News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Numbering new exits when route is extended west/south of exit 1

Started by highwaytuna, July 13, 2022, 07:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: wriddle082 on July 13, 2022, 08:58:46 PM
I suppose in the future, I-49 in NW AR will have to be renumbered when it finally connects with the SW AR section.  Or any time after they determine the final route of the middle section.  It looks like right now NW AR I-49 is still using the old I-540 exit numbers.

When I-26 in TN was extended over the remainder of I-181 to Kingsport, all of the exit numbers were renumbered to start at US 11W in Kingsport.  Prior to this the exit numbers were based on US 23 and started at the NC line.  So at the TN/NC line you were at mm 0 for both states.

In KY, the Natcher Pkwy was extended SE from I-65 to US 231 in the 00's, and all of the exit #s along the entire original road were increased by 2 or 3.  Then a few years ago the original road was upgraded to I-165, but this did not include the SE extension, which became the Natcher's formerly unposted state route designation of KY 9007.  So basically I-165 reverted back to the Natcher Pkwy's original pre-extension exit numbers.

Not sure how I missed this original post, because the Natcher example above is what I was going to provide.

I was told that there might be an instance or two where the third-generation exit numbers might not match the original numbers, and they might be different by 1, but I haven't gone back to check to see if that's actually the case.

Kentucky's about to have the opposite happen. With the extension of I-265 across the East End Bridge, the Gene Snyder Freeway's exit numbers are going to start at I-65. They now start at US 31W/US 60.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MATraveler128

At one time, I-93 was proposed to be extended down MA 24 towards Fall River. This was back in 2010 and of course that plan is dead. I wonder if MassDOT would've kept the sequential numbers at the time or if they would've switched to mileage based numbers had that happened.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

kphoger

Quote from: Henry on July 14, 2022, 12:54:44 PM

I suppose in the future, I-49 in NW AR will have to be renumbered when it finally connects with the SW AR section.  Or any time after they determine the final route of the middle section.  It looks like right now NW AR I-49 is still using the old I-540 exit numbers.

It's actually a mix of old and new. The Bella Vista Bypass has the full I-49 exit numbers already set up, while the former I-540 is keeping its numbers for now. Perhaps they could've pulled an I-69 and slapped a 2 before the old numbers, but what good would that do? Most of us may never get to travel on I-49 through AR, so we're stuck with the current scheme for a while longer.

Let's not forget, I-540 itself had wonky exit numbers due to an extension to the north.  They increased both northbound from I-40 and southbound from I-40.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MikieTimT

It's actually a mix of old and new. The Bella Vista Bypass has the full I-49 exit numbers already set up, while the former I-540 is keeping its numbers for now. Perhaps they could've pulled an I-69 and slapped a 2 before the old numbers, but what good would that do? Most of us may never get to travel on I-49 through AR, so we're stuck with the current scheme for a while longer.

While this was true at first, ARDOT "corrected" the northern 3 exit numbers after a few weeks of the Bella Vista Bypass being completed and signed.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3324.msg2698027#msg2698027

AR-549 in Ft. Smith/Barling actually has the appropriate exit numbers currently, but I'd wager that once they cross the Arkansas River Valley with the missing carriageway, or at least a Super-2 precursor, they "correct" the exits to make Exit 1 to be US-71 south of Rye Hill as it likely be decades before the middle miles get funded all the way to Texarkana, even with a Super-2.

ran4sh

Quote from: kphoger on March 21, 2023, 04:05:40 PM

Let's not forget, I-540 itself had wonky exit numbers due to an extension to the north.  They increased both northbound from I-40 and southbound from I-40.

Technically that's MUTCD compliant (the MUTCD doesn't have any example of 2-way spur numbering, but for 1 way spur it begins from the parent freeway and extends until the spur ends)
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

roadman65

Quote from: ran4sh on May 02, 2023, 09:39:06 PM

Technically that's MUTCD compliant (the MUTCD doesn't have any example of 2-way spur numbering, but for 1 way spur it begins from the parent freeway and extends until the spur ends)

It's not as bad as Future I-795 in Florida going North to South and away from its future parent.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: roadman65 on May 02, 2023, 10:15:51 PM
Quote from: ran4sh on May 02, 2023, 09:39:06 PM

It's not as bad as Future I-795 in Florida going North to South and away from its future parent.

It works when you think of FL 9B (future I-795) being a spur of I-295/FL 9A.

SSR_317

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 20, 2022, 11:01:08 PM
At least it's more accurate than the original segment of I-69 in IN. You have Exit 200 for what's supposed to be 184, and everything else past that is 16 off as well.
That was done because the exits had existed since the 1960s along the original I-69 and it was simpler for people to understand the new ones were all going to be the old numbers plus 200. Plus, at the time, the exact routing for the southern extension of I-69 had not been finalized, and rather than waiting for that to occur, INDOT just went ahead with the "+200" scheme for "Classic I-69". Because it was always assumed (after the 1970s) that the connection between the southern extension and classic sections of I-69 would be via a multiplex with I-465, and that no I-465 exit numbers would change as a result, it really doesn't matter that the mileage doesn't add up because the route is discontinuous anyway.

In my not-so humble opinion, the southern extension of I-69 between Memphis & Indy SHOULD have been designated as I-63 in the first place, which would have made the more sense in the grand numbering scheme of Interstates, as well as rendering the renumbering of along Classic I-69 in Indiana a moot issue. But I understand why it was designated as I-69, though it sadly will never be completed nationwide in my lifetime. Hey, it only took most of a lifetime for my state to get it built to Evansville!

ethanhopkin14

Funny thing is, the best example of this situation is I-17 in Phoenix, but famously, I-17 ended at mile post 201.6 and not 0, so oh well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.