Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Illinois notes

<< < (407/415) > >>

edwaleni:

--- Quote from: skluth on August 05, 2021, 01:09:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: kphoger on August 03, 2021, 11:44:05 AM ---The alternative is to try and keep up with all the name changes as sponsorship changes.  When I last lived in the Chicago area, for example...

There was this thing called Comiskey Park.  It, along with it's previous iteration, had been Comiskey Park since 1975óbefore I was born.  Then it changed names to US Cellular Field.  OK, that was dumb.  Everyone just kept calling it Comiskey Park.  And, of course, that name only lasted for 13 years.  Now it's Guaranteed Rate Field.  Why bother calling it that when, in another few years, it'll probably just change names again, to Kotex Field or Pampers Park or GlaxoSmithCline Stadium or some such nonsense.

--- End quote ---

I dealt with the same thing in St Louis. Their new arena was called the Kiel Center when it opened in the mid-90s. Since then, it's been called the Savvis Center, Scottrade Center, and is now the Enterprise Center. Everyone still calls it the Kiel Center. Of course, locals still refer to I-64 as Highway 40.

--- End quote ---

Renaming stadiums is not very traditional, but as long as they don't take to renaming roads I will be OK.

Though, I can see a situation in some unknown future where some company will want to buy naming rights for a toll road.

Can one drive a road named after Budweiser? ("For all you do, this drive is for you") The Amazon Tollway?  Walgreens Memorial Tollroad? (S/B called "Sears Memorial since they are dead and Walgreens isn't)

You have to believe that is next in broke Illinois.

skluth:

--- Quote from: edwaleni on August 05, 2021, 02:51:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: kphoger on August 03, 2021, 11:44:05 AM ---The alternative is to try and keep up with all the name changes as sponsorship changes.  When I last lived in the Chicago area, for example...

There was this thing called Comiskey Park.  It, along with it's previous iteration, had been Comiskey Park since 1975óbefore I was born.  Then it changed names to US Cellular Field.  OK, that was dumb.  Everyone just kept calling it Comiskey Park.  And, of course, that name only lasted for 13 years.  Now it's Guaranteed Rate Field.  Why bother calling it that when, in another few years, it'll probably just change names again, to Kotex Field or Pampers Park or GlaxoSmithCline Stadium or some such nonsense.

--- End quote ---

I dealt with the same thing in St Louis. Their new arena was called the Kiel Center when it opened in the mid-90s. Since then, it's been called the Savvis Center, Scottrade Center, and is now the Enterprise Center. Everyone still calls it the Kiel Center. Of course, locals still refer to I-64 as Highway 40.

--- End quote ---

Renaming stadiums is not very traditional, but as long as they don't take to renaming roads I will be OK.

Though, I can see a situation in some unknown future where some company will want to buy naming rights for a toll road.

Can one drive a road named after Budweiser? ("For all you do, this drive is for you") The Amazon Tollway?  Walgreens Memorial Tollroad? (S/B called "Sears Memorial since they are dead and Walgreens isn't)

--- End quote ---

I think Walgreens would prefer their Tollroad to not be Memorial.

More seriously, this may be the way we pay for future freeways to avoid them being toll roads. As more cars go electric, monies from gas taxes will shrink and new funding sources will be needed. Sponsors could built overhead gantry electric signs advertising their businesses. There may even be levels of sponsorship; full naming rights, the occasional exclusive billboard, etc. I'm not thrilled with this idea, but as long as it doesn't involve cell phone companies having exclusive rights to cell towers along isolated routes (like Barstow to Vegas) I could live with it.

Crash_It:

--- Quote from: edwaleni on August 05, 2021, 02:51:02 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Not broke anymore, funding is sufficient for all road projects for the next 6 years. Everything in the MYP recently published is scheduled to happen.

paulthemapguy:

--- Quote from: edwaleni on August 05, 2021, 02:51:02 PM ---Renaming stadiums is not very traditional, but as long as they don't take to renaming roads I will be OK.

--- End quote ---

Lol no I don't, and oh god please no.

hobsini2:

--- Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 03, 2021, 11:02:26 AM ---Why do people get so hung up on the names of buildings and interchanges?  Sears moved out of the tower years ago.  Why should their name remain?

--- End quote ---

Stay outta Chicago business my frient. It will always be da Sears Tower!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version