Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Best Route: Cincinnati to Oak Brook, IL (Chicago west suburb)

<< < (2/5) > >>

ChimpOnTheWheel:
I believe this should be in the Road Trips forum, but in any case.

I've done a similar drive before in the reverse direction. I recommend the following route:

I-74 -> I-465 -> I-865 -> I-65 -> I-80/94 -> I-294

Driving via I-74 -> I-57 -> I-294 is pretty long in my opinion. But if you're concerned about traffic on I-80/94 (that's where usually the bad traffic is), you could always use this route from I-65 to I-294:

I-65 -> US-231 exit (Crown Point) -> 109th Avenue (US-231 turns into this at the US-41 jct) -> Calumet Avenue -> 101st Avenue/Exchange St. -> IL-394 -> I-294

Brandon:
It depends on where you're going in Oak Brook, but sometimes it can be easier to go a bit west and then cut back in towards the east.

I've never had an issue with I-65 between Indy and Gary, so I'd recommend the following:
I-74 -> I-465 -> I-865 -> I-65 -> I-80/94 -> Options below.  These options are based on the fact that the central Tri-State (I-294) is under the knife right now, and can backup pretty bad due to that from 95th Street northward.

Option One is to take I-294 north to either Odgen Avenue (US-34), I-88 west to Spring Road, or Roosevelt Road (IL-38) depending on where the venue and hotel is.

Option Two is to exit I-294 at I-55 south to IL-83 north, and then up to Odgen, 31st Street, or 22nd Street.

Option Three is to take I-80 west to I-355 north, and then I-88 east to either Midwest Road or York Road.

Just keep in mind that if you do not have I-Pass/EZ Pass, you will have to keep track of the tolls and pay online: www.illinoistollway.com
You can also get an I-Pass at the above site mailed to you, or pick one up at a Jewel-Osco (grocer) or at the Lincoln Oasis when you cross into Illinois.

Crash_It:

--- Quote from: cabiness42 on April 21, 2021, 08:54:52 PM ---If you want the fastest route, 74->465->865->65->80/94->294 is going to be the fastest, even in bad traffic.

However, I absolutely loathe driving I-65 because of all the trucks. If you want a much, much less stressful alternative that will add only add about 30 minutes (less if traffic is bad on 80/94), then go 74->US 41->109th Ave->Calumet Ave->101st Ave/Exchange St->IL 394->294

Also, I used to commute to Oak Brook daily and still do so occasionally. If you are unfamiliar with the area and have any questions, feel free to PM me.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, the trucks nowadays are out of control:
-cutting you off to pass a truck going 0.5mph slower than them
-tailgating
-speeding
-swaying between lanes
-traveling in restricted lane.
etc...

Need to bring back the governors and just govern to the speed limit, that would solve all of these problems

hbelkins:
Would there be any benefit in possibly taking I-74 and then the US 41/IN 63 combination? I know that's not an all-interstate route, but my experience with Indiana surface four-lanes has been pretty positive.

cabiness42:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on April 22, 2021, 11:54:19 AM ---Would there be any benefit in possibly taking I-74 and then the US 41/IN 63 combination? I know that's not an all-interstate route, but my experience with Indiana surface four-lanes has been pretty positive.

--- End quote ---

As I noted in my post above, 74 to 41 is going to be only about 30 minutes slower than taking 65 but without the headaches of 65 and 80/94.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version