News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

Quote from: Rick Powell on June 21, 2021, 01:38:05 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on June 21, 2021, 01:22:17 AM
Sometime ago in this thread we had several posts about the idea of IDOT duplicating ISHTA efforts to use LED's for ramp lighting to save energy and cut costs.

In my recent use of I-72 between Champaign and Decatur and subsequently the use of US-51 from Decatur to Pana, I did notice that that district has started to put LED fixtures to good use.

Hopefully the email to consider it a couple years ago resonated well in IDOT brass or at least with the District leads.

Keep going Illinois! With your roads budgets separated now, every dollar saved here goes to better work in the future.

When I was at IDOT, around 2001 we spec'd LEDs for bridge navigation lights (the red and green clearance marker lights) on one of our projects, hoping to save on bulb changing costs. At the time they were fairly expensive, like $1,000 a unit. 20 years later, IDOT just opened up the IL 178 bridge in Utica (a project I was project manager for), and everything is LED, including the navigation lights, roadway lighting, and some decorative lights along a parallel pedestrian/bike trail.

Today LEDs are becoming the defacto standard elsewhere, including home lighting, and naturally the price came down as they began to be mass produced on today's scale. It was only a matter of time. Hopefully the suggestion was something they had considered, and looked at what ISTHA and the other states were doing.

FWIW: US-51 south of Decatur was pretty dead. Of course my line of sight was only a hour on a Saturday, not a typical M-F workday. Not so much a criticism but an observation, my issue with 4 lane freeways without limited access are the number of accidents at rural crossings. This trip was no exception as I was diverted off US-51 to old US-51 at Assumption because a truck t-boned what appeared to be a camper attempting to pull out.

Rick Powell

Quote from: edwaleni on June 22, 2021, 09:58:43 AM
Not so much a criticism but an observation, my issue with 4 lane freeways without limited access are the number of accidents at rural crossings. This trip was no exception as I was diverted off US-51 to old US-51 at Assumption because a truck t-boned what appeared to be a camper attempting to pull out.

Reminds me of my days on the original construction on I-55 while the US 66 expressway was still in place. The intersection of IL 47 and US 66 in Dwight was the first traffic light out of Chicago. Even with flashing "signal ahead" warning signs, it was the scene of more than a few fatal and severe injuries. There was at least one stoplight in most of the little towns along the route, and traffic zooming by at 70 mph in between them, as well as all the minor intersections where it was sometimes hard to get a break in oncoming traffic to get across and people would shoot through there, not a great recipe for traffic safety.

edwaleni

Quote from: Rick Powell on June 22, 2021, 11:25:53 AM
Quote from: edwaleni on June 22, 2021, 09:58:43 AM
Not so much a criticism but an observation, my issue with 4 lane freeways without limited access are the number of accidents at rural crossings. This trip was no exception as I was diverted off US-51 to old US-51 at Assumption because a truck t-boned what appeared to be a camper attempting to pull out.

Reminds me of my days on the original construction on I-55 while the US 66 expressway was still in place. The intersection of IL 47 and US 66 in Dwight was the first traffic light out of Chicago. Even with flashing "signal ahead" warning signs, it was the scene of more than a few fatal and severe injuries. There was at least one stoplight in most of the little towns along the route, and traffic zooming by at 70 mph in between them, as well as all the minor intersections where it was sometimes hard to get a break in oncoming traffic to get across and people would shoot through there, not a great recipe for traffic safety.

Yes, I do remember that light at Dwight.  There was another one at McLean (in front of the Dixie) and Atlanta during those US-66 to I-55 days. Can't tell you how many times I drove that route during the transition years.

Revive 755

IDOT has placed some information online for redoing I-270:

* The IL 3 interchange gets further downgraded to a folded diamond with a design that resembles the IL 53 interchange with IL 62/Algonquin Road in Schaumburg (the merging of dual lefts down to a single lane works so well for EB IL 62 to SB IL 53  :banghead:)

* The signing plans in the Access Justification Report (larger file) show the secondary control cities of St. Charles and Effingham going away.

