Town on mileage sign near its exit, but still relatively far away from town

Started by tman, January 16, 2023, 10:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tman

Any good examples of distance signs that show a town/destination which is relatively far from the current point, but which have their exit relatively close to the current point (that is, the signs show destinations that are relatively far from the highway they are on, served by exits that are relatively nearby)? The question is probably best illustrated with an example. I've noticed this a number of times in Iowa -

In this example, the first line on the distance sign is Greenfield (16 miles). However, Greenfield's exit on I-80 is just three miles from this sign, and Greenfield lies 13 miles south of that exit on I-80.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4960527,-94.5036612,3a,75y,75.71h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPV_AZHacbp4Q6SJp8sao4w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Similarly, in this example, the first line on the distance sign is Sidney (16 miles), though it's only about 5 miles from here to the Sidney exit on I-29 (then around 11 miles on IA 2). (Another issue with this sign is that it's only 11 miles via local roads from the interchange the sign is posted at to Sidney, but 16 via the state highway/Interstate route in question.)

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7430841,-95.8177852,3a,75y,163.34h,101.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sf4ZeP0LsgrIkjDF1x30UBQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

One more example - Redfield is 8 miles from this sign, but its exit off of I-80 is about 3 miles away (and the town lies around 5 miles to the north of I-80).

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5178336,-94.1430824,3a,75y,276.07h,81.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swVIgDwMwr_fLSvoxe22bFQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Nebraska would handle this via signing this as "Greenfield EXIT 3" (miles) or "Sidney EXIT 5" - they'll commonly use the top line on the distance sign for the distance to the next town (if the town is relatively near the exit) or to the exit, marked as such, if the next exit serves a town that's further away from its exit on the interstate. This seems to me like the most appropriate way to handle these, and is far more logical than the Iowa examples above.

Minnesota typically would handle this via signing the route (marker) for the next exit that serves the distant town (i.e., MN 30), as would Wisconsin (older signs use text for this - "Hwy CC 5" (miles)), though Minnesota does use "Rochester Exit xx" on I-90, implying that Rochester is not particularly near the exit, as it is served by US 52/63 (in a triangular fashion), and is more than a couple of miles away from its interchanges on I-90.

Any other examples of this happening? Thoughts on how this should best be handled (when the upcoming exit serves a town, but that town isn't really near the exit?

I think it's confusing/bad practice for a few reasons - drivers see mentions of towns that are a good distance off of the route, and the number of miles to the town is much shorter than the number of miles to the exit (the driver might think that the next exit is further than it is, and/or that they won't have to exit for longer than they would, if they did want to go to the town in question).

amroad17

Most distance signs on Interstate highways or freeways list the distance to the town/city central area or, in the case of New York and on I-64 EB between Richmond and Hampton, the distance to the city line (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and Chesapeake).

I have seen areas where the distance to the town/city is where the interchange is.  An example is here in Northern Kentucky on I-275 WB in Boone County.  At the 12.4 mile marker, there is a mileage sign listing the distances to Lawrenceburg, IN (3) and I-74 (12).  From the mileage sign it is 6 miles to the city area (basically by the high school) and it is 3 miles to the US 50/IN 1 Lawrenceburg/Greendale/Aurora interchange.  Technically, the mileage sign is not incorrect as the Lawrenceburg town limits encompass the interchange with the causeway in the Greendale city limits.

There are some mileage signs in Illinois along I-64 such as this: https://goo.gl/maps/PDJsKcnERB2M2Vji8 .  This lists the distance to the exit instead of the town--which is two miles south of the interchange.

I would rather know the distance to the town/city area--even if it is 10+ miles from the interchange.  Most interchanges will post the control points on the BGS's, no matter how far the town/city is away from the interchange.  A good example is in Napoleon, OH. https://goo.gl/maps/mt2QCZB3jJRVb6Hs8 .  If a mileage sign was posted on US 24/US 6 (which there is not), would a motorist want to see Kendallville (or Chicago) EXIT 3/Defiance 17/Ft Wayne 62 or would they want to know the distance to Kendallville (63) or Chicago (210)?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.