News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: theroadwayone on March 28, 2018, 01:29:44 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 28, 2018, 12:08:56 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 28, 2018, 12:07:43 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 28, 2018, 11:25:00 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 28, 2018, 09:31:05 AM
Quote from: theroadwayone on March 27, 2018, 09:11:09 PM
What day do you think will be the one when I-95 becomes one highway from Florida to Maine?

August 25th.

Basing it on JP's note of Labor Day, Saturday, Aug 25th will meet the August notation, and allow it to be open 1 week prior to the heavily travelled Labor Day weekend.

I have not seen a specific day, but of late everything has said that the ramps to complete I-95 will open in August 2018.

We won't see a specific day until much closer, and even then it'll be weather dependent.  When there's a major traffic pattern change (generally speaking in this area), it usually happens on a weekend (Fri into Sat, or Sat into Sun) when traffic is lighter.  They may have a ceremonial first car or ribbon cutting ceremony during the day prior to the opening.

It'll take some coordination with NJTA as well due to the signage issue on their roadway.
I guess so. By the way, I-95 is, right now, 1,924.43 miles long; when the interchange and resigning is complete, how will that change?

By my rough calculations, it'll be approximately 17 miles....SHORTER!

It depends on how that 1924.43 miles is calculated.  The portion of I-95 from US 1 in the Trenton/Princeton area, wrapping around Trenton, then crossing over the PA Turnpike in the Levittown, PA area is about 20 miles long, which will cease to exist as it becomes I-295.  I-95 will gain approximately 3 miles from that Levittown point eastward to the PA/NJ State Line on the PA Turnpike.  The NJ Turnpike has already considered I-95 to start at the NJ/PA State line, along the PA Turnpike Extension, then it turns Northward on the NJ Turnpike mainline, so no mileage change will occur along that portion of the route.

Thus, -20 + 3 = -17, give or take some fractions of a mile for the ramps and such.

Henry

In other words, it'll be 1,907.43 miles long once the new interchange opens!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

PHLBOS

Drove up to TTN again yesterday and noticed that some additional exit tab changes along the NJ stretch of I-95/295 have been added since last week.

One very noticeable change was at this gantry.  Note this location is beyond the current construction zone for the Scudder Falls Bridge replacement project.

In addition to the exit tabs changing (note: no OLD 95 EXIT XX tabs were yet erected), the pull-through BGS now has the NORTH 95 TO portion greened out and the Lawrence listing was changed (via a sheeting plate) to Princeton Princeton[/I] (in Series F lettering no less).

Not 100% sure why the control city was changed on that BGS.  Lawrence still would've worked; especially since old 95 North is being signed as 295 South in NJ.  And the remaining SOUTH 295 legend now looks weird being pushed off to the right.  I'm assuming that full-blown replacement signs for this gantry weren't yet ready/fabricated; so NJDOT's mods to the existing BGS' are a temporary measure.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

02 Park Ave

Will exits 68 through 74 on I-95 in Bergen County have to be renumbered to suit this newly determined length of the Interstate in New Jersey?
C-o-H

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 29, 2018, 09:37:27 AM
Will exits 68 through 74 on I-95 in Bergen County have to be renumbered to suit this newly determined length of the Interstate in New Jersey?

I believe they are based on the NJ Turnpike portion of I-95 mileage.  Since that has always been based on the NJ/PA Turnpike Bridge state line, nothing needs to change.

SignBridge

J&N, you might be right about that. I measure approx. 66 miles from NJTP Exit 6 to Exit 18/US 46 or 72 miles from the Pa/NJ Tpk. bridge. But I always thought the exit numbering on that stretch of I-95 between Teaneck and the G.W. Bridge was a continuation of the I-80 exit numbering. The last exit on I-80 before the 80/95 Interchange is Exit-67 so a continuation would seem logical to me. But your explanation sounds more technically correct.

akotchi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 29, 2018, 10:09:42 AM

I believe they are based on the NJ Turnpike portion of I-95 mileage.  Since that has always been based on the NJ/PA Turnpike Bridge state line, nothing needs to change.
They are based on the original I-95 mileage with the Somerset Freeway.  The difference is about 4 based on current mileage.  I-95 at the NY/NJ state line is about MP 78, and the highest signed exit is 74 (southbound at PIP). 