There are also plans to replace the I-57/IL 16 cloverleaf with a "raindrop diamond/dumbbell interchangehttps://idot.illinois.gov/projects/I-57-IL-16-Interchange-Reconstruction.html

Crash_It

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 17, 2021, 11:18:35 AM
IDOT has placed some information online for redoing I-270:

I'd argue that alot of the congestion and crash issues are caused as a result of trucks just randomly cutting off motorists to pass another truck that was only going marginally slower (for example 59mph vs 58mph). I swear , I cannot have one totally smooth drive downstate and back without this happening.

edwaleni

My father totalled his car as he came over the new Chain of Rocks bridge (I-270) over the canal. A truck had spun out just before the Mississippi River Bridge and traffic came to sudden halt.  As he came over the arch of the bridge, he got surprised by the sudden stopped traffic and rear ended someone.

I have seen lots of near misses at the same location in the winter time.

ChiMilNet

OK, this weekend, as I was driving I-290 (IKE Expressway) to and from Downtown Chicago, I had to wonder, why the heck doesn't IDOT have the ramp meters going during the weekend??? The level of traffic honestly approaches that of during the week, especially now as people honestly are avoiding the Metra and CTA for the most part. It seems that having these meters going may help manage the level of traffic entering the expressway, especially through that absolutely horrible stretch in Oak Park. Vision test tells me it would have to help at least somewhat. I imagine on I-90 (Kennedy), it would help through the section on the far NW Side there as well. I am just curious maybe if anyone else has noticed that, and better yet, how I can bring this idea to someone's attention at IDOT?

JoePCool14

Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 25, 2021, 10:02:24 PM
OK, this weekend, as I was driving I-290 (IKE Expressway) to and from Downtown Chicago, I had to wonder, why the heck doesn't IDOT have the ramp meters going during the weekend??? The level of traffic honestly approaches that of during the week, especially now as people honestly are avoiding the Metra and CTA for the most part. It seems that having these meters going may help manage the level of traffic entering the expressway, especially through that absolutely horrible stretch in Oak Park. Vision test tells me it would have to help at least somewhat. I imagine on I-90 (Kennedy), it would help through the section on the far NW Side there as well. I am just curious maybe if anyone else has noticed that, and better yet, how I can bring this idea to someone's attention at IDOT?

Try this page here: https://apps.dot.illinois.gov/WER/?from=1

I've used that once before to get signage fixed. It's just a general contact form.

IDOT probably doesn't monitor the traffic actively enough to have the meters kick in without manually switching them on. It would be a good idea if they implemented that, assuming they don't.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

ChiMilNet

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 25, 2021, 10:07:25 PM

I've used that once before to get signage fixed. It's just a general contact form.

IDOT probably doesn't monitor the traffic actively enough to have the meters kick in without manually switching them on. It would be a good idea if they implemented that, assuming they don't.
Well, I sent them a note, so we'll see if I get any response. Thanks for the info. It is rather surprising that they wouldn't monitor that more closely, especially since just about anyone coming to and from Chicago on the weekend is well aware of the traffic issues that plague just about all the expressways in and out and city.

Crash_It

Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 25, 2021, 11:00:06 PM

Well, I sent them a note, so we'll see if I get any response. Thanks for the info. It is rather surprising that they wouldn't monitor that more closely, especially since just about anyone coming to and from Chicago on the weekend is well aware of the traffic issues that plague just about all the expressways in and out and city.

It does help, I recently did that to a district downstate about some signage that was confusing drivers, in short they listened and changed the signage. Now, I haven't noticed anyone stopping at that intersection anymore the last couple times I've been down there.

https://youtu.be/0BdMYWv-Crc

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Crash_It on July 26, 2021, 03:59:28 PM

It does help, I recently did that to a district downstate about some signage that was confusing drivers, in short they listened and changed the signage. Now, I haven't noticed anyone stopping at that intersection anymore the last couple times I've been down there.

Well, here's hoping for the same luck on I-290!

JoePCool14

Quote from: Crash_It on July 26, 2021, 03:59:28 PM

That's a pretty decent fix that IDOT made. I would've printed "TURN RIGHT WITHOUT STOPPING" or "RIGHT TURNS DO NOT STOP" and combined it with this:

edwaleni

This is not just an Illinois issue as I have seen it in other states.

