News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Portmanteau roads

Started by Bruce, July 09, 2020, 12:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Just wondering what kind of roads you've spotted that smash together the names of two areas on its route.

An example: Armar Road connects Arlington and Marysville, WA.

US 89

Occidental Tourist

Low hanging fruit: Broadway

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on July 09, 2020, 01:15:48 AM
Low hanging fruit: Broadway

Technically, this is not a portmanteau, since it combines two words together, and not parts of two words.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kurumi

My article about the Sasson Expressway in Sapporo, where "Sas" is for Sapporo, and "son" is for Otaru, the city at the other end. Wait, how does that...?

It's explained (in English) here: http://kurumi.com/jp/2017/08/26/t-sasson.html
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

KCRoadFan

Cin-Day Road in Ohio, which connects Cincinnati and Dayton.

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Scott5114

The Talimena Drive scenic route (OK 1/AR 88) connects Talihina, Oklahoma with Mena, Arkansas.

Isn't there an example of something like this happening with a numbered route? Where a route connecting, say, Route 3 and Route 67 is numbered 367?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

wriddle082

The Cherohala Skyway (TN 165 and NC 143).  Runs through the Cherokee and Nantahala National Forests in Tennessee and North Carolina.

catch22

My personal favorite:  Clarabella Road, on the border of Clare and Isabella Counties in Michigan.

https://goo.gl/maps/HNUoTq2wW89BJKuc8

webny99

Pen Web Park is near (but not exactly on) the border between Penfield and Webster, NY.

Also, not a road, but I just realized the other day that Delmarva (the peninsula) is a portmanteau for Delaware, Maryland, Virginia.
Wow, that should have been obvious.

westerninterloper

Quote from: kurumi on July 09, 2020, 01:37:26 AM
My article about the Sasson Expressway in Sapporo, where "Sas" is for Sapporo, and "son" is for Otaru, the city at the other end. Wait, how does that...?

It's explained (in English) here: http://kurumi.com/jp/2017/08/26/t-sasson.html

I've been on that road! I lived in Sapporo for two years. :)
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

noelbotevera

Penn Yan, New York is named for its original settlers from Pennsylvania and New England - the latter called Yankees.

jmacswimmer

I recall seeing a Hurontario Street from the 401 and the QEW last time I was in Toronto over a year ago.

Quote from: webny99 on July 09, 2020, 07:51:53 AM
Also, not a road, but I just realized the other day that Delmarva (the peninsula) is a portmanteau for Delaware, Maryland, Virginia.
Wow, that should have been obvious.

Similarly, Delmar Road (MD/DE 54) runs atop the southern E-W portion of the Maryland-Delaware border.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Takumi

Surprised Tamiami Trail hasn't been mentioned yet. US 41 between Tampa and Miami.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

webny99

Quote from: jmacswimmer on July 09, 2020, 11:58:49 AM
I recall seeing a Hurontario Street from the 401 and the QEW last time I was in Toronto over a year ago.

That's a great one! I knew it was a combination of the two lake names, but never thought about the fact that it actually connects the two lakes as well.

Brandon

Here's the opposite, a portmanteau for a municipality due to roads: Northlake, Illinois.  So named as it's at North Avenue (IL-64) and Lake Street (US-20).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Brandon

Michiana Drive, on the border between Michiana, Michigan and Michiana Shores, Indiana.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

NWI_Irish96

Not a grammar expert so I don't know if a hyphen disqualifies something as a portmanteau, but if not:

Cal-Sag road in Cook County, IL, is named for the Cal-Sag channel, which is short for Calumet-Saganashkee
A short street in Hammond, IN, is the Indi-Illi parkway
The Plymouth-Goshen Trail in Marshall and Elkhart Counties in Indiana is unofficially shortened to Ply-Gos Trail
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Stephane Dumas

The Alaska highway was once known as the Alcan highway for Alaska - Canada in old promotionnal movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ul_BOuqlTQ

jdbx

Around here:

Alcosta Boulevard straddles the county line between Alameda County and Contra Costa County.

Claycord Avenue while wholly within the city of Concord, intersects with Clayton Road (which leads to the down of Clayton).

Big John

Mancal Rd is on the border of Manitowoc and Calumet Counties, Wisconsin.

kphoger

Does Claycomo Road count?  It's named after the town it's in, which is a portmanteau of Clay County, Missouri.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadrunner75

NJ Route 47 is known as Delsea Drive, since it connects the Delaware River to the sea.

Henry

If cancelled projects can be included, then I'll name the Illiana Expressway, which combines the names of two neighboring states (Illinois and Indiana).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.