News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Elgin-O'Hare Tollway

Started by Brandon, January 24, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: johndoe780 on July 06, 2015, 02:55:31 PM
Quote from: premier707 on July 06, 2015, 01:23:40 AM
Quote from: I-39 on May 25, 2015, 09:48:11 PM
So getting back to the Elgin-O'Hare Tollway, do you think the western loop around Ontarioville to North Avenue is necessary, and do you think it will ever be built?

It will be built eventually; perhaps our grandkids can drive it when they visit us at 'the home'.

I'd like to remind everyone that the full 'EOWA' as advertized is not a done deal yet.  The current approved construction plan only extends IL390 to IL83/Busse Rd/Kingery Hwy.  This portion is programmed to be completed in 2017, and will be completed, likely ahead of schedule.  The diverging diamond along I90 at Elmhurst Rd will be completed in 2016.  The next segment/portion scheduled after that is the roadway from IL83 to IL19, with an auxiliary lane eastbound along IL19 to a new four-lane Taft Ave connector bridge south across the Bensenville yard.  After that, ramps to/from I294 will be constructed leading to the Taft connector and the County Line/Green St area.  The final pieces planned (mid 20s) are the mainline on the West Bypass/I490 north from the Taft extension to IL19, and from the IL390/I490 junction north to I90.

ISTHA will be watching traffic counts VERY closely in the region over the next few years.  The construction staging is designed to allow planners to eliminate segments that may prove unnecessary.  Since traffic counts have proved the need for the segment from IL83 to IL19, that segment will most likely be built; utility relocation has already begun.  After that, however, who knows.  Without a western terminal, the extension to IL19 and Taft Ave connection to I294 (via a few stoplights) and to I90 via a (likely) improved York Rd may be sufficient in the mid-term.  The full extension is still a few hundred million dollars short, and the ISTHA may cut back construction and use those extra funds for a central Tri-State widening, although the 300ft corridor along the western edge of O'Hare will remain reserved.   I have a sneaking suspicion the West Bypass won't be built in full until there is a Western terminal, which will not happen before the 30s.

The difference between the 2 mile extension westwards of EOE and say, the 10 mile 53 extension north is pretty simple. The mayors of Hanover Park and Bartlett actually want the extension. On the other hand, you have Long grove whining for decades how it'll ruin their "quality of life."

I expect EOE to eventually move westwards sooner rather than later now that it's part of ITHSA, which is slightly more competent than their countpart, IDOT.

The 494 part of EOE looks to be more planning and land acquisition, hence the 2025 completion date. Bottom line, in 10 years, I expect EOE to be a surprisingly successful highway, despite the toll,  taking a good chunk of traffic off the adjacent highways and county roads. As far as the $300 million shortfall, that's up in the air.

But in regards to the western entrance, maybe. Ohare just landed the most competent or one of the most competent airport chiefs. I wouldn't be surprised if she fires all these patronage hags and starts a fresh course.

The part from IL to I-294 is planed for 2015-2022 with north ave part at for 2020-2022 same dates are the central Tri-State widening

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: I-39 on July 06, 2015, 06:57:53 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on July 06, 2015, 06:26:42 PM
Quote from: I-39 on July 06, 2015, 11:56:18 AM
Do you have a source for this? Because why would they be advertising something that won't get built? Plus, if there is not a connection east of IL-83 or a western bypass, who would use the roadway east of I-290? That wouldn't make sense.

I believe premier707 means advertized in the 'presented to the public' sense, not as in seeking bids from contractors - though the southern half of the Western Bypass has a few building demolition contracts going out to bid this summer.

I could certainly see ISTHA reevaluating and reopening study of the Western Bypass if the Central Tri-State rebuild gains more momentum.  I could also see ISTHA trying to drop the northern connection to I-90 in favor of reviving a connection to the Tri-State at the IL 19 interchange (similar to the earlier dreams of the EOE extension).

As for improvements to York Road, the only improvements planned I have heard of beyond the DDI with I-90 was the jughandle at IL 72/Touhy Avenue.

As to who would use IL 390 if it only makes it to IL 83:  Given the semi-expressway nature of IL 83, I could see IL 390 and IL 83 becoming a bypass for the congestion at the I-290/I-355 interchange

Well, just today they posted saying they are seeking firms to help with construction on the I-490 bypass, so it looks like it will go forward. I doubt they would back off of something like this since they raised tolls drastically to pay for this program.

http://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/10157/999be150-feff-4a24-b0e3-825ed76fdbea

The Central Tri-State Rebuild will happen, it's just a matter of how it will be done. Their options are:

1. Rebuild the four lanes and shoulders in-kind

2. Rebuild the four lanes and widen the inside shoulder

3. Rebuild and widen to five lanes in each direction

4. Rebuild and widen to five lanes in each direction and widen the inside shoulder

If you ask me, I think it should be a combination of both 2 and 3, only add a fifth lane in some areas (perhaps from I-90/Balmoral to I-88/I-290), the rest keep four lanes, but widen the shoulder along the entire length.

some areas can use aux lanes / interchange rebuilds.

hobsini2

Quote from: I-39 on July 06, 2015, 11:56:18 AM
Quote from: premier707 on July 06, 2015, 01:23:40 AM
Quote from: I-39 on May 25, 2015, 09:48:11 PM
So getting back to the Elgin-O'Hare Tollway, do you think the western loop around Ontarioville to North Avenue is necessary, and do you think it will ever be built?

