Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Illinois notes

<< < (406/412) > >>

SEWIGuy:

--- Quote from: kphoger on August 03, 2021, 11:24:33 AM ---Who let this guy in here?

--- End quote ---

It's like these people who say about the MLB park in Milwaukee, "it will always be Miller Park to me!!!"

I mean, you have that much dedication to the name of a former corporate sponsor that you are unwilling to use the name of the current one?

kphoger:

--- Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 03, 2021, 11:31:32 AM ---

--- Quote from: kphoger on August 03, 2021, 11:24:33 AM ---Who let this guy in here?

--- End quote ---

It's like these people who say about the MLB park in Milwaukee, "it will always be Miller Park to me!!!"

I mean, you have that much dedication to the name of a former corporate sponsor that you are unwilling to use the name of the current one?

--- End quote ---

The alternative is to try and keep up with all the name changes as sponsorship changes.  When I last lived in the Chicago area, for example...

There was this thing called Comiskey Park.  It, along with it's previous iteration, had been Comiskey Park since 1975óbefore I was born.  Then it changed names to US Cellular Field.  OK, that was dumb.  Everyone just kept calling it Comiskey Park.  And, of course, that name only lasted for 13 years.  Now it's Guaranteed Rate Field.  Why bother calling it that when, in another few years, it'll probably just change names again, to Kotex Field or Pampers Park or GlaxoSmithCline Stadium or some such nonsense.

SEWIGuy:
Kotex Park is reserved for the northsiders.

kphoger:

--- Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 03, 2021, 11:59:24 AM ---Kotex Park is reserved for the northsiders.

--- End quote ---

Hey, that's not very nice.

skluth:

--- Quote from: kphoger on August 03, 2021, 11:44:05 AM ---The alternative is to try and keep up with all the name changes as sponsorship changes.  When I last lived in the Chicago area, for example...

There was this thing called Comiskey Park.  It, along with it's previous iteration, had been Comiskey Park since 1975óbefore I was born.  Then it changed names to US Cellular Field.  OK, that was dumb.  Everyone just kept calling it Comiskey Park.  And, of course, that name only lasted for 13 years.  Now it's Guaranteed Rate Field.  Why bother calling it that when, in another few years, it'll probably just change names again, to Kotex Field or Pampers Park or GlaxoSmithCline Stadium or some such nonsense.

--- End quote ---

I dealt with the same thing in St Louis. Their new arena was called the Kiel Center when it opened in the mid-90s. Since then, it's been called the Savvis Center, Scottrade Center, and is now the Enterprise Center. Everyone still calls it the Kiel Center. Of course, locals still refer to I-64 as Highway 40.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version