News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2022 FIFA World Cup

Started by NWI_Irish96, March 29, 2022, 06:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

Normally the World Cup would be running now. But since this year it's played in Hell, they are waiting for that to cool down a bit.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Bruce

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 13, 2022, 03:49:08 PM
Normally the World Cup would be running now. But since this year it's played in Hell, they are waiting for that to cool down a bit.

To be fair, even if the US had won the right to host in 2022, the temperatures wouldn't be much better in many cities. (Doha is currently in the 90s, but will be in the 110s soon)

https://twitter.com/pkedit/status/1536424648841175041

US 89

Climatology is the name of the game here though, since it's obviously impossible to forecast years in advance. Most of the US is currently in the grips of an unusually strong heat wave. Average highs in July in all of those cities:

Dallas 96.9
Houston 92.9
Kansas City 90.2
Monterrey 94.6
Denver 89.9
Nashville 90.9
--
Doha 107.4F

Also, despite its desert location, the humidity in Qatar is extremely high. Apparently the dew point there is 82 as I type this - even in the most humid parts of the US, dew points rarely ever get much over 80. Being right next to a warm shallow tropical sea will do that.

Bruce

Australia is in. Peru is out.

Ended in a PK shootout right after Australia changed their goalkeeper. That gamble paid off.

https://twitter.com/FIFAWorldCup/status/1536452327179173890

1995hoo

Perhaps also worth noting that of the cities in the running to host games in 2026, the following all have either indoor or retractable-roof venues: Vancouver, Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta.

But it's interesting, I recall one of the complaints some of the Europeans, as well as some of the American stooge fans who blindly follow whatever the Europeans say and do, had about the World Cup being held in the USA was the heat and humidity you get in June and July here.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thspfc

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 13, 2022, 05:27:27 PM
But it's interesting, I recall one of the complaints some of the Europeans, as well as some of the American stooge fans who blindly follow whatever the Europeans say and do, had about the World Cup being held in the USA was the heat and humidity you get in June and July here.
Europeans gotta find something wrong with the US-hosted tournament. Nobody was complaining about heat when it was in Brazil.

Alps

Quote from: JayhawkCO on June 13, 2022, 12:09:41 PM
The last two World Cup spots will be clinched in the next few days:

Australia will play Peru and Costa Rica will play New Zealand.

I'll take both the Spanish speaking countries.
I was neutral on Australia/Peru. I'd root NZ over CR.

thspfc

Quote from: Bruce on June 13, 2022, 04:12:11 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 13, 2022, 03:49:08 PM

To be fair, even if the US had won the right to host in 2022, the temperatures wouldn't be much better in many cities. (Doha is currently in the 90s, but will be in the 110s soon)

https://twitter.com/pkedit/status/1536424648841175041
It's like the hottest day of the year in the US 💀 is this guy serious?

KCRoadFan

Having the World Cup as a backdrop to the holiday season - not to mention, going right up against the NFL on Thanksgiving - will be interesting, to say the least.

thspfc

Quote from: KCRoadFan on June 13, 2022, 11:26:52 PM
Having the World Cup as a backdrop to the holiday season - not to mention, going right up against the NFL on Thanksgiving - will be interesting, to say the least.
The NFL is still going to win big against the WC in the US.

CNGL-Leudimin

I'm rooting for New Zealand, so we can see both sides of the World in the same group :sombrero: (they would land together with Spain, which is at their Antipodes).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: thspfc on June 14, 2022, 07:58:55 AM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on June 13, 2022, 11:26:52 PM
The NFL is still going to win big against the WC in the US.

Of course the NFL will beat the World Cup! No shat, Sherlock! They get 15 to 20 million TV viewers approximately every season! How many do you think the World Cup will have? 4 to 5 million maybe?! Feel free to educate me on the actual numbers, if you so choose. The NFL ALWAYS beats everybody because it's the only sport in the fall fans gravitate to the most. If you combine the viewership of collegiate football, say SEC or ACC for example, they'd still beat the World Cup ratings by a looooong mile!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Bruce

The 2018 World Cup averaged just over 5 million viewers on Fox and Telemundo, despite not having the USMNT. The final was watched by 17.8 million in the United States.