The problem is, some people can't see or are too busy looking left to notice that there is a merge lane or a new lane to turn into.

Another issue, especially in more urban environments is the the driver wants to turn left at a nearby signal and so doesn't want to use the merge lane at all, so they stop and wait for at least 2 lanes to clear so they can cut across.

I can claim guilt on this characteristic as there are times where I delay my right turn because my destination is left at the next signal. And yes, periodically, I get honked at to move forward into traffic.

Another problem is when an exit ramp has a right turn turnout, but has no merge lane. It dumps you directly into the right lane. Even worse is when the DOT puts up a "Yield" sign instead of a "STOP" for these configurations.

There is one of these in Florida where I have seen at least 3 accidents where people assumed with the yield sign they had a merge lane but in fact didn't. You couldn't see the lack of it even when coming down the exit ramp.

Being a yield they roared into the right lane only to cause an accident or lots of swerving.

Another issue I have encountered is when a freeway was built the ramp comes down and reports a yield sign to go right onto a divided urban ROW. The problem is the merge lane is also functioning as a deceleration lane for a retail entrance nearby.

So people seeing the yield and seeing they have a merge lane don't completely come to a stop, they roll into the merge lane. If someone is attempting to slow down to turn into that retail space, a collision will happen because each believes they have the ROW to this lane.

It's a real challenge in road planning.

JoePCool14

That's why I think in some cases DOTs just end up removing slip lanes because they cause more trouble than they're worth. For them to work, you have to have enough space, proper signage, proper lane markings, possibly a median and a decent enough population to figure it all out. If you're missing something here, it may be best to just eliminate it altogether.

Crash_It

Quote from: edwaleni on July 29, 2021, 10:27:53 AM

Another issue, especially in more urban environments is the the driver wants to turn left at a nearby signal and so doesn't want to use the merge lane at all, so they stop and wait for at least 2 lanes to clear so they can cut across.

I can claim guilt on this characteristic as there are times where I delay my right turn because my destination is left at the next signal. And yes, periodically, I get honked at to move forward into traffic.

Problem with this is 9/10 there's another entrance into that location where one may need to turn left. For example, at the intersection in that video.. All one has to do is wait for the green signal and just continue straight then turn right onto the distributor road which takes them to everywhere they'd ever want to go. It is inconsiderate to other drivers and it's also illegal to be stopped when you aren't supposed to be stopped.

edwaleni

Quote from: Crash_It on July 29, 2021, 05:44:01 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on July 29, 2021, 10:27:53 AM

Problem with this is 9/10 there's another entrance into that location where one may need to turn left. For example, at the intersection in that video.. All one has to do is wait for the green signal and just continue straight then turn right onto the distributor road which takes them to everywhere they'd ever want to go. It is inconsiderate to other drivers and it's also illegal to be stopped when you aren't supposed to be stopped.

Sometimes (but not always) there is a J turn past the light where the left turn is desired. But naturally you can't see it from where you are. On the flip side, to avoid the hold up, I have merged, and found the next turn around was 2 miles down the road.

That means in those spots you have to accept turning right at the light and then turning around there to make complete your desired direction.

Doesn't make the hold up at the merge right, just goes to show why some people do hold up traffic on those merges.

storm2k

A nice picture of the Circle taken from the observation deck of the Sears Tower by me last weekend.

(and yes, I chose my words here very specifically)

Jericho That

Quote from: storm2k on July 30, 2021, 06:06:35 PM

A nice picture of the Circle taken from the observation deck of the Sears Tower by me last weekend.

(and yes, I chose my words here very specifically)

Oh, you mean the Jane Bryne interchange, as IDOT had it on an I-290 dynamic message sign yesterday.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

The Ghostbuster

The Sears Tower was renamed The Willis Tower in 2009. Do try to keep up!

kphoger

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 02, 2021, 06:16:57 PM

* whoosh *
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Try to keep up, okay?

ET21

The Sears Tower was renamed The Sears Tower in 2009. Do try to keep up!

Fixed
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

SEWIGuy

Why do people get so hung up on the names of buildings and interchanges?  Sears moved out of the tower years ago.  Why should their name remain?

kphoger

Who let this guy in here?
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.