City's and Towns In more Then One County

Started by mapman1071, May 19, 2010, 08:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mapman1071

Other then Peoria, AZ (Maricopa & Yavapai Counties) & Queen Creek, AZ (Maricopa & Pinal Counties) 
What other city's have boundarys in 2 or more county's

City-County (Example New York City 5 Counties do not count..

allniter89

Milford, DE, Kent & Sussex Cos.
Marydel, Kent Co, DE & Caroline Co, MD
Delmar, Sussex Co, DE & Wicomico Co, MD
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

mapman1071

Quote from: allniter89 on May 19, 2010, 08:46:06 PM
Texarkana, Bowie Co, Tx & Miller Co, AR
Texarkana is 2 Separate cities

corco

Lloydminster AB/SK straddles the Alberta-Saskatchewan border and is one political entity- that's possibly the only instance of one town straddling a state/provincial line. Bristol is two towns too, I believe.

allniter89

Quote from: mapman1071 on May 19, 2010, 09:00:44 PM
Texarkana, Bowie Co, Tx & Miller Co, AR
Texarkana is 2 Separate cities
I stand corrected. Omission is complete.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

huskeroadgeek

Kansas City, MO is in 3 different counties-Clay, Jackson & Platte. Joplin, MO is in 2-Jasper & Newton. In my home state of Nebraska, the small town of Emerson(pop. 817) is in 3 different counties-Dakota, Dixon & Thurston. There are others-these are ones that come off the top of my head.
Broomfield, CO used to be in 4 different counties-Adams, Boulder, Jefferson & Weld, but because of the confusion of being in 4 different counties, they split off in 2001 and formed their own county.

mapman

California law doesn't allow a city to be in more than one county.   :no:

SP Cook

West Virginia has 4.

95% of Huntington is in Cabell County, of which it is the county seat.  However 5% of it is in Wayne.
99% of Wheeling is in Ohio County, of which it is the county seat.  However 1% is in Marshall.
Nitro (and yes it was named for the explosive, made there during WWI) is split about evenly between Kanawha and Putnam.
Weirton is split about evenly Brooke and Hancock. 

BTW, Bluefield, Mercer County, WV and Bluefield, Tazewell County, Virginia, are seperate political entities and neither existed at the time of Virginia's seperation in 1863 and thus have always been seperate.

dfilpus

North Carolina towns cross county lines at will. Chapel Hill extends into Durham County. Durham extends into Orange and Wake Counties. Mebane is split between Alamance and Orange Counties. There are a lot more.

Brandon

In more than one county?  Municipalities (cities and villages) cross county lines at will from Chicago at one end of the scale (Cook and DuPage) to Streator at the other (LaSalle and Livingston) and anywhere from two counties to four counties (yes, Aurora, I'm looking at you! Kane, DuPage, Kendall, and Will).  Simply put, the number is too much for the bandwidth here.

Illinois municipal boundaries are only limited by the following:
1. Surrounding municipalities.  A municipality can become landlocked by other municipalities.
2. Boundary agreements with surrounding municipalities in unincorporated areas.
3. As much land as a municipality can annex up to the state line.
4. Property owners who wish not to annexed and are large enough (or have a big enough group) to avoid forced annexation.
That's it.

(Added as an afterthought)

Municipalities can annex through forest preserves, but cannot annex the forest preserve itself.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

elsmere241

Delmar is two entities, though they share some facilities and services.
Marydel isn't incorporated in Delaware, I don't know about Maryland.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Columbus's encorporation line has drifted beyond Franklin Co to include parts of neighboring Delaware and Fairfield Counties. The suburbs of Dublin, Westerville, and Reynoldsburg are multiple counties as well.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

tmthyvs

Aurora, CO (Adams, Arapahoe, Douglas)
Littleton, CO (Arapahoe, Douglas, Jefferson)

and probably a couple more further north.

njroadhorse

Telford, PA is located in both Bucks and Montgomery Counties.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

golden eagle

Jackson is in three counties. Most of it is in Hinds County. The very northern tip is in Madison County and the airport (which is city property) is in Rankin.

