Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Best Route: Cincinnati to Oak Brook, IL (Chicago west suburb)

<< < (4/5) > >>

TempoNick:
I take I-74 at least once a year from Columbus (Ohio)/Indianapolis to the Quad Cities (and onward to Sioux Falls) and I like that route better than I-80/90. Lots less congestion, lots less tolls, easier drive, but it's going to be 30 miles out of your way.

I would investigate whether there are any US routes that have been four-laned. Maybe there's another way you can cross over to I-57 without going that far west and coming east again.

paulthemapguy:
I will share with you my shortcut around I-80/94 and Chicago for people coming from the southeast on I-65.

1. Get off I-65 at IN-10 and turn left (west), to US41 N to IN-2 W
2. Go west on IN-2 to the state line, noting the jog north concurrent with US41.
3. IN-2 becomes IL-17, head W on IL-17 and it will turn north to a junction at IL-1. Stay straight onto IL-1 N
4. Turn left at County Line Road.  It's a county road, and all county roads in Will County are fully paved and smooth.
5. Turn right (north) onto Drecksler Road for 2 miles.
6. Turn left (west) on to Wilmington-Peotone Road. This will take you through the town of Peotone, but the speed limit always stays at least 45mph.

I like to use this, plus US52 to get home to Joliet if coming from the southeast.  You might want to use a different shortcut, though, if heading to Oak Brook:

1. I-65 exit at US231 (exit 247) and turn left (west)
2. Continue W around the square in Crown Point.  When you get to the official end of US231 at US41, continue going straight west until it ends at Calumet Ave.
3. Right at Calumet Ave. for 1 mile, then left at 101st.
4. 101st will become Exchange Street when you cross into Illinois.  Take that to IL-394 north, which is an expressway.
5. IL-394 will end at a junction that's the southern end of I-294. Merge onto I-294 north.

That should get you pretty close.  I like to promote usage of Will County highways because they are almost always maintained much better than IDOT roads in the area.  IDOT District 1 does a great job of snubbing the collar counties.

Rick Powell:

--- Quote from: TempoNick on May 07, 2021, 01:25:41 AM ---I would investigate whether there are any US routes that have been four-laned. Maybe there's another way you can cross over to I-57 without going that far west and coming east again.

--- End quote ---
South of US 30, there's no 4-lanes except I-74, I-64 and some pieces of US 50. Nothing up north, and it's a problem. And likely to stay that way unless the Illiana or something like it gets built. US 24 is relatively easy to travel for a 2-lane between towns but there is one every 5 miles or so that slows you down.

Rick Powell:

--- Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 07, 2021, 09:51:09 AM ---I like to promote usage of Will County highways because they are almost always maintained much better than IDOT roads in the area.  IDOT District 1 does a great job of snubbing the collar counties.

--- End quote ---
The mayor of Crete had IDOT study a potential connection of 109th directly to Exchange Street, and I think it was projected to carry well over 10,000 vehicles a day. The roads over that way are a real mish-mash across the state line, there's few good ways to get across, especially for trucks, and the two states haven't done much cross-state planning except for the now-shelved Illiana project. But your route is probably the best thru that area.

Henry:
If you don't want to waste any money on tolls, there's always this:

I-74 to I-465 to I-65 to I-80/I-94 to Dan Ryan to I-290

(An alternative would replace I-65 and I-80/I-94 with I-74 and I-57.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version