News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Mississippi Lefts

Started by US71, April 03, 2012, 10:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

In Hattiesburg, I noticed a new way (new to ME at least) of handling left turns: instead of simply having a left turn lane, it is striped off from the main travel lanes:
http://g.co/maps/ak8v4

The signals are a modified monopole: a single pole in the median with curved mast arms: one with the main signals, one with the left signal, one for the side road.

Is there anyplace else this is done? I noticed in Alabama (near Daphne, I think) there were a couple left turn lanes separated by curbs from the main flow of traffic.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NE2

This is very common when there's a wide median.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

realjd

One reason they offset the left turn like this is to allow greater visibility for a permissive left. Turning cars have a much easier time seeing oncoming traffic if the opposing turn lane isn't in the way.

kphoger

Yes, this is common on high-speed four-lane highways with at-grade lefts (is that enough hyphenated compound words for you?).  I'm thinking specifically of IL-13 between Carbondale and Marion.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Michael

I've seen them occasionally here in NY.  Just west of Auburn, a new strip mall style shopping center was built in 2007, right across from the existing mall.  Later that year (it might have been 2008, I can't remember) NYSDOT extended the right turn lane for westbound traffic into the mall, and separated the left turn lanes into the shopping center with stripes as seen here.  They also separated the left turn lanes for eastbound traffic heading to the mall, as seen here.

bassoon1986

Monroe, LA has them along US 165 between I-20 and US 80 and Alexandria, LA re-did some interchanges near the Coliseum like this on LA 28 west

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on April 03, 2012, 10:38:52 AM
This is very common when there's a wide median.
See US 130 in NJ as one of the original divided highways to use this, still a few locations left.

hbelkins

I, too, have seen this at a number of places.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

We have a similar setup, though with two left-turn lanes, at an intersection near my house. Problem is, the straight-ahead lanes back up and invariably whenever it's backed up you get some assholes who think that striped area is provided so they can drive up the left lane that becomes left-only and then drive down the striped area trying to shove right until some sucker lets them in.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

signalman

I get plenty of manuevers like that here in northern NJ.  I never let douche bags like that in, if I can help it.  I will also lean on the horn at those who do aide in assholish behavior by letting them in.

agentsteel53

Quote from: signalman on April 05, 2012, 03:53:40 PM
I get plenty of manuevers like that here in northern NJ.  I never let douche bags like that in, if I can help it.  I will also lean on the horn at those who do aide in assholish behavior by letting them in.

unfortunately, in California we have way too many people who let in assholes like that.  I did, however, see someone get stuck in a white-striped gore because no one would let him in to the exit lane ... and no one would let him back into mainline traffic!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

signalman

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 05, 2012, 04:08:41 PM
I get plenty of manuevers like that here in northern NJ.  I never let douche bags like that in, if I can help it.  I will also lean on the horn at those who do aide in assholish behavior by letting them in.

unfortunately, in California we have way too many people who let in assholes like that.  I did, however, see someone get stuck in a white-striped gore because no one would let him in to the exit lane ... and no one would let him back into mainline traffic!

Apparently the guy wasn't very aggressive behind the wheel either.  Or was traffic bumper to bumper?

kphoger

Quote from: signalman on April 05, 2012, 04:26:54 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 05, 2012, 04:08:41 PM
I get plenty of manuevers like that here in northern NJ.  I never let douche bags like that in, if I can help it.  I will also lean on the horn at those who do aide in assholish behavior by letting them in.

Apparently the guy wasn't very aggressive behind the wheel either.  Or was traffic bumper to bumper?

Agreed.  What you do is just start inching your way, pebble by pebble, into the lane you want (if traffic is at a crawl), or ride the shoulder (if traffic is fast and there is a shoulder).  If traffic is NOT slow, and there is NO shoulder, then what business did you have stopping in No Man's Land to begin with.  Miss your exit?  Too bad, there'll be another one shortly.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: signalman on April 05, 2012, 04:26:54 PM

bumper to bumper for both mainline and exit.  no shoulders, as this is the notorious Mira Mesa @ 805 construction zone.

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Yeah, in bumper-to-bumper, you just start crawling into your lane.  People would rather let you in then let you scratch their mirror.
Male pronouns, please.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on April 05, 2012, 04:32:55 PM
Yeah, in bumper-to-bumper, you just start crawling into your lane.  People would rather let you in then let you scratch their mirror.

oh, I drive a beater.  scratch away, asshole.

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from one of my college profs, who lived in Colombia for a while:

If I drove in America the way I drive in Colombia, I'd get a ticket within an hour.
If I drove in Colombia the way I drive in America, I'd never make it across the street.

Drivers can be so timid here, I wonder sometimes how they make it out of the driveway in the morning.
Male pronouns, please.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on April 05, 2012, 04:47:22 PM
Quote from one of my college profs, who lived in Colombia for a while:

If I drove in America the way I drive in Colombia, I'd get a ticket within an hour.
If I drove in Colombia the way I drive in America, I'd never make it across the street.

Drivers can be so timid here, I wonder sometimes how they make it out of the driveway in the morning.

indeed.  I note how many cars in Paris have minor dents, dings and scrapes.  occasionally, shit happens.

jake@aaroads.com

tidecat

Jeffersontown, Kentucky has these along Hurstbourne Parkway.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

PurdueBill

OH 18 has several of this style, though not as drastic a separation between the thru and left-turn lanes, from just west of I-77 to just into Medina County. 

golden eagle

There's one on US 49 just north of Jackson.

twinsfan87

I've seen many similar setups in Wisconsin (for example: http://g.co/maps/gxxp9). WisDOT often separates the left-turning vehicles with a surmountable concrete "median", sometimes with rumble strips and/or yellow paint. I did wonder why they did that, but realjd's answer seems to make sense to me.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.