I couldn't find the averages for other editions, but here's some of the finals numbers from past years:

YearViewersNetworks
201817.8 millionFox/Telemundo
201426.7 millionABC/Univision
201024.7 millionABC/Univision
200618.8 millionABC/Univision
20026.1 millionABC
19988.6 millionABC
199414.5 millionABC

(2002 and 2018 both began before noon Eastern, which is a factor in their lower numbers)

thspfc

With the field set, here are my picks:

Group A
1. Netherlands
2. Senegal
3. Ecuador
4. Qatar

Group B
1. England
2. USA
3. Wales
4. Iran

Group C
1. Argentina
2. Poland
3. Mexico
4. Saudi Arabia

Group D
1. France
2. Denmark
3. Australia
4. Tunisia

Group E
1. Spain
2. Germany
3. Costa Rica
4. Japan

Group F
1. Belgium
2. Morocco
3. Canada
4. Croatia

Group G
1. Brazil
2. Switzerland
3. Serbia
4. Cameroon

Group H
1. Portugal
2. Uruguay
3. Ghana
4. South Korea

Round of 16
2B. USA over 1A. Netherlands
1C. Argentina over 2D. Denmark
1E. Spain over 2F. Morocco
1G. Brazil over 2H. Uruguay
1B. England over 2A. Senegal
1D. France over 1C. Poland
2E. Germany over 1F. Belgium
2G. Switzerland over 1H. Portugal

Quarters
Argentina over USA
Spain over Brazil
France over England
Germany over Switzerland

Semis
Argentina over Spain
France over Germany

Final
Argentina over France

JayhawkCO

The only major critique I have of yours is that Morocco, to me, is pretty clearly the worst team in that group.

thspfc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on June 17, 2022, 08:59:18 AM
The only major critique I have of yours is that Morocco, to me, is pretty clearly the worst team in that group.
My reasoning for having Croatia so low is that with the WC being in the middle of the club season, their aging core of their squad might not bring the same energy level. And my reasoning for Morocco above Canada is that Canada is going to be everyone else's sleeper team so I guess I'll just go with Morocco as mine. Also Morocco hung tough in every game at the last WC. They lost to Iran on a 95th minute OG, had chances to equalize against Portugal, and were a couple minutes away from beating Spain.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on June 17, 2022, 10:57:57 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on June 17, 2022, 08:59:18 AM
My reasoning for having Croatia so low is that with the WC being in the middle of the club season, their aging core of their squad might not bring the same energy level. And my reasoning for Morocco above Canada is that Canada is going to be everyone else's sleeper team so I guess I'll just go with Morocco as mine. Also Morocco hung tough in every game at the last WC. They lost to Iran on a 95th minute OG, had chances to equalize against Portugal, and were a couple minutes away from beating Spain.

Fair enough. They just looked like shit against us in the friendly not too long ago, and they had their main guys playing. I know friendlies are friendlies, but it took them out of my sleeper picks.

NWI_Irish96

In case anybody is curious, here are the specific World Cup/NFL overlaps. All times Eastern

Thursday 11/24 (Thanksgiving): 2pm: Brazil vs Croatia 2pm ET; 12:30 pm: BUF at DET

Sunday 11/27: 2pm: Spain vs Germany; 1pm: TB at CLE, CIN at TEN, HOU at MIA, CHI at NYJ, ATL at WAS, DEN at CAR, BAL at JAX

Sunday 12/4: 2pm: R16 B1 (potentially USA) vs A2; 1pm: PIT at ATL, GB at CHI, JAX at DET, NYJ at MIN, WAS at NYG, TEN at PHI, DEN at BAL, CLE at HOU

No World Cup games on 12/11 as they're in between the quarterfinals and semifinals. The final on 12/18 starts at 10am so it will be over by the time the NFL kicks off.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

skluth

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on June 19, 2022, 12:51:35 PM
In case anybody is curious, here are the specific World Cup/NFL overlaps. All times Eastern

Thursday 11/24 (Thanksgiving): 2pm: Brazil vs Croatia 2pm ET; 12:30 pm: BUF at DET

Sunday 11/27: 2pm: Spain vs Germany; 1pm: TB at CLE, CIN at TEN, HOU at MIA, CHI at NYJ, ATL at WAS, DEN at CAR, BAL at JAX

Sunday 12/4: 2pm: R16 B1 (potentially USA) vs A2; 1pm: PIT at ATL, GB at CHI, JAX at DET, NYJ at MIN, WAS at NYG, TEN at PHI, DEN at BAL, CLE at HOU

No World Cup games on 12/11 as they're in between the quarterfinals and semifinals. The final on 12/18 starts at 10am so it will be over by the time the NFL kicks off.

