Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Illinois interesting bid annoucements

<< < (62/62)

inkyatari:

--- Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 14, 2021, 04:53:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: Rick Powell on September 14, 2021, 03:41:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 14, 2021, 01:39:10 PM ---I realize this is getting off topic a bit, but just to add to this discussion, those bridges are in desperate need of replacement, as they seem to be closed or partially closed for repairs or maintenance every few years at this point. Truly, I-55 needs widening to at least the Arsenal exit, but even down to Bluff Road would alleviate some of the quick merging the trucks have to do going South right after the I-80 interchange. A lot of truck traffic does come off I-80 going towards the DCs and Arsenal.

--- End quote ---
Anecdotally, I see a lot more trucks on IL 47 between Morris and Dwight these days, especially when there is bridge work on the I-55 Des Plaines bridge. IDOT sometimes signs it as an alternate route.

--- End quote ---
Either that, or a longer-range bypass (if traveling to points further downstate), I-80 to I-39, which I have done at times to avoid I-55 construction traffic.

--- End quote ---

I could have sworn I read somewhere that Grundy County was authorizing a study looking into widening 47 between Morris and Dwight. I haven't been able to find the article, so I think I may have just imagined it

Rick Powell:

--- Quote from: inkyatari on September 18, 2021, 02:43:16 AM ---I could have sworn I read somewhere that Grundy County was authorizing a study looking into widening 47 between Morris and Dwight. I haven't been able to find the article, so I think I may have just imagined it

--- End quote ---
When I was at IDOT District 3, the Feds were pushing IDOT to widen IL 47 all the way down to IL 113 as part of the IL River replacement/add lanes project. IDOT pushed back and finally the Feds agreed to let them end the 4 lane section at Southmor Road instead. Typically counties will not study a state road unless there is something in it for them. Grundy did start the study for the Brisbin Road interchange on I-80, but IDOT had to complete it when the county ran out of money, and then IDOT got federal funding and an earmark to build it. I have not heard that Grundy is spending money on a study of the IL 47 corridor but would not be surprised if they are encouraging IDOT to look at it.

IDOT is soon replacing the IL 47 overhead bridge at I-55 in Dwight, which is currently set up for 4 lanes. The "TS&L" plans for the new bridge have it being replaced with a 4 lane design, which bodes well for continuing to look at an added lane to fill the gap between I-55 and Southmor Road sometime in the future. You can find the plan here.
https://idot.illinois.gov/Assets/uploads/files/Doing-Business/Standards/Bridge-TSL-Drawings/0320125TSL-20191015.pdf

US20IL64:
Was on that IL-47 bridge over 55 and it's under construction now,

Revive 755:
List of projects for the November 5, 2021 Letting is up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version