Still highly unlikely to ever change, since the discrepancy is not evident.  Mileposts posted in the field are Turnpike mainline.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

SignBridge

Hmmm......... That sounds even more technically correct. Thanks akotchi.

bzakharin

Quote from: akotchi on March 29, 2018, 01:15:15 PM

They are based on the original I-95 mileage with the Somerset Freeway.  The difference is about 4 based on current mileage.  I-95 at the NY/NJ state line is about MP 78, and the highest signed exit is 74 (southbound at PIP). 

Still highly unlikely to ever change, since the discrepancy is not evident.  Mileposts posted in the field are Turnpike mainline.
I guess if the Turnpike ever goes mile-base there is a chance they'll change. But I wonder about the Turnpike mileposts, were they placed there when NJTA took over from NJDOT in that area? Were they Somerset Freeway based before that?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: bzakharin on March 29, 2018, 02:12:57 PM
I guess if the Turnpike ever goes mile-base there is a chance they'll change. But I wonder about the Turnpike mileposts, were they placed there when NJTA took over from NJDOT in that area? Were they Somerset Freeway based before that?

I suppose that NJTA would not want to continue with their sequential exit numbers from Exit 18 up to the bridge, since they  time may come when the exits on  the Turnpike might be renumbered (though IMO that would be a bad idea, because perhaps more than any other road in the United States, the exit numbers on the Pike are nearly iconic).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PHLBOS

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 29, 2018, 02:20:56 PMI suppose that NJTA would not want to continue with their sequential exit numbers from Exit 18 up to the bridge,
I don't believe (and someone from North Jersey can verify/confirm/correct) NJTA has jurisdiction over the stretch of I-95 that runs north/east of the I-80 interchange to the G.W. Bridge.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

storm2k

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 29, 2018, 02:56:24 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 29, 2018, 02:20:56 PMI suppose that NJTA would not want to continue with their sequential exit numbers from Exit 18 up to the bridge,
I don't believe (and someone from North Jersey can verify/confirm/correct) NJTA has jurisdiction over the stretch of I-95 that runs north/east of the I-80 interchange to the G.W. Bridge.

They've had jurisdiction over that segment since 1992. In 2000 or 2001, the signs were replaced with then-current NJTA spec signs. The signs were replaced again in 2016 as part of the MUTCD conversion. Since the exit numbers were already established and it's outside of the tolled system, they left the numbers alone.

Alps

Quote from: bzakharin on March 29, 2018, 02:12:57 PM
Quote from: akotchi on March 29, 2018, 01:15:15 PM

Yes, and there is one remnant on the entry road from exit 70 heading west.

theroadwayone

Here's what I think the NJ Pike exit numbers would be if they went to mileage:

Mainline:
Everything south of the Exit 1 toll: Leave as is.

2 (US 322-Swedesboro, Glassboro: ) 12.
3 (NJ 168-Camden, AC Expressway: ) 26.
4 (NJ 73-Mt. Laurel, Camden, Philadelphia: ) 34.
5 (CR 541-Burlington, Mt. Holly: ) 44.
6 (I-95-Pearl Harbor Extension, PA Turnpike: ) 51.
7 (US 206-Bordentown, Trenton: ) 53.
7A (I-195-Trenton, Shore Points: ) 60.
8 (NJ 33/NJ 133-Highstown, Freehold: ) 67.
8A (NJ 32 to US 130-Jamesburg, Cranbury: ) 74.
9 (NJ 18 to US 1-New Brunswick: ) 83.
10 (NJ 440, I-287-Metuchen, Perth Amboy: ) 88.
11 (GSP, US 9-Woodbridge: ) 91.
12 (Carteret, Rahway: ) 96.
13 (I-278-Elizabeth, Staten Island, Goethals Bridge, Verrazano Bridge: ) 100.
13A (Newark Airport, Elizabeth Seaport: ) 101.
14 (I-78, Newark Airport, Holland Tunnel: ) 105A (105 SB.)
Western Spur, I-280, NJ 3: 105B.
15E (US 1-9, Newark, Jersey City: ) 107.
15W (I-280: ) 108.
15X (Seacaucus, Seacaucus Jct, Park & Ride: ) 110.
16E/17 (NJ 3/NJ 495-Seacaucus, Lincoln Tunnel: ) 112.
Western Spur SB, Meadowlands Sports Complex: 117.