Most of Hattiesburg is in Forrest County, while the western part is in Lamar.

Atlanta is in Fulton and Dekalb County.

Revive 755

Pacific, MO crossing into St. Louis County.

If memory serves, the city of St. Charles, MO, tried to annex the Earth City area in St. Louis County within the last 20 years, but was unsuccessful.

national highway 1

Carlingford, NSW is in three council areas, Hornsby, The Hills & Parramatta
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Bryant5493

Georgia cities:

College Park's in Fulton and Clayton counties.
Buford's in Gwinnett and Hall counties.
Loganville's in Gwinnett and Walton counties.
Social Circle's in Newton and Walton counties.
Mansfield's in Newton and Jasper counties.
Braselton's in Barrow, Gwinnett, Hall, and Jackson counties.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

mgk920

Quote from: Brandon on May 20, 2010, 11:03:06 AM
In more than one county?  Municipalities (cities and villages) cross county lines at will from Chicago at one end of the scale (Cook and DuPage) to Streator at the other (LaSalle and Livingston) and anywhere from two counties to four counties (yes, Aurora, I'm looking at you! Kane, DuPage, Kendall, and Will).  Simply put, the number is too much for the bandwidth here.

Barrington Hills, IL is also in four counties (Cook, Kane, Lake and McHenry).

In Wisconsin, Appleton is in three counties (Calumet, Outagamie and Winnebago).  Several other Wisconsin munis are also in three counties (ie, Milwaukee, Pulaski, Wisconsin Dells, etc).

Mike

golden eagle

Quote from: Bryant5493 on May 21, 2010, 11:19:55 AM
Georgia cities:

Buford's in Gwinnett and Hall counties.
Loganville's in Gwinnett and Walton counties.

Georgia's a big offender of this. I didn't know Buford was in two counties. I forgot about Loganville. I know someone who lives in Grayson and I remember having to go to Wal-Mart in Loganville and saw the sign for Walton County.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Duluth in two counties? I should know it since I used to live there. I used to work off Medlock Bridge in Fulton County and it had a Duluth address.

US71

Springdale, AR.

Mostly in Washington County, but some is in Benton County
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Tulsa is in 4 counties (Tulsa, Wagoner, Osage, and Rogers.)

Bryant5493

Quote from: golden eagle on May 21, 2010, 10:03:45 PM
Georgia's a big offender of this. I didn't know Buford was in two counties. I forgot about Loganville. I know someone who lives in Grayson and I remember having to go to Wal-Mart in Loganville and saw the sign for Walton County.

Yeah, with annexation, it gets very crazy.

Looked up Buford awhile back on wikipedia, because I was putting together a YouTube video of Buford Highway (S.R. 13). Additionally, I used Gwinnett and Hall's GIS mapping systems. And, yeah, that Wal*Mart's right on the Gwinnett-Walton line.

Quote from: golden eagle on May 21, 2010, 10:03:45 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Duluth in two counties? I should know it since I used to live there. I used to work off Medlock Bridge in Fulton County and it had a Duluth address.

Duluth is just in Gwinnett. The portion in Fulton is unincorporated Duluth. It's just Duluth because it falls into that zip code, which the Post Office uses to deliver mail.

Addendum: The portion off of Medlock Bridge Road in Fulton County that has/had the Duluth address is now the City of Johns Creek.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

burgess87

The City of Elgin, TX has city limits in Bastrop & Travis counties.  I am unsure at this time whether any portion of Elgin extends into Williamson County.

njroadhorse

Lots of places around Houston do this too:
- Baytown (Harris and Chambers)
- Friendswood (Harris and Galveston)
- Katy (Harris, Fort Bend, and Waller)
- Pearland (Harris, Fort Bend, and Brazoria)
- League City (Harris and Galveston)

as well as many others in the area.  Heck, even Houston stretches into Fort Bend, Motngomery, and maybe Brazoria counties too.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.