News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

East End Bridge Corrosion - Huntington, WV/Proctorville, OH

Started by seicer, October 15, 2018, 07:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

Drivers worry with weight restrictions over Ohio River bridge

[...]

Inspectors found possible advanced deterioration and other irregularities on the Frank "Gunner" Gatski memorial bridge which connects East Huntington to Proctorville, Ohio.

The restriction only affects semis and other heavier loads.

[...]

This summer, inspectors with the West Virginia Department of Transportation found possible advanced deterioration in some of the cables as well as what they're calling irregularities in the structural elements for the bridge which opened in 1985.

wriddle082

Quote from: seicer on October 15, 2018, 07:40:53 AM
Drivers worry with weight restrictions over Ohio River bridge

[...]

Inspectors found possible advanced deterioration and other irregularities on the Frank "Gunner" Gatski memorial bridge which connects East Huntington to Proctorville, Ohio.

The restriction only affects semis and other heavier loads.

[...]

This summer, inspectors with the West Virginia Department of Transportation found possible advanced deterioration in some of the cables as well as what they're calling irregularities in the structural elements for the bridge which opened in 1985.

I wanna say that they built the tower for this bridge a lot earlier than 1985.  I wanna say that when Jay Rockefeller was WV governor in the early 80's, most of WV's road money was funneled towards modernizing the WV Turnpike and possibly trying to finish I-64 east of Beckley.  The East Huntington bridge was started back when Arch Moore was governor just before Rockefeller, then was stopped, then restarted again when Arch became governor again.

DJStephens

Believe that there was a significant collapse of a truss bridge over the Ohio River in the late sixties that paved the way for modern bridge inspection programs by state DOT's.   

Big John

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.