 work pretty well as-is.

--- End quote ---

I don't know that I agree when it comes to the north half of US 23. Sometimes it gets a little too congested and too much is going on with people trying to maneuver through the at grade intersections. Add a little rain and fatigue and night time, and bad things can happen. Maybe the traffic counts don't justify it, but what I've seen at peak times I think enough traffic goes through there to justify freewaying the entire thing from Findlay to Delaware.

Once you get past Delaware, you have another problem, but at least it should be freeway to there.

The other thing I wonder about. Ohio does a pretty good job with their new freeway designs. They do a decent job engineering them but I wonder if over engineering is why these projects get delayed. If you look at what Texas does, they just build through the existing right away and use a lot of frontage roads off to the side of whatever they freeway. That seems like a far more cost-effective way to get a freeway done, even if it isn't as safe and well engineered as we do things in Ohio.

GCrites80s:

--- Quote from: seicer on May 11, 2021, 09:06:44 AM ---International students pay full rate too :^) I did notice they closed off 3rd Street in front of SSU which was really needed since practically all of their (cheap-looking) dormitories are on the north side of the street. It wasn't -that- long ago that 2nd Street once crossed through campus, too. I think that SSU should really petition to get the 2nd and Chillicothe reconfigured to be more of a connector to Boneyfiddle. It really doesn't have a direct pedestrian connection.

--- End quote ---

It was a while back that they closed off 3rd Street -- maybe 10 years ago? But yeah if 2nd and Chillicothe is still all slip ramps and islands it doesn't need to be since the other bridge opened on the West Side 40 years ago and cut the volume way down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version