It will be built eventually; perhaps our grandkids can drive it when they visit us at 'the home'.

I'd like to remind everyone that the full 'EOWA' as advertized is not a done deal yet.  The current approved construction plan only extends IL390 to IL83/Busse Rd/Kingery Hwy.  This portion is programmed to be completed in 2017, and will be completed, likely ahead of schedule.  The diverging diamond along I90 at Elmhurst Rd will be completed in 2016.  The next segment/portion scheduled after that is the roadway from IL83 to IL19, with an auxiliary lane eastbound along IL19 to a new four-lane Taft Ave connector bridge south across the Bensenville yard.  After that, ramps to/from I294 will be constructed leading to the Taft connector and the County Line/Green St area.  The final pieces planned (mid 20s) are the mainline on the West Bypass/I490 north from the Taft extension to IL19, and from the IL390/I490 junction north to I90.

ISTHA will be watching traffic counts VERY closely in the region over the next few years.  The construction staging is designed to allow planners to eliminate segments that may prove unnecessary.  Since traffic counts have proved the need for the segment from IL83 to IL19, that segment will most likely be built; utility relocation has already begun.  After that, however, who knows.  Without a western terminal, the extension to IL19 and Taft Ave connection to I294 (via a few stoplights) and to I90 via a (likely) improved York Rd may be sufficient in the mid-term.  The full extension is still a few hundred million dollars short, and the ISTHA may cut back construction and use those extra funds for a central Tri-State widening, although the 300ft corridor along the western edge of O'Hare will remain reserved.   I have a sneaking suspicion the West Bypass won't be built in full until there is a Western terminal, which will not happen before the 30s.

Do you have a source for this? Because why would they be advertising something that won't get built? Plus, if there is not a connection east of IL-83 or a western bypass, who would use the roadway east of I-290? That wouldn't make sense.

I personally think Move Illinois should have focused on building the IL-53 extension (which is more necessary right now) rather than the Elgin-O'Hare. Also, focus on reconstructing the I-90/I-290/IL-53 system interchange (which they are going to have to do soon).
As someone who drives professionally, if I can use Thorndale and EOE vs Irving Park, I do. Fewer lights and Irving narrows to 2 lanes in Itasca. Also, east of IL 83 along Thorndale, there are a number of industrial parks. It would be used and used often.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

tribar

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before but will Thorndale Ave remain after the tollway is built or will it be demolished?

hobsini2

Quote from: tribar on July 08, 2015, 06:47:22 PM
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before but will Thorndale Ave remain after the tollway is built or will it be demolished?
It will likely get reduced to a Frontage Rd type of highway since the EOE is running along it almost exactly. I would have to look at the plans again.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Revive 755

^ IIRC, it varies by segment, with some sections remaining as a two-way outer road (but with a reduced number of lanes), parts reduced to a one-way frontage road (near IL 83 at least), and the westernmost part will be removed completely.

premier707

Move Illinois runs through 2026.  There is $2.13 billion earmarked for a central Tri-State rebuild of pavement from Balmoral to 95th, as well as a rebuilt Edens Spur; these would simply reconstruct aged pavement on the same footprint, with no expansion beyond the section that interchanges with the future Western Bypass/I490 and/or the Taft Ave connector, and improved access at North Ave/IL64.  More funds (and land) would be needed to expand to a 10-lane cross-section along the entire corridor.  The Tri-State generates 40% of ISTHA's revenue.  Personally, I think the tollway's funds would be better spent ditching the Edens Spur rebuild and the Western Bypass in favor of York/Elmhurst Rd and Irving Park/Taft connector to I294; then, use those funds, and that original $2.13 billion, to rebuild and widen the central Tri-State, and reconstruct the I90/I290/IL53 interchange in Schaumburg. The present corridor for the Western Bypass isn't going anywhere, and the Taft Ave connector is sufficient for local truck traffic from I294.  As the only fiscally-healthy road-building entity in Chicagoland, ISTHA may need to focus more on the existing (and recently expanded via the Elgin-O'Hare and southern Veterans extension) system while the state and IDOT get their house in order.  A new IL390, terminating at York Rd and IL19, would serve fine in the short and medium-term until a western entrance or blue line stop to O'Hare actually exists.

