News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Milwaukee area freeways

Started by triplemultiplex, February 22, 2011, 03:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

The new Highland Rd interchange won't need much r/w due to its tight-diamond design:

No existing structures are affected.

The rest of the project is pretty much within the existing r/w.  Only along the east side of Port Washington Road just north of the railroad overpass are there a cluster of properties acquired.
https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/projects/by-region/se/43n-s-corridor/2020materials/maps/port-washington3.pdf

They even managed to squeeze in the new ramps at County Line Rd/Port Washington Rd within the existing right of way.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

dvferyance

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 06, 2019, 03:03:43 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on March 06, 2019, 02:58:37 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on March 05, 2019, 09:37:14 PM
Nothing's logical with WisDOT.
The Elm Rd interchange itself is not logical. I don't get what purpose it would serve. Elm Rd ends just to the west at 27th street and just to the east at 13th street. There is nothing of major significance on either side that would warrant an interchange. If Elm Rd went farther east to Howell Ave I would get it as there is a new industrial park being built there.

There's quite a number of businesses along 27th Street that likely counted on access that the original exit used to provide.  And that area has been growing more and more.  Having an interchange between 7 Mile Road and Ryan Road makes sense and putting one at Oakwood wasn't going to be easy.
Using Seven Mile Road interchange would have worked just fine.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on August 19, 2021, 04:18:50 PM
The Elm Rd interchange itself is not logical. I don't get what purpose it would serve. Elm Rd ends just to the west at 27th street and just to the east at 13th street. There is nothing of major significance on either side that would warrant an interchange. If Elm Rd went farther east to Howell Ave I would get it as there is a new industrial park being built there.

There's quite a number of businesses along 27th Street that likely counted on access that the original exit used to provide.  And that area has been growing more and more.  Having an interchange between 7 Mile Road and Ryan Road makes sense and putting one at Oakwood wasn't going to be easy.

Not really.

jhuntin1

Thanks for posting that, 3MX. I was thinking more of the area between Silver Spring and Good Hope Road. With Nicolet High School on the west and Port Washington Road running closely alongside on the east, it looks like it will be tough to squeeze in a third lane in each direction within the existing ROW.

thspfc

I've always thought that there should be a half interchange (SB I-43 exit and NB I-43 entrance) at Bender Road to take some of the load off the Silver Spring interchange. Not going to happen though.

The Ghostbuster

I'm not sure there is enough space at Bender Rd. to put an interchange there, given N. Port Washington Rd. and N. Jean Nicolet Rd. flank the freeway on both sides. Moving those roads further away from Interstate 43 to build an interchange would require significant condemning of property, and likely loud protests of opposition. So putting an interchange at Bender is a dream deferred.

peterj920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 17, 2021, 10:18:28 PM
I'm glad this project is underway. Hopefully the Interstate 94 reconstruction project between 70th St. and 16th St. will soon follow (it was enumerated in 2020).

The I-94 project was not enumerated. It's being studied as a potential major project. The two projects that were are the I-39/I-90/I-94 Wisconsin River Bridge and a US 51 rebuild between I-39/I-90 and The Madison Beltline. The rebuild is 2 lanes with intersection improvements and is probably the least exciting majors project that WISDOT has enumerated.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: jhuntin1 on August 19, 2021, 04:31:16 PM
Thanks for posting that, 3MX. I was thinking more of the area between Silver Spring and Good Hope Road. With Nicolet High School on the west and Port Washington Road running closely alongside on the east, it looks like it will be tough to squeeze in a third lane in each direction within the existing ROW.

They are taking some homes to expand Port Washington Road and give the freeway a little more room for 6 lanes:
https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/projects/by-region/se/43n-s-corridor/2020materials/maps/port-washington3.pdf

hobsini2

Aside from the expansion to 6 lanes and the new Highland Rd interchange, I really like that they are going to make Hwy 100 Brown Deer Rd a DDI. Makes a ton of sense.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

The Ghostbuster

Use this thread for posts on Milwaukee-area freeways, such as the proposed conversion of the Stadium Interchange into a DDI.

dvferyance

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 19, 2021, 04:26:16 PM

Not really.
Why do you say that? It's less than a mile south of where the old interchange was. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be used for 27th street traffic.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on June 14, 2022, 07:55:43 PM

Not really.
Why do you say that? It's less than a mile south of where the old interchange was. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be used for 27th street traffic.

Look at a map. It is completely inconvenient with the routing 27th Street takes there. Especially considering that growth is likely to continue to occur there. Getting the Elm St interchange built makes perfect sense.

peterj920

The Brewers think it's worth studying replacing the Parkway by the Stadium with an at grade street. It's surprising that this is being considered since that section was completely rebuilt 20 years ago and does a great job funneling game day traffic to the stadium.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: peterj920 on June 21, 2022, 10:26:05 PM
The Brewers think it's worth studying replacing the Parkway by the Stadium with an at grade street. It's surprising that this is being considered since that section was completely rebuilt 20 years ago and does a great job funneling game day traffic to the stadium.

I don't believe the interchange was touched as part of that though. And that's what's driving this discussion.

JREwing78

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 22, 2022, 04:57:43 AM

I don't believe the interchange was touched as part of that though. And that's what's driving this discussion.

Correct. The interchange itself is end-of-life per WisDOT (dating from the 1960s) and has to be replaced with something. Initial discussion was to do a 4-level interchange, but that was shot down by the locals. WisDOT is now considering a diverging diamond variant (which would be significantly cheaper and less politically problematic).

