News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

TXDOT to convert some paved roads to gravel

Started by Brian556, July 27, 2013, 12:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Article says that some state highways already damaged by overweight oil/gas drilling trucks will be converted to gravel.

It would be interesting to see a gravel state highway.

Odd how they enforce the weight limits on everybody else, but they look the other way when the oil/gas industry destroys roads.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/07/25/5029654/texas-adopts-a-new-strategy-for.html

Quotehttp://www.star-telegram.com/2013/07/25/5030554/state-to-convert-some-roads-from.html

Molandfreak

The tearing to gravel I can understand. What I don't understand is why are they being reduced a 30 mph speed limit?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

wxfree

Quote from: Molandfreak on July 27, 2013, 12:52:47 AM
The tearing to gravel I can understand. What I don't understand is why are they being reduced a 30 mph speed limit?

I remember in the late 90s when a US highway was unpaved for a short time during a repaving.  I didn't see any signs changing the 70 mph speed limit so I went at normal speeds.  At the time I had a 1979 Buick which was very tough.  The road was reasonably smooth and I had no troubles.  I wouldn't want to go around a curve at that speed, but on that stretch I had no difficulty at all.  These roads with heavy truck traffic may not be in great condition so maybe 70 will be too fast, but I don't see any reason to choose an arbitrary maximum speed limit based on an assumption that higher speed are unsuitable for gravel roads.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Molandfreak

Quote from: wxfree on July 27, 2013, 01:05:29 AM

I remember in the late 90s when a US highway was unpaved for a short time during a repaving.  I didn't see any signs changing the 70 mph speed limit so I went at normal speeds.  At the time I had a 1979 Buick which was very tough.  The road was reasonably smooth and I had no troubles.  I wouldn't want to go around a curve at that speed, but on that stretch I had no difficulty at all.  These roads with heavy truck traffic may not be in great condition so maybe 70 will be too fast, but I don't see any reason to choose an arbitrary maximum speed limit based on an assumption that higher speed are unsuitable for gravel roads.
It all depends on how rough the gravel will be, but I think a 55 or 60 mph limit would suffice on the new gravel roads. After all, this is rural Texas. Or better yet, "reasonable and prudent."
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Alps

Quote from: Molandfreak on July 27, 2013, 01:20:10 AM

It all depends on how rough the gravel will be, but I think a 55 or 60 mph limit would suffice on the new gravel roads. After all, this is rural Texas. Or better yet, "reasonable and prudent."
Yeah, county roads in Iowa and Kansas are 55 mph with gravel. Hell, I went {some number slightly less than 100} in NW Territories - not even all straight.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Steve on July 27, 2013, 02:06:56 AM

Yeah, county roads in Iowa and Kansas are 55 mph with gravel. Hell, I went {some number slightly less than 100} in NW Territories - not even all straight.
This gets me thinking, why do we need to set speed limits at all on gravel roads, when their nature generally requires us to go slower than we would on asphalt? (off topic I know).

bugo

Near Minot, North Dakota.  I was in a Jeep, and I couldn't maintain the speed limit on this stretch of road.

Alps

Quote from: Molandfreak on July 27, 2013, 02:20:32 AM

This gets me thinking, why do we need to set speed limits at all on gravel roads, when their nature generally requires us to go slower than we would on asphalt? (off topic I know).
Because of {some number slightly less than 100}.

Molandfreak

wxfree

Tax cuts? Check!
Smaller government?  Check!
Are the people better off?  I'll have to get back to you on that.

wxfree

This month's speed zone minute order includes quite a few speed zones for unpaved surfaces, including 3 miles of the I-37 frontage road.  They're classified as construction speed zones.  These appear coincide with the plans for gravel roads.  The speed limits being put in place are as low as 30 and as high as 60, but are mostly 40 or 45.  It's good to see they aren't a uniform 30, but appear to have been set with discretion.  40 or 45 is probably good on gravel roads.

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/adm/2013/documents/minute_orders/0829/17g.pdf

I'll probably add to my high speed limits map project by making a separate map of the low speed limits on unpaved roads.

agentsteel53

I've hit 102 on a dirt road in [mumble jurisdiction].  it was straight, as it was in an area renowned for its flatness.

I don't think I've taken a curve faster than about 75.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brian556

wxfree

Here's the damage.  Most of the zones are much too short to show on a statewide map, so I zoomed in and cropped.

Red is 40 mph.  Red with yellow anchors is 45.  Blue is 60.  There's a very short 30 just north of the 45 just south of Big Wells.

http://www.patternsandprinciples.com/otherfiles/gravel/813/castro.jpg
http://www.patternsandprinciples.com/otherfiles/gravel/813/i37.jpg  (frontage roads only)
http://www.patternsandprinciples.com/otherfiles/gravel/813/laredo.jpg
http://www.patternsandprinciples.com/otherfiles/gravel/813/reeverson.jpg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.