Pearl Harbor Memorial Extension:
6A (US 130-Burlington, Bordentown, Florence: ) 2.

Newark Bay Extension (I-78: )
14 (I-95/NJ Pike: ) 59.
14A (NJ 440-Bayonne: ) 62.
14B (Jersey City, Liberty State Park: ) 64.
14C (NJ 139-Pulaski Skyway: ) 66.

theroadwayone

And as for the Western Spur:

For US 1-9 and I-280, use exit numbers as Eastern Spur.

16W (NJ 3, Seacaucus, East Rutherford, Lincoln Tunnel: ) 112.

69 (I-80, Hackensack, Paterson, Cleveland, Chicago, Salt Lake City, San Francisco: ) 117.

Alps

Quote from: theroadwayone on March 29, 2018, 11:37:47 PM
And as for the Western Spur:

For US 1-9 and I-280, use exit numbers as Eastern Spur.

16W (NJ 3, Seacaucus, East Rutherford, Lincoln Tunnel: ) 112.

69 (I-80, Hackensack, Paterson, Cleveland, Chicago, Salt Lake City, San Francisco: ) 117.
Please keep the "I thinks" to Fictional. While I can't divulge things I've been told in confidence, there is a plan and it is not this. Consult the MUTCD for which road takes precedence, for starters.

theroadwayone

That said, I really hope that they never switch to mileage-based numbering. Someone here said a few posts back that those numbers were iconic or something.

theroadwayone

To get back to things that are more, uh, on-topic-ish, how are we to celebrate when I-95 becomes a continuous route from Florida to Maine?

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

dgolub

DrSmith

The state of NJ sold the portion northern portion of I-95 (Route 46 to GWB) to the turnpike authority in 92 to balance the budget, so the turnpike authority has control of it.

NE2

MUTCD doesn't say mile markers have to begin at 0. There's no reason you can't start I-95 at a nonzero mileage so it matches the Turnpike mileage at the merge.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ixnay

Quote from: DrSmith on March 30, 2018, 08:31:21 PM
The state of NJ sold the portion northern portion of I-95 (Route 46 to GWB) to the turnpike authority in 92 to balance the budget, so the turnpike authority has control of it.

NYSDOT faced a similar situation in the 1990's, and handled it almost the same.  See http://www.nycroads.com/roads/I-84_NY/ .

QuoteONCE PART OF THE THRUWAY SYSTEM, BUT NO LONGER: To maintain a steady source of maintenance revenue during the financial crisis of the early 1990's, the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) handed maintenance responsibilities of I-84 and the Cross Westchester Expressway (I-287) over to the New York State Thruway Authority (NYSTA) in October 1991. New NYSTA reference markers were posted every one-tenth mile along the route, but the NYSDOT maintained responsibility for large-scale capital projects. On October 30, 2006, the NYSTA returned maintenance duties to the NYSDOT.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

SignBridge

Only I-84 was returned back to NYSDOT. Thruway still has I-287, Cross Westchester Expwy. which is logical because it connects the Thruway Mainline to the New England Section, I-95.

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on April 01, 2018, 01:24:56 PM
MUTCD doesn't say mile markers have to begin at 0. There's no reason you can't start I-95 at a nonzero mileage so it matches the Turnpike mileage at the merge.
Does anyone other than Arizona milepost Interstates that way?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.