While Detroit typically plays one of their best games of the year for the home folks on Thanksgiving, I can see people switching to the WC in the second half if Buffalo is blowing them out. Or even if they're not because those aren't huge fan bases (though both fan groups are very loyal) and Brazil is usually fun to watch. Spain vs Germany may be more interesting than any of concurrent games other than CIN at TEN. (I'm not expecting Watson to play for Cleveland this year.) I'm a Packer fan so there's no way am I watching the WC on 12/4 even if the USMNT plays though I'll probably have to go to a bar to see Packers/Bears vs at home for the USMNT.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: skluth on June 19, 2022, 01:37:16 PM

While Detroit typically plays one of their best games of the year for the home folks on Thanksgiving, I can see people switching to the WC in the second half if Buffalo is blowing them out. Or even if they're not because those aren't huge fan bases (though both fan groups are very loyal) and Brazil is usually fun to watch. Spain vs Germany may be more interesting than any of concurrent games other than CIN at TEN. (I'm not expecting Watson to play for Cleveland this year.) I'm a Packer fan so there's no way am I watching the WC on 12/4 even if the USMNT plays though I'll probably have to go to a bar to see Packers/Bears vs at home for the USMNT.

FOX's Thanksgiving game isn't until later so they can have the Brazil/Croatia game on their broadcast network.

There's zero chance that NFL games don't occupy FOX broadcast on 11/27 or 12/4, so the Spain/Germany game and the R16 game will have to go elsewhere. FS1 is the obvious choice but that channel only reaches 83 million households. The better in-house option is FX, but that still only nets you an additional 6 million households. For the Spain/Germany game that may work, but if the US wins their group, it would be a bad look to have the host nation's knockout round game available to < 100 million households.

I don't know if such a thing is possible, but it would be nice if FOX could/would make a deal with ABC or NBC to let them carry that one game. Keep the FOX announcers, production, etc, but have it on a broadcast network.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on June 19, 2022, 02:06:29 PM

FOX's Thanksgiving game isn't until later so they can have the Brazil/Croatia game on their broadcast network.

There's zero chance that NFL games don't occupy FOX broadcast on 11/27 or 12/4, so the Spain/Germany game and the R16 game will have to go elsewhere. FS1 is the obvious choice but that channel only reaches 83 million households. The better in-house option is FX, but that still only nets you an additional 6 million households. For the Spain/Germany game that may work, but if the US wins their group, it would be a bad look to have the host nation's knockout round game available to < 100 million households.

I don't know if such a thing is possible, but it would be nice if FOX could/would make a deal with ABC or NBC to let them carry that one game. Keep the FOX announcers, production, etc, but have it on a broadcast network.

They would need to work around the Macy's Day Parade on NBC, whatever ABC broadcasts (basketball?). Etc.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 19, 2022, 03:14:16 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on June 19, 2022, 02:06:29 PM

They would need to work around the Macy's Day Parade on NBC, whatever ABC broadcasts (basketball?). Etc.

Parade is long over by 2pm, and I don't believe the NBA or NHL play early games on Thanksgiving.

NWI_Irish96

We're now just 45 days away from the opening of the 2022 World Cup. All national teams have played their final friendlies/nations league games before the tournament begins. Brazil will enter the tournament as the world's top ranked team, with Belgium, Argentina, France, England, Italy (not qualified), Spain and the Netherlands rounding out the top 8.

The US looked really bad in their last two tuneups, falling 2-0 to Japan and failing to score in a 0-0 draw against Saudi Arabia. USA captain and best player Christian Pulisic is not playing much for his club (Chelsea) and that is causing concerns about his form heading into the tournament.

ET21

I don't expect much from the US
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Billy F 1988

Quote from: ET21 on October 07, 2022, 12:19:19 PM
I don't expect much from the US

They need a massive leadership overhaul from the get-go. It may not fix everything right away, but it's a start. My major questions are the following, in no fabric of order: Why should people invest in US soccer if they're going to continually flop in major tournaments like the World Cup or CONCACAF? Let alone MLS? Why should the major TV outlets pump millions of dollars into a failing brand that is seemingly getting worse over time? Do you really want to take the plunge into US soccer or would you rather your remote and wallet say no thanks and switch to other sports? I would love it if they can fix a lot of what's holding them back. But, I guess that proves very lofty, and unattainable, doesn't it?
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.