Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Symbolic county road letter designations in Wisconsin

(1/14) > >>

KCRoadFan:
As anyone who lives in or has visited Wisconsin will know, the state marks its county roads with letters instead of numbers. The vast majority of these roads are designated either by a single letter, or by the same letter doubled (or sometimes even tripled). However, there are some county roads throughout the state whose designation consists of two different letters. Sometimes, these letter combinations are chosen due to having some symbolic meaning, such as:

* County Road KR, which runs along the border of Kenosha and Racine counties
* County Road PB southwest of Madison, named such because it connects Paoli and Belleville; also, it's in a former lead-mining region, and the road's name is the chemical symbol for lead
* County Road LS, which parallels the Lake Michigan shoreline between Sheboygan and Manitowoc (short for "Lake Shore," perhaps?)
Aside from what I mentioned, what are some other similarly meaningful or symbolic lettered county-road designations that might be found throughout Wisconsin? In addition, there are some others I'm aware of but don't know their meaning; for example, why is Lombardi Avenue in Green Bay marked as County Road VK? (If anything, it should be "VL" for Vince Lombardi.)

SEWIGuy:
There are a lot of symbolic highways like you talk about, but  I don't think Dane County PB has anything to do with those things.  First, PB historically went well north of Paoli.  Second it doesn't go to Belleville - it actually serves as a bypass of the village.  Third, the historic lead mining region of Wisconsin is well southwest of Dane County.

Brown County VK is interesting.  But Brown County has a lot of two letter roads that don't seem to make a lot of sense...so who knows.

JREwing78:
Rock County recently renamed a former Hwy 11 segment County WC. It connects existing Hwy 11 to, of course, West Court St. in Janesville, which eventually leads to downtown.

paulthemapguy:
I'm very interested in this thread! I would love to learn where more of the letter designations came from.  Also, why is a lot of former US18 from Verona to Dodgeville signed as County "ID"?

tchafe1978:

--- Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 01, 2021, 09:18:49 AM ---I'm very interested in this thread! I would love to learn where more of the letter designations came from.  Also, why is a lot of former US18 from Verona to Dodgeville signed as County "ID"?

--- End quote ---

County ID stands for Iowa and Dane counties, which it runs between.

I know County LO in Waukesha County, formerly STH 99, is named after former county board chairman Lloyd Owens.

Many other double letter designations may be just random picks of letter combinations. Or they may be connecting routes between "parents". But I don't think there are any rules over how double or triple-lettered county highways are named.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version