NE2

Does the I-490 segment have its own name? I'm not sure if this was a proper edit.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

johndoe780

Quote from: premier707 on July 14, 2015, 02:13:08 AM
Move Illinois runs through 2026.  There is $2.13 billion earmarked for a central Tri-State rebuild of pavement from Balmoral to 95th, as well as a rebuilt Edens Spur; these would simply reconstruct aged pavement on the same footprint, with no expansion beyond the section that interchanges with the future Western Bypass/I490 and/or the Taft Ave connector, and improved access at North Ave/IL64.  More funds (and land) would be needed to expand to a 10-lane cross-section along the entire corridor.  The Tri-State generates 40% of ISTHA's revenue.  Personally, I think the tollway's funds would be better spent ditching the Edens Spur rebuild and the Western Bypass in favor of York/Elmhurst Rd and Irving Park/Taft connector to I294; then, use those funds, and that original $2.13 billion, to rebuild and widen the central Tri-State, and reconstruct the I90/I290/IL53 interchange in Schaumburg. The present corridor for the Western Bypass isn't going anywhere, and the Taft Ave connector is sufficient for local truck traffic from I294.  As the only fiscally-healthy road-building entity in Chicagoland, ISTHA may need to focus more on the existing (and recently expanded via the Elgin-O'Hare and southern Veterans extension) system while the state and IDOT get their house in order.  A new IL390, terminating at York Rd and IL19, would serve fine in the short and medium-term until a western entrance or blue line stop to O'Hare actually exists.

I always thought the 10 lane widening of 294 was a bit shortsighted. Shouldn't they make it 10 lanes from 95th street to I-90, not Balmoral ave?

Stratuscaster

If I recall - and I cannot locate the links - planning/signing docs were using IL-EOE for the Elgin-O'hare and IL-WOB for the I-490 "Western O'Hare Bypass" route.

ET21

Quote from: NE2 on July 14, 2015, 02:36:13 AM
Does the I-490 segment have its own name? I'm not sure if this was a proper edit.

I'm sure it'll be named after a corrupt Illinois politician. Wouldn't be surprised if it was named after Obama
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

tribar

Quote from: ET21 on July 14, 2015, 04:25:12 PM

I'm sure it'll be named after a corrupt Illinois politician. Wouldn't be surprised if it was named after Obama

I'm thinking the Rod Blagojevich Tollway. 

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: tribar on July 14, 2015, 04:36:32 PM

If lucas01aswell gets his way it will be named the San Fransokyo tollway.  :-P  :colorful: :wow:
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: johndoe780 on July 14, 2015, 07:54:52 AM
Quote from: premier707 on July 14, 2015, 02:13:08 AM

I always thought the 10 lane widening of 294 was a bit shortsighted. Shouldn't they make it 10 lanes from 95th street to I-90, not Balmoral ave?

Balmoral is right at the split

Revive 755

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on July 14, 2015, 07:04:29 PM

I-294 goes to/from a brief 10 lane section at IL 19.  Unless ISTHA is planning to go to 12 lanes between IL 19 and the I-190 interchange, I would have thought they would stated IL 19 as the northern terminus.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 14, 2015, 08:45:13 PM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on July 14, 2015, 07:04:29 PM

I-294 goes to/from a brief 10 lane section at IL 19.  Unless ISTHA is planning to go to 12 lanes between IL 19 and the I-190 interchange, I would have thought they would stated IL 19 as the northern terminus.

Maybe some interchange work in that area as well

dave069

NO......anyone but Rod...........

Rothman

Quote from: dave069 on July 14, 2015, 11:43:44 PM

NO......anyone but Rod...........

Butbutbut...he's got this thing...and it's f****** golden!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Quimby

The only people who have tollways named after them in Illinois are Jane Addams and Ronald Reagan.  Even the non-toll Chicago expressways are named after people like Eisenhower, Kennedy, and Stevenson.  Hardly a long list of corrupt Illinois politicians. 

Brandon

Quote from: Quimby on July 15, 2015, 05:11:28 PM

The only people who have tollways named after them in Illinois are Jane Addams and Ronald Reagan.  Even the non-toll Chicago expressways are named after people like Eisenhower, Kennedy, and Stevenson.  Hardly a long list of corrupt Illinois politicians. 

Of course, there are the locals (other than Stevenson) such as Ryan and Edens, both of whom were politicians in Cook County.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Quimby

Quote from: Brandon on July 15, 2015, 05:17:47 PM

Of course, there are the locals (other than Stevenson) such as Ryan and Edens, both of whom were politicians in Cook County.

I believe both of those individuals were champions of highway/expressway construction.

ET21

It was meant to be a jab joke towards the state, obviously some of our freeways are named after decent people. But knowing Illinois.......

Clinched:

SSOWorld

Quote from: ET21 on July 16, 2015, 10:56:36 AM

It was meant to be a jab joke towards the state, obviously some of our freeways are named after decent people. But knowing Illinois.......
Name a decent politician - go ahead, I dare you. I double dare you.

You can't? 
I didn't think you could :sombrero: :awesomeface:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ET21

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 16, 2015, 11:27:09 AM

You can't? 

George Washington!  :D

Clinched:

Brandon

Quote from: ET21 on July 16, 2015, 03:20:37 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on July 16, 2015, 11:27:09 AM

You can't? 

George Washington!  :D

Sadly, he's been dead for over 200 years.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.