News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways that run along or near numbered streets of the same number as the road

Started by KCRoadFan, October 14, 2021, 10:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

Around my hometown of KC, I know of several examples of highways that happen to run along numbered streets that match the highway number:

• In Blue Springs, MO 7 runs where NW and SW 7th Street would be.
    • Before the eastern bypass of Lexington, MO, with the new bridge, was built, MO 13 used to enter town from the south along 13th Street before turning left on Main Street through downtown to cross the former (now demolished) bridge.
    • In the Grandview/Belton area, MO 150 is close to where 150th Street would be.
    • Further east within Missouri, MO 5 in Boonville is known as Main Street - but it would be called 5th Street if it followed the town's numbered-street scheme.

In addition, here are a couple I know from other cities:

• In Denver, CO, US 6 runs along the 6th Avenue Freeway.
    • In Minneapolis, MN 62 (aka "The Crosstown") follows 62nd Street (in fact, I read somewhere that MNDOT assigned it that number because of that).

Aside from the examples I mentioned, where else throughout the country have you seen highways that go through a town along a numbered street whose number happens to be the same as that of the highway itself? I'm eager to know.

NWI_Irish96

In Indiana:

IN 19 in Elkhart is only two blocks from 19th St.

Can't think of any others right now.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

California State Route 145 ends at Road 145.  I've never been able to find any documentation whether that is a coincidence or something Madera County did intentionally.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 14, 2021, 10:24:17 PM
  • In Minneapolis, MN 62 (aka "The Crosstown") follows 62nd Street (in fact, I read somewhere that MNDOT assigned it that number because of that).

It goes back to before that. A number of Minneapolis streets were assigned the same county route number as their street number, so 62nd Street was County 62, 42nd St is County 42, 46th St is County 46, and so forth. When Hennepin County later built the Crosstown Freeway roughly following 62nd St, the freeway stayed as County 62, so the route was already numbered 62 and MnDOT just elected not to change it when they took ownership of the road, despite another MN 62 already existing elsewhere in the state.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Bruce

WA-523 runs on 145th Street. Both numbers have digits that add up to 10.

US 89

The big one that jumps out at me is US 6 on 6th Avenue in Denver.

There's also a near miss in Salt Lake where the 2100 South freeway carries SR 201.

formulanone

State Road 7 is NW 7th Avenue throughout most of its distance in Miami-Dade. When it reaches the Miami River, it shunts over one block to become NW/SW 8th Avenue, but SR 7 terminates at US 41 shortly afterward. North of the Palmetto Expressway, it has a different local street name or none at all (mostly just State Road 7).

I think it's more coincidental than intentional, based on Florida's SR grid. Throughout Miami-Dade, it made sense during a time before SR 9 was extended silently along I-95.

paulthemapguy

Here's the corner of 7th Street and Route 7 in Lockport, IL.  Route 7 makes a jog through town to straighten out, and 7th Street jumps from being on the north side of Route 7 to the south side.

https://goo.gl/maps/8b5mQhA1RtHTLae39
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

thspfc

In Sheboygan, WI-28 and WI-42 each run along 14th St, which is interesting as 14 is a factor of 28 and 42.

Flint1979

In Detroit you have 5th Street which intersects M-5 (Grand River Avenue), 10th Street runs in the Corktown neighborhood near M-10, 12th Street (now called Rosa Parks Blvd.) intersects US-12, 1st Street runs about 5 blocks west of M-1. That's all I can think of right now off the top of my head.

jlam

Not too many around here. One example that comes to mind is Weld County Road 15, which goes along 15th street in Windsor.

jp the roadgeek

Only thing I could really think of is US 30 running past 30th St Station as it transfers from I-676 to I-76. 

NY 9A runs a couple blocks west of 9th Ave in Manhattan. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jay8g

sandwalk

kenarmy

AL 215 turns inTO 15th street and then turns N-S.
AL 4 runs along 4th street in Birmingham although it's unsigned.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

zachary_amaryllis

6th ave in denver = us 6 for a part of its length.

always wondered -- was that by design, or just a coincidence?

completely forgot about CR15=15th in windsor, tho. last time i spent any significant time there, it was just ... CR15, and wasn't really in town.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.