Plano, TX: City-Posted FM 544 Signs Removed (Rte. Decom. 1988)

Started by Brian556, December 26, 2014, 11:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Looking at GSV, it shows that many, if not all of the city-posted FM 544 signs on the decommissioned FM 544 through Plano have been removed.

For those of you who are unaware, TxDOT gave the section of FM 544 within the city limits of Plano to the City Of Plano in 1988, and the city posted it's own route marker signs along the route.

Have any of y'all driven the route recently? If you have, are all of the route markers gone? What about street name blades that mention FM 544?

I haven't driven this route since 2011.

dfwmapper

I drive on ex-FM 544 regularly in downtown Plano and further east. No signs that I can think of. There are blades that say 14th (FM 544) St at M, N, and O, and on about half of the minor streets east of Jupiter. Very inconsistent, including a couple cases where one side of the street has FM 544 and the other side doesn't. Nothing at any of the stoplights.

austrini

There was an FM 544 shield at Coit until recently. SH 5 is still on all the local signs too, annoyingly.
FM 544 has an end sign in Wylie. http://imgur.com/csikzKl

I work for Collin County and pester the city about the SH 5 and 544 signs whenever I talk to them.
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

Takumi

Reminds me of Virginia Beach, who kept replacing signage for the long-decommissioned VA 305 (gone in 1960) until 2013 or so and had some secondary routes, which all went away in 1963, posted well into the 2000s. There are still a few SR 615 shields around.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dfwmapper

SH 5 was decommissioned in Plano at the same time as FM 544 and FM 2514. It's since been truncated further back through most of Allen as well. There's at least a continuity argument for FM 544 to be signed since it exists on both sides of Plano, but SH 5 doesn't come anywhere close.

NE2

Sounds like there's a continuity argument for SH 5 as well. Who cares who maintains it?

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dfwmapper

There isn't a continuity argument for SH 5 as there is no continuation. FM 544 reaches the east and west city limits of Plano and is signed in both adjacent cities, so maybe there's one there, albeit a poor one because it's not even the best route between those two points. SH 5, on the other hand stops 3.5 miles short of the north city limits, and doesn't continue on the other side. And, it's quite likely that SH 5 will be truncated back further as several miles north of the current endpoint are in serious need of widening to serve growing populations. Probably work some deal where the cities and the state split the cost of widening in exchange for the cities taking over the road upon completion.

NE2

dfwmapper

Shouldn't be a highway in the first place. The entire length is just leftovers from when US 75 was moved to its current alignment in the 50s and 60s. Any other state would have just dumped it on the county and been done with it.

NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.