News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Roads in desperate need of resurfacing

Started by adventurernumber1, October 29, 2014, 07:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adventurernumber1

I have decided to start a thread for posts of roads that are in desperate need of resurfacing. There are countless roads out there in need of a repaving, but there are some that are just so awful they are beyond worthy of being posted on this thread. I will start the thread off with a road in my area:

Most of I-75 in northern Georgia needs to be resurfaced  desperately (excluding a section in Calhoun which was repaved in recent years), but one section in Ringgold is really bad; I call it the "decayed asphalt"
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9090711,-85.1168573,3a,75y,276.49h,80.97t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sEtyvf32bZhqmku9tmwjnbg!2e0

Here is also a pic of I-75 in Dalton, GA which isn't looking so good (hopefully when they're done with the construction on Exit 336, they'll resurface some of I-75):

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

freebrickproductions

Forrest Circle and Valley Drive here in Huntsville, AL are in need of repaving. They are extremely extremely rough.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

cpzilliacus

Much of the asphalt wearing course of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (National Park Service maintenance, "secret" Md. 295) was in terrible condition not more than a month or two ago, but NPS and the Federal Highway Administration, Eastern Federal Lands, has had the pavement milled and re-paved.

Big improvement.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cl94

80+% of county-maintained highway mileage in Erie County, NY. Some of these stretches have needed it since I moved to the area 7 years ago. There are more places than I could possibly count where it is impossible for one to avoid a pothole because they cover the entire lane. Due to lack of funds, it takes state/federal aid or a condition-related accident for them to even think about doing anything.

US 219 between Orchard Park and Springville was pretty bad until this year, when Region 5 finally did a mill and fill. This stretch notably had "rough road" signs for over a year. Still haven't gotten around to fixing quite a few surface roads, NY 952T/Sweet Home Road in particular, which was a victim of a poor asphalt overlay that fell apart the winter after it was applied.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alex4897

Most of DE 279 could desperately use a repaving job, especially near the intersection with DE 4, the right turn lane onto DE 4 is getting incredibly bumpy and hard yo navigate.
👉😎👉

Roadsguy

The stretch of I-83 immediately coming into PA from MD is really bad, but after a mile or so, it gets much better. Not exactly the first thing you'd want people to see coming into PA...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

roadman65

John Young Parkway in Orange County, FL from Whisper Lakes Boulevard to Taft- Vineland Road is terrible.  What is more interesting is nearby Central Florida Parkway has been repaved numerous times over the past two decades and JYP has only been resurfaced here once with a cheap ass job to boot.

The asphalt that was used is very thin and its wearing through down to the original pavement beneath it.  Not to mention it makes your tires sound weird as well.  There would be more if Orange County did not widen JYP in other areas, as the widened parts did get new asphalt as part of the project, but this part has not been touched or altered since 1989 when this part of JYP was first opened.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

1995hoo

Van Dorn Street (secondary route 613) just south of Franconia Road (secondary route 644) near our neighborhood:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cjk374

US 80 in Louisiana:

1)  Minden to Ada/Taylor to the church where a new railroad overpass is being built.

2)  Gibsland to Arcadia

3)  Simsboro to Ruston

4)  4-lane through Ruston on the west side of town

5)  Choudrant to Lincoln/Ouachita parish line

6)  most everything east of Monroe
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

roadman65

What is the purpose of patch resurfacing?

Earlier I mentioned JYP in Orlando, which brings me to the Hunters Creek section where big sections of road would be milled up and replaced with new asphalt.  All along John Young from Whisper Lakes Boulevard  southward to Osceola County would have sections of the roadway in 100 feet increments where one whole lane is replaced with non matching asphalt (not questioning the different grades of it BTW) and it would be in many places in different lanes.

I heard that there is a device that is being used now that scans the integrity of the road, and tells engineers which part of the roadway needs to be redone.   I do not know the nature of how the scan is done or what it accomplishes, but if that is what Orange County did here, I am curious to know what was dyer need to have only certain parts of a roadway resurfaced and not the rest.

BTW if you ride on JYP from Whisper Lakes Boulevard to Osceola County, you can see the difference in color of the new verses old and feel the difference on your wheels as you drive along.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

Quote from: ET21 on November 02, 2014, 12:15:19 PM
Most roads in Chicago

You can add to that most every IDOT road in the state.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

DeaconG

US 1 from north of Port St. John to the Beachline was getting real long in the tooth, but they are in the process of repaving it as we speak.

From north of Port St. John to Titusville could stand a couple of layers.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

txstateends

What about that awful stretch of road somewhere in the midwest (I've already forgotten where), I think on a US highway?  There were either pix or a video posted online either here or somewhere else previously.  I don't remember if the conditions were of neglect, weather-related, or sinking/shifting.

I've wondered since seeing them, whether anything got done about it or not.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

SteveG1988

The loop ramps for I-295 to I-95 in DE heading south are in pretty bad shape.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Perfxion

i haven't been on them in years, but I-95 from GWB to New Haven.
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

adventurernumber1

I've been scoping around Arkansas on GMSV, and I just noticed that AR SR 22 in Fort Smith seems to be in horrid shape: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3716021,-94.3903132,3a,75y,126.72h,89.71t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s4ch6Lb2YhR0DlwyPFPbJjw!2e0

This is probably some of the worst pavement I've seen on any road.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Arkansastravelguy

I-278 in Staten Island. Good god.

iPhone

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

cl94

Quote from: Zeffy on November 05, 2014, 04:46:15 PM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on November 05, 2014, 04:41:09 PM
I-278 in Staten Island. Good god.

I-278 needs way more than a resurfacing.

Wasn't most of that part rebuilt pretty recently. The SIE is far from the worst stretch of I-278, dare I say one of the best?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Arkansastravelguy

I was there in September and it's god awful. The outer crossing is awesome, but once you get on 278 prepare for your dental fillings to fall out

iPhone

cl94

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on November 05, 2014, 06:08:17 PM
I was there in September and it's god awful. The outer crossing is awesome, but once you get on 278 prepare for your dental fillings to fall out
iPhone

Interesting. I thought they had gotten to all of it. I know the eastern part was rebuilt 2 years ago.

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: cl94 on November 05, 2014, 06:27:38 PM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on November 05, 2014, 06:08:17 PM
iPhone

Interesting. I thought they had gotten to all of it. I know the eastern part was rebuilt 2 years ago.

The part between 440 and Verrazano—Narrows Bridge. Where all the construction is.

iPhone

SteveG1988

I-55 in AR, just the entire length once you get past the MO state line heading south, north is fine.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

bugo

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.