EDITed to fix flaky coding.

on_wisconsin

The team has recently been pitching ideas about creating an "Lifestyle/ Entertainment District" in the parking lots across Miller Park Way Brewers Blvd.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

skluth

Quote from: on_wisconsin on June 22, 2022, 04:49:39 PM

The team has recently been pitching ideas about creating an "Lifestyle/ Entertainment District" in the parking lots across Miller Park Brewers Way.

That seems to be the trend lately. The Packers have their Titletown. St Louis Cardinals have their Ballpark District. I think it all started in modern times with the Baltimore Inner Harbor hosting the Orioles within Camden Yards. Can't blame the Brewers for jumping on that lucrative bandwagon.

mgk920

The Packers based their 'Titletown District' on Patriot Place in Massachusetts.

Mike

SEWIGuy

Quote from: skluth on June 22, 2022, 08:09:10 PM

The team has recently been pitching ideas about creating an "Lifestyle/ Entertainment District" in the parking lots across Miller Park Brewers Way.

That seems to be the trend lately. The Packers have their Titletown. St Louis Cardinals have their Ballpark District. I think it all started in modern times with the Baltimore Inner Harbor hosting the Orioles within Camden Yards. Can't blame the Brewers for jumping on that lucrative bandwagon.

We used to pre-game at a bar a couple blocks from Lambeau Field in what is now the Titletown district.  That bar is now gone with Hinterland Brewery in its place, which has much better food, much better beer, but is WAY more expensive.  And its busy year round, not just game and practice days.

Smart move by sports teams to collect that revenue.

FightingIrish

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 14, 2022, 09:28:04 PM

Not really.

Look at a map. It is completely inconvenient with the routing 27th Street takes there. Especially considering that growth is likely to continue to occur there. Getting the Elm St interchange built makes perfect sense.
The Seven Mile Road interchange is definitely not a suitable substitute for the former 27th Street one. For one, it involves winding around a busy two-lane frontage road, that gets very busy during the warmer months because of Seven Mile Fair.

It is only marked as WIS 241 because 27th Street becomes the west Frontage Rd., and that's already a state-maintained route anyway. Notice that WIS 241 actually ends just before the Seven Mile interchange, as the SB Frontage Rd. picks up again?

As for accessing 27th St, the new Elm Rd. exit is effective, and will become even more so as businesses start to build in that expanded area.

The Ghostbuster

If I had my way, I would have had the STH 241 designation turn east onto the new W. Elm Rd., and have 241 terminate at the new Exit 324. Unfortunetly, it looks like STH 241's relocated southern terminus will permanently remain at Exit 326.

hobsini2

Quote from: FightingIrish on June 23, 2022, 11:25:22 AM

Not really.

The Seven Mile Road interchange is definitely not a suitable substitute for the former 27th Street one. For one, it involves winding around a busy two-lane frontage road, that gets very busy during the warmer months because of Seven Mile Fair.

It is only marked as WIS 241 because 27th Street becomes the west Frontage Rd., and that's already a state-maintained route anyway. Notice that WIS 241 actually ends just before the Seven Mile interchange, as the SB Frontage Rd. picks up again?

As for accessing 27th St, the new Elm Rd. exit is effective, and will become even more so as businesses start to build in that expanded area.

If the state saw it that way, why didn't they just realign 241 onto Elm Rd and have 27th St south of Elm become a county road? Just sayin.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

triplemultiplex

The team has recently been pitching ideas about creating an "Lifestyle/ Entertainment District" in the parking lots across Miller Park Way Brewers Blvd.

I suppose that would be a better use of the land than just parking; especially with the Menomonee River right there.  I'm sure some will complain about the loss of parking and tailgating space, but there'd still be acres and acres of pavement for that.  The way the valley has been going through a renaissance since the Millennium, it would create a nice continuation of what's going on there.

That being the case, I think that makes it more essential to maintain the grade separation between all those pedestrians and the cars on 175.  It would be annoying to have to pile across a major thoroughfare on a crosswalk instead of the leisurely stroll across an overpass.

Henry

Quote from: skluth on June 22, 2022, 08:09:10 PM

Quote from: mgk920 on June 23, 2022, 08:23:10 AM
The Packers based their 'Titletown District' on Patriot Place in Massachusetts.

Mike
Actually, it goes a century back, when the Cubs opened their ballpark in Wrigleyville. Fans could watch the games from their rooftops, and no one in the stands would care. Of course, that all changed when the team started charging the outsiders to see the action, and still they built their own bleachers high above the stadium for that.

Also, I remember hearing that the Red Sox built new seats atop the Green Monster after years of having none there. That clearly was the best thing about the Fenway renovations, and it made an already exciting fan experience even more so.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SEWIGuy

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 23, 2022, 12:15:17 PM
Quote from: FightingIrish on June 23, 2022, 11:25:22 AM

Not really.

If the state saw it that way, why didn't they just realign 241 onto Elm Rd and have 27th St south of Elm become a county road? Just sayin.

It's likely due to the wierdness about mileage in different counties that WIDOT uses to base these decisions.  Relocation would reduce WI-241's mileage in two counties.  And both would likely rather have the current route maintained as a state highway than the new route.

And WIDOT signs both Seven Mile and Elm as "To WI-241" on their respective BGS.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.