News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

When did you start liking roads?

Started by Angelo71, May 08, 2021, 11:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo71

When did you start liking roads?

I don't remember when I started liking roads, but  we traveled a lot when I was a little kid, and I was apparently fascinated with all of the signs.

tolbs17

Since when I was 8. I talked about the highways a lot.

Big John

Since around age 3 before I could talk, so I was pointing at everything.

Max Rockatansky

Pretty much always.  I recall building the Lodge Freeway for my toy cars in my sandbox when I was a toddler.

SkyPesos

Around 7-8 yrs old for me. I started paying more attention to road signs, lane layouts and traffic signals on trips since then.

Rothman

About 3, if not a tad younger.  I was pointing out one way signs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bugo

When I was a baby. I don't remember not being interested in two things: old cars and roads.

bandit957

One of my first memories is when I was about 2 or 3, I noticed all the traffic signs along US 27 (or other nearby roads) and made up a sound effect that went with the yellow diamond curve sign. I think I really got into roads when I was about 4 with the Lourdes Lane stuff, just before that street was torn down to build I-471.

I actually remember another time possibly even before all of that when I was laying down on my back and looking at a local street map.

I think all of this was between about 1975-78.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Roadgeekteen

Probably age 5-6 when I started looking at AAA maps and road atlases. I first really got into Massachusetts state routes, in fact I probably knew almost as much about them at age 7 than at age 17.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

GaryV

We built road layouts in the sandbox with hills, tunnels, etc.  We used croquet balls for vehicles, since they rolled in the sand and toy cars and trucks didn't.

In late elementary, my friend and I were drawing out city street designs on large sheets of butcher paper.

In middle school we had a trip to Washington DC.  My mom gave me a map to follow our progress. (So by that time I was thoroughly into trips and maps.) I thought I'd be made fun of for having it, so I didn't get it out for the first half or so of the trip.  But when I did look at it, others on the bus were interested in how far we still had to go.

JoePCool14

As long as I can remember and even earlier than that. I would always be looking out the window on car rides, noticing the signs, signals, and street names. I would also spend much of my youth drawing roads on notebook paper, setting up fictional cities on an old pool table using board game boxes to represent "buildings". Later on, I even made some rudimentary BGS which I printed out and taped to popsicle sticks stuck in clay bases.

Roadgeekery isn't just a hobby—it's a lifestyle.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

1995hoo

As long as I can remember, although as a little kid I mostly liked looking at maps.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JayhawkCO

We took a road trip from Minnesota to Arizona to visit my grandparents when I was 6.  I was given the AAA maps and helped to navigate.

Chris

zachary_amaryllis

like, since the first time my mom had to pull to the side of one to change my diaper, basically.

when i was in my tween years, i used to draw them, insane fusterclucked interchanges, with little numbers alongside them to indicate what signs went where, drawn on another sheet.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

bandit957

I drawed maps on paper grocery bags. Sometimes they were fictional places, but sometimes they were attempts to show real places. I think the first one I remember was when I was about 4 when I drew the aforementioned Lourdes Lane area.

That was an area around Newport or Woodlawn (Ky.) that we used to drive through on shopping outings. I really liked this area, but one day we discovered it was all torn up to build I-471. But I was interested in it before I heard I-471 was going in there. I'm guessing this was 1977 or 1978.

I-55

6 years old. First time I was handed an atlas and everything went from there.

This has inspired me to create a document on my roadgeeking history especially with my fictional highways.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Scott5114

Since I was a toddler, at least. I was always pestering Mom to "go exploring" and take new routes to and from the grocery store when I would go along with her.

My first experience with the wonderful world of ODOT signage was this sign (photo by Eric Stuve). Even at age 4 I knew there was something weird about it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bing101

When I was 3 years old and wondered why I-280, CA-480, I-80 and US-101 had different shields if they were freeways.
Note I didn't realize that US-101 is a scenic coastal road in Oregon and Washington state until I saw videos of US-101 being called Pacific Coast Highway in other places.

Roadgeekteen

My favorite book as a young child was cars and trucks and things that go

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

capt.ron

I was around 6 when I became aware of different types of roads & highways. I was from Southern California so streets and freeways were all I knew, along with 2 lane highways that ran up into the mountains (Big Bear, etc.). I began to pay attention to various road signs around that time too. I became aware of US 66 around that time as well since we had to use it due to I-40 not being completed at that time. I was more enamored by I-40 at that time rather than US 66 since I had a thing for freeways.

bandit957

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 09, 2021, 03:03:05 PM
Since I was a toddler, at least. I was always pestering Mom to "go exploring" and take new routes to and from the grocery store when I would go along with her.

I used to do this same thing. I remember once when I was about 7, we went to some department store to have a portrait taken, and my mom said something like, "If you're really good, we can drive down Three Mile Road on the way home." Or maybe it was Bramble Avenue.

During the summer when I was about 8, a bunch of us would visit yard sales all over the county. I'd give my mom a route to the next yard sale, and she always thought I was making up the route just so I could explore some new roads.

kevinb1994

Since I was a kid. I recall looking at old map books and pull-out maps from back in the day. Some of them were definitely older than others (it took awhile for I-287 and I-295 to be completed, and I recall Middlesex County filling in CR 522). NJ has had its share of antique signage and alignments, though I've seen things being lost to progress over the years (like some new development off of the Old Road, which is technically the former Lincoln Highway, right near where I used to live).

MikeTheActuary

One of my earliest memories was of my laying out highways and setting up BGSes with building blocks in my babysitter's basement, before I could read.  (Age 3, maybe?)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on May 09, 2021, 06:17:03 AM
13-14, surprisingly.
What started your interest? I joined the forum at 13.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.