Cities besides Anchorage where freeways don’t connect

Started by roadman65, February 13, 2023, 08:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on February 14, 2023, 10:57:31 AM
M-53 (the Van Dyke Freeway, Romeo Bypass, officially "Christopher Columbus Freeway") is the only freeway in SE Michigan (the whole state for that matter) that doesn't connect to the rest of the freeway system.

There's 2 or 3 separate freeway sections on the Romeo Bypass portion that are separated by mini-expressways with one intersection each.
It would have if that freeway would have been completed but since it wasn't your take on it is correct.

vdeane

Utica, NY - the North-South Arterial has two freeway sections separated by a couple traffic lights, and getting from the Thruway to I-790 requires using local streets (although the reverse movement is direct).

Quote from: davewiecking on February 14, 2023, 12:10:21 PM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on February 13, 2023, 09:14:22 PM
That US 40 "mini-freeway"  in Baltimore, just west of downtown, comes to mind. Not only does it not connect to any other freeways, but it's so short that is doesn't even have any exits between the termini.

Not to mention that I-83 doesn't connect with I-95.
Maybe not in downtown, but neither route is orphaned from the other because they both connect to I-695.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US 89

The greater St. George, Utah area has four freeways/freeway-type roads (I-15, SR 7/Southern Parkway, SR 9, and SR 18) that don't really integrate with each other.

citrus

The Monterey Bay area, where the two coastal freeway sections (Monterey-Castroville and Watsonville-Santa Cruz) don't connect by freeway or even 4-lane road, the inline freeway sections (Salinas area and Gilroy area) don't connect by freeway (though US-101 is close-ish), and there's no freeway or even 4-lane connection from the coast to inland.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: citrus on February 14, 2023, 03:16:44 PM
The Monterey Bay area, where the two coastal freeway sections (Monterey-Castroville and Watsonville-Santa Cruz) don't connect by freeway or even 4-lane road, the inline freeway sections (Salinas area and Gilroy area) don't connect by freeway (though US-101 is close-ish), and there's no freeway or even 4-lane connection from the coast to inland.

Interestingly though Monterey does have a freeway-to-freeway interchange with CA 1 and CA 68.  Even stranger is that there is an isolated freeway segment of CA 68 between Monterey and Salinas which is gapped together by a two lane segment (apparently the busiest in the state).

Dirt Roads

Reposting this one from the Mini-Freeways thread (most of which is exactly opposite of this thread):

Quote from: VetteDriver16 on June 25, 2022, 10:59:05 AM
Jacksonville, Florida with its US-1 "half loop" north, east, and southeast of downtown, US-17 (Roosevelt Blvd) feeding into I-10 on the city's westside, and the busy and always expanding Butler Blvd (FL-202) on the southside.

TheStranger

For the latter, that's eventually slated to change if I'm not mistaken with the Route 156 widening project between Castroville and Prunedale.  (Not sure the timeframe for eventual completion)
Chris Sampang

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheStranger on February 14, 2023, 05:34:22 PM

For the latter, that's eventually slated to change if I'm not mistaken with the Route 156 widening project between Castroville and Prunedale.  (Not sure the timeframe for eventual completion)

Which I believe will be four lane expressway east of CA 183.  Not that it would matter since US 101 in Prunedale is also Expressway with an occasional interchange.  The new expressway east of San Benito County Route G1 is being built currently.

hobsini2

Quote from: Hobart on February 14, 2023, 12:16:11 PM
In Oak Brook, Illinois, IL-83 has a short freeway segment for two interchanges north of 16th Street before returning to being a surface road.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8569529,-87.9577192,3a,35.1y,-0.27h,89.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXL5OISq8k6UBgPzTr99D3A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

IL-251 has an effectively access-controlled section between Ethel Avenue and Cottage Avenue near downtown Rockford, Illinois.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2890645,-89.063474,16.04z

Finally, although this is cheating a little bit, Dubuque's Southwest Arterial is in the same geographic area as the three separate, disconnected freeway portions of US 61/151. However, it intersects only one of these portions, and at a partial cloverleaf, meaning the Southwest Arterial loses access control right before intersecting US 61/151.

The Route 83 interchanges is more for Route 38 (Roosevelt Rd) which is a freeway from 83 to 294.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

mgk920

When is I-27 expected to continue uninterrupted through central Amarillo, TX?

Mike

triplemultiplex

Quote from: mgk920 on February 19, 2023, 08:21:30 PM
When is I-27 expected to continue uninterrupted through central Amarillo, TX?

