Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Illinois notes

<< < (427/432) > >>

Crash_It:

--- Quote from: Hobart on January 03, 2022, 07:40:57 PM ---Alrighty so this probably doesn't deserve its own thread so I'm asking here.

I noticed every IDOT district in the state besides District 1 uses backplates on their pedestal mounted signals. District 1 (Chicagoland), as far as I know, is the only district that consistently doesn't.

I know IDOT District 1 likes to do things a bit differently, but is there a reason why they don't put backplates onto pedestal mounted signals? I think having backplates increases visibility, and allows District 1 to put retroreflective tape onto the edges of pedestal mounted signals.

--- End quote ---

There's quite a few of them down 53 in Bolingbrook and Romeoville. I've also seen them on Roosevelt and Butterfield. They are rolling them out gradually.

paulthemapguy:
IDOT's Construction plans from 2022 to 2027: https://idot.illinois.gov/Assets/uploads/files/Transportation-System/Reports/OP&P/HIP/2022-2027/2022-2027%20MYP%20Book%20-%20Internet%20Version.pdf

There's a LOT to look at in this document, but since I'm from the Joliet area, I'm going to focus on that area.

* It looks like I-55 is getting a repave from "south of Weber to south of I-80", costing over $51 million for construction alone. And it looks to be programmed for this year?
* A new interchange looks like it'll be constructed at I-55 and Airport Road/Lockport Street in Plainfield. Does anyone know what the configuration is supposed to look like?
* It looks like interchange reconstruction is slated for I-55 and IL-126 as well.
* A new interchange will be constructed on I-57 at Eagle Lake Road, just north of Peotone.  Does this have anything to do with the new Peotone airport?  Is that still supposed to become a reality?
* The conversion of I-80 to six lanes, from the US Route 30 exit to the Minooka exit, is listed. The bridge over the Des Plaines River and the construction elements right there alongside it are listed separately from the six-lane widening.
* The bridge for Black Road over I-55 is slated for a rehabilitation...right after a contractor closed part of it last summer to build the bicycle bridge immediately adjacent.
* Bridges over I-80 carrying Briggs Street, Gougar Road, Francis Road, and Wolf Road, are all going to be rebuilt.  The bridges at Briggs and Wolf will both be replaced with wider bridges than those currently standing.  The bridges at Briggs and Francis both have weight limits, and the Gougar Road bridge deck is in god-awful shape.  The 80th Avenue bridge in Mokena/Tinley Park has a deck that's in god-awful shape as well, but the repair/replacement of that bridge might be included in the county-level reconstruction that's slated to take place this year.
* It looks like US Route 52 (Jefferson St.) will be widened to four lanes west to River Road in Shorewood, and the interchange at I-55 will look a bit different.  The two access points created by the I-55 ramps are too close together, so I hope spacing those points apart (or combining them into a SPUI!) will take place.
* FINALLY, Illinois 129 will get a proper interchange connection at Interstate 55, to replace the pointless right-in right-out that sits there, only accessing the northbound lanes.

All in all, it looks like there's going to be an insane amount of road construction here the next several years.  It'll be a burden when it's ongoing, but good god is this area lightyears behind where it needs to be in terms of roadway infrastructure.

pianocello:

--- Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 28, 2022, 10:36:56 AM ---
* The conversion of I-80 to six lanes, from the US Route 30 exit to the Minooka exit, is listed. The bridge over the Des Plaines River and the construction elements right there alongside it are listed separately from the six-lane widening.
--- End quote ---

Man, thank God they're finally addressing this. I've always considered the straight, flat 4-lane stretch between Briggs St and US 30 to be among the most deceptively dangerous roads I've driven.

Brandon:

--- Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 28, 2022, 10:36:56 AM ---IDOT's Construction plans from 2022 to 2027: https://idot.illinois.gov/Assets/uploads/files/Transportation-System/Reports/OP&P/HIP/2022-2027/2022-2027%20MYP%20Book%20-%20Internet%20Version.pdf

There's a LOT to look at in this document, but since I'm from the Joliet area, I'm going to focus on that area.

* It looks like I-55 is getting a repave from "south of Weber to south of I-80", costing over $51 million for construction alone. And it looks to be programmed for this year?
--- End quote ---

That repave has been needed since about a year or two after IDOT widened it.  Whatever pavement mix they used is terrible.

--- Quote ---
* A new interchange looks like it'll be constructed at I-55 and Airport Road/Lockport Street in Plainfield. Does anyone know what the configuration is supposed to look like?
* It looks like interchange reconstruction is slated for I-55 and IL-126 as well.
--- End quote ---

I've seen quite a few studies on it.  It is, quite frankly, amazing that both will be built.  Romeoville wanted the Airport Road interchange, and Plainfield balked at that for ages, wanting a full interchange at IL-126 instead.

Airport and IL-126 Study.  There are several alternatives listed there.

--- Quote ---
* The bridge for Black Road over I-55 is slated for a rehabilitation...right after a contractor closed part of it last summer to build the bicycle bridge immediately adjacent.
--- End quote ---

That'll make people really happy.  Would've been better to time the two together, but, this is Illinois and IDOT...

--- Quote ---
* It looks like US Route 52 (Jefferson St.) will be widened to four lanes west to River Road in Shorewood, and the interchange at I-55 will look a bit different.  The two access points created by the I-55 ramps are too close together, so I hope spacing those points apart (or combining them into a SPUI!) will take place.
--- End quote ---

Should've been a SPUI when it was rebuilt from a squished cloverleaf in 1993.

paulthemapguy:

--- Quote from: Brandon on January 28, 2022, 07:22:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 28, 2022, 10:36:56 AM ---It looks like I-55 is getting a repave from "south of Weber to south of I-80", costing over $51 million for construction alone. And it looks to be programmed for this year?

--- End quote ---

That repave has been needed since about a year or two after IDOT widened it.  Whatever pavement mix they used is terrible.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 28, 2022, 10:36:56 AM ---A new interchange looks like it'll be constructed at I-55 and Airport Road/Lockport Street in Plainfield. Does anyone know what the configuration is supposed to look like?
It looks like interchange reconstruction is slated for I-55 and IL-126 as well.

--- End quote ---

I've seen quite a few studies on it.  It is, quite frankly, amazing that both will be built.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 28, 2022, 10:36:56 AM ---It looks like US Route 52 (Jefferson St.) will be widened to four lanes west to River Road in Shorewood, and the interchange at I-55 will look a bit different.  The two access points created by the I-55 ramps are too close together, so I hope spacing those points apart (or combining them into a SPUI!) will take place.

--- End quote ---
Should've been a SPUI when it was rebuilt from a squished cloverleaf in 1993.

--- End quote ---

Totally agreed on all three counts. Thanks for the link to the study.  I'd seen it years ago but had no idea they've made that much progress since then.  I'm still unclear though on which alternatives they actually chose-- they must have decided already if the interchanges are already planned for construction, right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version