News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Merges from the left are sinister.

(Taken from the progetto esecutivo for ANAS contract BA 05/23, for rehabilitation work on the west part of the Foggia ring road.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jakeroot

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 02, 2023, 01:17:23 AM

(Taken from the progetto esecutivo for ANAS contract BA 05/23, for rehabilitation work on the west part of the Foggia ring road.)

I'm not sure I fully understand what that sign is trying to say.

If I was driving down the road, and had to make sense of the sign immediately, I would assume that it's saying something about a dangerous "confluence" ; of lanes, roads, not sure.

formulanone

Quote from: jakeroot on April 04, 2023, 01:21:26 AM

If I was driving down the road, and had to make sense of the sign immediately, I would assume that it's saying something about a dangerous "confluence" ; of lanes, roads, not sure.

60 meters doesn't seem like a lot of time to react, unless it's a bike path.

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on April 04, 2023, 07:40:18 AM

Woah, great point. I don't think I fully grasped that distance until you pointed it out. I think in my head, I was filling in an extra '0'.

60 meters of advanced warning for a merge(?) seems very short...perhaps that's why J N posted it, then.

bcroadguy

formulanone

Quote from: formulanone on April 04, 2023, 07:40:18 AM

I’m not sure I fully understand what that sign is trying to say.

If I was driving down the road, and had to make sense of the sign immediately, I would assume that it’s saying something about a dangerous “confluence”; of lanes, roads, not sure.

Quote from: jakeroot on April 06, 2023, 06:28:12 PM

Woah, great point. I don't think I fully grasped that distance until you pointed it out. I think in my head, I was filling in an extra '0'.

60 meters of advanced warning for a merge(?) seems very short...perhaps that's why J N posted it, then.

Maybe that's why it's sinister. (I know, it's Latin root means "left".)

1995hoo

Quote from: formulanone on April 07, 2023, 08:31:17 AM

If you ever watch F1, you may notice the Ferrari tire blankets are labelled in Italian (the other teams use English). While I recognize the Latin roots (I took six years of Latin), the word "Destro" for the front right still, all these years later, calls to mind a GI Joe cartoon character.

That's what it means. It's calling your attention to a merge from the left in 60 m.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

JoePCool14

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 07, 2023, 08:39:44 AM
Quote from: formulanone on April 07, 2023, 08:31:17 AM

If you ever watch F1, you may notice the Ferrari tire blankets are labelled in Italian (the other teams use English). While I recognize the Latin roots (I took six years of Latin), the word "Destro" for the front right still, all these years later, calls to mind a GI Joe cartoon character.

Doesn't matter what language Ferrari use on their tyre blankets, they'll always be speaking their native language of Clown.  :pan:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

odditude

Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2023, 12:10:39 PM
For those interested in Colorado's county road shields, Matt Salek has a page about them on his now-defunct site.  Nearly all of the images are dead links, but the info is still there in text form.

https://www.mesalek.com/colo/countynum.html

Wayback Machine to the rescue

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

wanderer2575

Brand new sign installed today on the corner of my home lot, opposite the side street.  The post was installed Friday and I had a hunch the sign would be something like this.  I don't think this is in the MUTCD; it's a combination of a R3-2 (no left turn) and a R3-27 (no straight ahead).  Installed for additional control of the weekday morning and afternoon parade of mom-mobiles dropping off and picking up the little tykes from the parochial school down the street.  Doesn't affect me except that it's one more obstacle I'll have to face when mowing the lawn.

roadman65

This one with a later added US 17 shield couldn't have the engineer gauge it out first.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

plain

All of those signs (as well as several others in Wilmington) needs to be replaced.
Newark born, Richmond bred

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: roadman65 on April 11, 2023, 12:38:56 PM
This one with a later added US 17 shield couldn't have the engineer gauge it out first.

Jesus, I know roadgeeks love when old road signs stay up, but with how unreadable this is, it should be replaced.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Scott5114

Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 11, 2023, 09:18:02 PM
Jesus, I know roadgeeks love when old road signs stay up, but with how unreadable this is, it should be replaced.

Roadgeeks love when good old road signs stay up. Those suck.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 12, 2023, 03:53:00 AM

Unpopular opinion, but a lot of old signs sucked when they were put up. I feel like too many roadgeeks consider old to be automatically good, which isn't always true (I-190 in NY says hi).
—Mr. Thwomp

Scott5114

Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 12, 2023, 04:16:30 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 12, 2023, 03:53:00 AM

Unpopular opinion, but a lot of old signs sucked when they were put up. I feel like too many roadgeeks consider old to be automatically good, which isn't always true (I-190 in NY says hi).

"Old" in this case means "anything before 1970".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: odditude on April 09, 2023, 07:46:27 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2023, 12:10:39 PM
For those interested in Colorado's county road shields, Matt Salek has a page about them on his now-defunct site.  Nearly all of the images are dead links, but the info is still there in text form.

https://www.mesalek.com/colo/countynum.html

Wayback Machine to the rescue

This was quite informative, actually. I never have been able to figure out why we have roads like "54G" and "52E".
TIL.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

JoePCool14

Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 10, 2023, 09:29:28 PM
Brand new sign installed today on the corner of my home lot, opposite the side street.  The post was installed Friday and I had a hunch the sign would be something like this.  I don't think this is in the MUTCD; it's a combination of a R3-2 (no left turn) and a R3-27 (no straight ahead).  Installed for additional control of the weekday morning and afternoon parade of mom-mobiles dropping off and picking up the little tykes from the parochial school down the street.  Doesn't affect me except that it's one more obstacle I'll have to face when mowing the lawn.

I think if I lived there, I'd order a custom sign that says the same thing as the lower sign and get rid of that Clearview.  :-D

As a side note, I find it incredibly frustrating the way neighborhoods get to block parents from picking up or dropping off kids from school. I don't think it's fair, unless your streets are private. Public streets should be fair game. Otherwise you end up funneling everyone to one or two locations and it just doesn't work.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 12, 2023, 10:08:57 AM
As a side note, I find it incredibly frustrating the way neighborhoods get to block parents from picking up or dropping off kids from school. I don't think it's fair, unless your streets are private. Public streets should be fair game. Otherwise you end up funneling everyone to one or two locations and it just doesn't work.
To me, it just sounds like some people who can't stand noise moved next to a school for some reason and then complained that there's noise near the school. And towns love to bend over to just about any idiot without any decision making.
—Mr. Thwomp

jrStudios

Photo from a 2007 capture via Google Maps.

This is a weird one.
This sign was likely a 1989 holdout. (If you wonder why I had that date, look at the highway plan photo in the Kentucky tab)

There is no mention of I-264 on this sign, therefore likely breaking MUTCD rules, despite Kentucky using the national MUTCD standard.

JoePCool14

It's basically another form of NIMBYism, and one of the dumbest variants at that. Schools are inherently local entities, as opposed to venues or shopping centers. So the people you're upset about are... your neighbors or close-to neighbors.

I live one house away from a school. Parents line the street in the morning and the afternoon on school days. Yes, it gets a bit chaotic, but only for about 20 minutes each time. The morning isn't even that bad, since that's more staggered. And I'm not even home to see either of them, I'm at work! So there's no reason I'd bug the village to do something about it. There's nothing to fix.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.