Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Indiana Notes

<< < (440/457) > >>

sprjus4:
If the variable speed limit implementation was permitted to increase to 65 mph during times of congestion free flow, I feel like it would have more success.

Retaining the artificial 55 mph speed limit will not do anything. The sign will say 40 mph, people will still go 60+ mph when itís moving.

cabiness42:

--- Quote from: JREwing78 on July 24, 2021, 04:01:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on July 24, 2021, 03:44:59 AM ---Or how about raising the speed limit to 60-65 mph?  :hmmm:

--- End quote ---

Literally all that would do is reduce the severity of whatever speeding tickets are handed out. That 55 mph limit is universally ignored.

--- End quote ---

As someone who drives this road frequently and can literally see it out my window, I do think raising the speed limit would help a little bit. Not many people go the speed limit, but those that do force the faster traffic farther left by one lane, which contributes to the congesting. You end up with most of the trucks in the 2nd/3rd lanes as opposed to the 1st/2nd lanes because of those few cars that are going 50-55.

sprjus4:
Agreed. Artificially low limits create hazards between those following the limit (55 mph) and those traveling a reasonable speed (65-75 mph) for the roadway design. A more appropriate limit, likely 65 mph on an urban freeway in Indiana, would lead to more compliance.

Indiana increased a bunch of urban limits in the southern part of the state towards Louisville, all from 55 mph to 65 mph, compliance greatly increased and actual speeds did not change that much. Why canít they do that towards Chicago, the Indianapolis area, and that god-forsaken 55 mph zone on I-69 through Bloomington?

JoePCool14:

--- Quote from: sprjus4 on July 26, 2021, 07:06:54 PM ---Agreed. Artificially low limits create hazards between those following the limit (55 mph) and those traveling a reasonable speed (65-75 mph) for the roadway design. A more appropriate limit, likely 65 mph on an urban freeway in Indiana, would lead to more compliance.

Indiana increased a bunch of urban limits in the southern part of the state towards Louisville, all from 55 mph to 65 mph, compliance greatly increased and actual speeds did not change that much. Why canít they do that towards Chicago, the Indianapolis area, and that god-forsaken 55 mph zone on I-69 through Bloomington?

--- End quote ---

Because there are too many people who still think higher speed limits equal millions of deaths.

Speed limit increase to 65 would be great on 465.

silverback1065:

--- Quote from: cabiness42 on July 26, 2021, 06:56:41 PM ---
--- Quote from: JREwing78 on July 24, 2021, 04:01:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on July 24, 2021, 03:44:59 AM ---Or how about raising the speed limit to 60-65 mph?  :hmmm:

--- End quote ---

Literally all that would do is reduce the severity of whatever speeding tickets are handed out. That 55 mph limit is universally ignored.

--- End quote ---

As someone who drives this road frequently and can literally see it out my window, I do think raising the speed limit would help a little bit. Not many people go the speed limit, but those that do force the faster traffic farther left by one lane, which contributes to the congesting. You end up with most of the trucks in the 2nd/3rd lanes as opposed to the 1st/2nd lanes because of those few cars that are going 50-55.

--- End quote ---
Did you read the star article on this? 97% of people go way over 55

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version