Long after at least one quadrant of that 335 loop is a freeway connecting I-40 to the existing freeway of US 87/287.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

dvferyance

Quote from: froggie on February 14, 2023, 08:34:49 AM
^ 52 will change starting next year when they rebuild the interchange.  There will be direct ramps between 52 North and 90 East.
Then Rochester should finally get an I-x90 as they deserve they are over 100,000 in population.

zzcarp

In the City of Greater Sudbury, Ontario, Highway 17 has a 20-km full freeway stretch between the west intersection and east interchange with Regional Road 55. This is isolated from the Highway 69/Future Highway 400 freeway via a 12-km super-two expressway along Highway 17 and a 6-km 5-lane arterial along Highway 69 until that freeway begins at Estaire Road.
So many miles and so many roads

dmuzika

Ottawa-Gatineau, Ontario-Quebec. ON-417 passes through Ottawa, while A-5 crosses from Gatineau into Ottawa but becomes a city street. The autoroutes in Gatineau, Quebec don't connect to the 400-series freeways in Ottawa Ontario, despite the two being across the river from each other.

mgk920

Quote from: dvferyance on February 22, 2023, 09:49:23 PM
^ 52 will change starting next year when they rebuild the interchange.  There will be direct ramps between 52 North and 90 East.
Then Rochester should finally get an I-x90 as they deserve they are over 100,000 in population.

Don't the rules of 'interstate design standards' require that all of the ramps at an interstate to interstate  interchange be of such standards, with no stops?

Mike

Evan_Th

Lynchburg, VA.  The new US 29 / US 460 freeway is totally disconnected from the old Lynchburg Expressway.  They almost connect at US 501, but there're still two stoplights in the way.

froggie

Quote from: mgk920 on February 23, 2023, 11:07:51 AM

Don't the rules of 'interstate design standards' require that all of the ramps at an interstate to interstate  interchange be of such standards, with no stops?

Mike

That is a strong preference of FHWA, but AFAIK is not an outright requirement.  For example, where the Western O'Hare will meet the Tri-State will not be a full interchange.  Another recent example would be the northern 95/295 interchange near Fayetteville, NC.

Bruce

Make it I-390 so that both Rochesters can have a 390.

ilpt4u

Quote from: froggie on February 23, 2023, 06:26:14 PM

Mike

That is a strong preference of FHWA, but AFAIK is not an outright requirement.  For example, where the Western O'Hare will meet the Tri-State will not be a full interchange.  Another recent example would be the northern 95/295 interchange near Fayetteville, NC.
The now-"completed"  I-57/I-294 interchange also still has missing movements, but most are provided and is a great improvement over just an I-57 overpass of I-294, which is what it was for decades

JREwing78

Hwy 11 in Monroe, WI is a 4.5 mile freeway bypass with no connections to other freeways or expressways. It continues eastward as expressway another 3 miles or so before reverting to 2-lane. Rumor has it that Hwy 15 (now I-43) was to be extended as a freeway or expressway between Janesville and Beloit westward to Dubuque, and this was to be part of it.

I'm pretty sure this is the only Wisconsin example; everything else connects directly to a freeway or 4-lane expressway somewhere (assuming we're excusing things like the 2 miles of surface street Hwy 26 approaching I-39/90).

ErmineNotyours

Mike

The shield on the photo implies that 52 is an Interstate, but it's really a US highway.

Roadgeekteen

Cherry Hill, Mount Laurel Township, and probably a few other NJ towns have both I-295 and the NJ Turnpike, but the 2 roads do not connect up there.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

dgolub

How about Manhattan?  There are a bunch of highways (I-495, I-78, NJ 495) that enter the borough via tunnels and then promptly end on the other side without connecting to anything other than the local street grid.

GaryV

^ But they connect at the other end of the tunnel, right?

To meet this challenge, the freeway would have to exist only in Manhattan (and the other boroughs, plus Long Island) and not connect with the rest of the system in NJ or the rest of NY state.

skluth

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Lake Shore Drive in Chicago. The southern segment obviously has an interchange with the Stephenson, but the northern segment from Michigan Av to Sheridan Road is limited access and not connected to another freeway.

The Forest Park Parkway in St Louis is functionally a limited access mini-freeway from DeBaliviere to Euclid. It used to also have a tight interchange at Kingshighway, but that was recently converted to a surface intersection which shortened the limited access segment by one block. There are interchanges with freeways at each end of Forest Park Parkway but there are surface intersections between the "mini-freeway" and the interstates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.