News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Years Road Enthusiast Resolutions

Started by corco, December 31, 2009, 06:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

With the onset of the New Year, I'm sure we all have road-related things we want to accomplish in the next year. Write them here so we can harass you later when you don't do them  :sombrero:

Mine are:

1. Finish the Wyoming state highway system
2. Drive to North Dakota
3. Drive to Texas
4. Drive to New Mexico
5. (long shot) Clinch US-59
6. Surpass last year's county total (162)
7. Attend a road meet

SSOWorld

I'd do this except - the financial situation prevents that - Ideally I'd say drive to California and back.  (yes I said drive)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

yanksfan6129

1. Drive to a road meet on my own (this part can only be accomplished after June 12th 2009)
2. Hell, drive anywhere on my own
3. Purchase a motor vehicle of my own for the primary purpose of driving to school

Scott5114

Drive to California. Clinch the rest of the counties in Texas north of I-40 that I need. Clinch the remaining counties I don't have that border OK.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Chris

Do at least 4 multi-country roadtrips this year. That is my New Year's resolution.

I'm not sure what, how and when, but I want to go to Spain, Sweden/Norway, Poland and Hungary/Slovakia. We'll see.

Bryant5493

1) Film I-520, in both Georgia and South Carolina (DONE)
2) Film U.S. 441 through the Great Smoky Mtns. Natl. Pk., Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, as well as the Gatlinburg Bypass
3) Film I-295 in Jacksonville, Florida

That's a short list.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Truvelo

I would like to drive in each of the remaining lower 48 states I haven't yet been to but with the recent Nigerian plane attack and the resulting undignified flying experience from now on I may stick to driving in the European countries I've yet to visit instead.
Speed limits limit life

US71

To post at least 2400 NEW photos to my Flickr pages  :D
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

njroadhorse

1. Drive somewhere other my home county by myself
2. Attend a road meet once in college (this fall, and maybe I'll have my car).
3. Clinch at least one interstate in NJ
4. Take more pictures.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

mightyace

1) To get up to and stay up to date on recording the construction of the remaining part of the TN 840 south loop.
2) To attend at least one road meet.
3) Take more photos on the road.
4) Start digitizing film photo collection.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alps

1) Drive to Michigan's Upper Peninsula and around to Toronto - DONE
2) Clinch remaining I-96, I-94, I-196 in Michigan
3) Clinch another NJ county or two (every mile of every county route)
4) Make a big dent in my Maryland SR clinching
5) Get back up to Boston and somehow not reuse roads I've already taken
6) Drive to PEI and Newfoundland for the first time
7) Drive large parts of Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma that I haven't seen

jdb1234

1) Sort through all the photos I have (need to be dated and named)
2) Finish photographing all of the old signs in Birmingham (I know where most of them are, one photo I took is an old style County shield)
3) Finish producing a video that I took of a stretch of US 280 (I haven't worked on it since October).
4) Take more photos.

joseph1723

1) Add more road signs to my collection (I've gotten a few new signs and some highway markers)
2) Take more photos (Well, I have taken a lot more pictures now)
3) Sort through all of my new and existing photos by highway # (Haven't gotten to that yet)

Ian

1) Like joseph1723, I too want to add more road signs to my collection but same goes for traffic signals aswell
2) Like everyone else, I to want to get more road photos. I am setting a goal for 1,500. Lets make this happen Ian...
3) Attend a road meet
4) Get as many old road sign/traffic signal shots as I can
5) Later in the Spring, my family is planning a trip to Florida to see family. I hope it can happen so I can get some older road sign shots down there.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Dougtone

1) Visit a new state, possibly more (I've been to 40 states so far).
2) Be up to date with my road photos on Flickr.
3) Clinch one of the island counties of Massachusetts (probably Dukes County aka Martha's Vineyard).
4) Visit the Canadian province of New Brunswick.
5) Take many enjoyable road trips.

agentsteel53

Quote from: dougtone on January 06, 2010, 04:46:26 PM
3) Clinch one of the island counties of Massachusetts (probably Dukes County aka Martha's Vineyard).

man am I glad my family and I went to both islands several times when I was about six to eight years old.  Those places are a bitch to drive to.  Your three options are a ferry, an aquacar, or being Travis Pastrana.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

njroadhorse

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 06, 2010, 04:53:38 PM
Your three options are a ferry, an aquacar, or being Travis Pastrana.
Can there be a new road enthusiast record for attempting to clinch a county by imitating Travis? ;-)
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Dougtone

Going to Martha's Vineyard by ferry (I'd walk on a ferry and bike around the Vineyard) is not a bad deal, especially when going off-season.  Nantucket's a bit more of a trek, though.

oscar

Quote from: dougtone on January 06, 2010, 04:46:26 PM

If you only want to snag those two island counties, without staying overnight or doing much sightseeing, you might be able to do a triangular day trip by ferry to both counties.  I did that in 2004.

As for my own goals, my only major one is to finish off the U.S. counties I haven't clinched.  I have 231 left, but they are conveniently clustered in the middle of the country (one of the few things I managed last year, before work and health issues got in the way, was to finish off Alaska), so that seems manageable.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

agentsteel53

Quote from: oscar on January 06, 2010, 06:47:14 PM
I have 231 left, but they are conveniently clustered in the middle of the country

I got 279 or so on my last major midwest trip in a week; it's certainly doable.  Be prepared for some 200 mile spur routes to nowhere, though!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

yakra

1. Get a passport and hit New Brunswick.
1½. Clinch ME9.
2. Sort out old photos, termini and other stuff that have been collecting dust since `06; put`em online.
3. Continue to clinch more of the ME hwy system, and snap termini.
4. Be less OCD about the Cmap project.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Bryant5493

I'm trying to plan a trip to the Memphis/Southaven area, to film Future I-22. I drove it four or five years ago, back when Future I-22 ended at Industrial Parkway in Jasper. That was, of course, before I started filiming my drives. :-(

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.