News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer78

PA turnpike continues I-76 mileage onto I-276

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Alps on April 01, 2018, 11:29:32 PM
Quote from: NE2 on April 01, 2018, 01:24:56 PM
MUTCD doesn't say mile markers have to begin at 0. There's no reason you can't start I-95 at a nonzero mileage so it matches the Turnpike mileage at the merge.
Does anyone other than Arizona milepost Interstates that way?

NE2 is wrong, anyway:

Quote from: MUTCD, section 2H.05
13 Zero distance should begin at the south and west State lines, or at the south and west terminus points where routes begin within a State.

Alps

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 01, 2018, 11:35:37 PM
MUTCD doesn't say mile markers have to begin at 0. There's no reason you can't start I-95 at a nonzero mileage so it matches the Turnpike mileage at the merge.

NE2 is wrong, anyway:

Quote from: MUTCD, section 2H.05
13 Zero distance should begin at the south and west State lines, or at the south and west terminus points where routes begin within a State.
That's should, not shall

Alps

Quote from: Flyer78 on April 01, 2018, 11:32:47 PM
Right - but that's a bit different than AZ beginning I-17 at Exit 194, since at least it's continuing numbers from elsewhere. If NJ continued PA's numbering, it actually would come quite close to the NJ Turnpike. I suppose that's a theoretical option.

oscar

Alaska does all kind of weird stuff with mileposts, which bleeds over to its unsigned Interstates:

Interstate A-4 starts at mile 35, picking up on A-1/AK 1's mileposts (rather like Arizona).

Interstate A-1 starts in Anchorage at mile 0, then resets twice, then runs in reverse milepost order from 1314 in Tok to 1222 at the Canadian border.

Interstate A-2 starts at its east end in Tok at mile 1314, then the mileposts reset in Delta Junction from 1422 to 266, then resume their ascent to 361 in Fairbanks.

Interstate A-3 starts at mile 94 in its west/south end in Soldotna, then the mileposts descend to 37, then start ascending from 37 to 127 where the highway changes from the Sterling to the Seward Highway at Tern Lake Junction.

Three Alaska rules account for these oddities:

-- Mileposts are based on named highways, not numbered highways, so if a numbered highway jumps from one named highway to another (A-1 does this three times, A-2 and A-3 once each), mileposts reset.

-- Mileposts don't have to start at zero, or even begin within the United States (for the Alaska Highway parts of Interstates A-1 and A-2, mile 0 is in Dawson Creek BC).

-- Alaska DOT&PF rarely if ever renumbers or recalibrates mileposts, in part because they're used in rural areas for street/mailing addresses.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alps

Quote from: oscar on April 02, 2018, 12:26:48 AM

Alaska does all kind of weird stuff with mileposts, which bleeds over to its unsigned Interstates:

Interstate A-4 starts at mile 35, picking up on A-1/AK 1's mileposts (rather like Arizona).

Interstate A-1 starts in Anchorage at mile 0, then resets twice, then runs in reverse milepost order from 1314 in Tok to 1222 at the Canadian border.

Interstate A-2 starts at its east end in Tok at mile 1314, then the mileposts reset in Delta Junction from 1422 to 266, then resume their ascent to 361 in Fairbanks.

Interstate A-3 starts at mile 94 in its west/south end in Soldotna, then the mileposts descend to 37, then start ascending from 37 to 127 where the highway changes from the Sterling to the Seward Highway at Tern Lake Junction.

Three Alaska rules account for these oddities:

-- Mileposts are based on named highways, not numbered highways, so if a numbered highway jumps from one named highway to another (A-1 does this three times, A-2 and A-3 once each), mileposts reset.

-- Mileposts don't have to start at zero, or even begin within the United States (for the Alaska Highway parts of Interstates A-1 and A-2, mile 0 is in Dawson Creek BC).

-- Alaska DOT&PF rarely if ever renumbers or recalibrates mileposts, in part because they're used in rural areas for street/mailing addresses.
Yeah, but those aren't the mileposts for the Interstates, just the underlying state highways.

jemacedo9

http://www.penndot.gov/regionaloffices/district-6/pages/details.aspx?newsid=2711

QuoteBeginning Monday, April 2, through Friday, April 6, from 8:00 PM to 5:00 AM, periodic short-term lane closures are planned on the following highways and ramps approaching or connecting I-95:

- U.S. 13 (Bristol Pike) in Bucks County;
- Route 132 (Street Road) in Bucks County;
- Interstate 676 in Philadelphia;
- Route 63 (Woodhaven Road) in Philadelphia;
- Academy Road in Philadelphia;
- Torresdale Avenue in Philadelphia;
- Linden Avenue in Philadelphia;
- Princeton Avenue in Philadelphia;
- Vine Street in Philadelphia;
- 7th Street in Philadelphia; and
- Race Street in Philadelphia.

With the listing of intersections as far south as I-676, my guess is that this round of changes will be changing the control city on 95 North from Trenton (and Princeton) to New York.

NE2

Mississippi with I-22. Indiana has the jump on I-69 so they could just add 200 north of Indy. I-70 in Illinois continues I-270's mileage.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jflick99

I-335 is on the Kansas Turnpike for its entire length, and its mileposts begin at 127 (where I-35 leaves the KT in Emporia) to match the Turnpike's mileposts. It ends at MM 177 where I-470 jumps onto the Turnpike in Topeka.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on April 01, 2018, 11:51:45 PM
Right - but that's a bit different than AZ beginning I-17 at Exit 194, since at least it's continuing numbers from elsewhere. If NJ continued PA's numbering, it actually would come quite close to the NJ Turnpike. I suppose that's a theoretical option.

Under the old (sequential) interchange numbering system formerly used by the PTC, the official Pennsylvania highway maps showed the interchange on the New Jersey Turnpike's Pennsylvania Extension at U.S. 130 in Florence as Exit 30 (the easternmost interchange in Pennsylvania on the E-W Mainline of the Turnpike at U.S. 13 was Exit 29), even though I do not believe that the New Jersey Turnpike Authority ever signed it as such (I am not aware of the NJTA ever having signed it with any exit number, though under the current numbering scheme Exit 6A would probably work well).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

storm2k

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 02, 2018, 01:40:53 PM

Under the old (sequential) interchange numbering system formerly used by the PTC, the official Pennsylvania highway maps showed the interchange on the New Jersey Turnpike's Pennsylvania Extension at U.S. 130 in Florence as Exit 30 (the easternmost interchange in Pennsylvania on the E-W Mainline of the Turnpike at U.S. 13 was Exit 29), even though I do not believe that the New Jersey Turnpike Authority ever signed it as such (I am not aware of the NJTA ever having signed it with any exit number, though under the current numbering scheme Exit 6A would probably work well).

Officially, the 130 ramp has always been 6A, but since it's not within the ticket system, it's never had a number signed to it since it was not needed (just barrier tolls for a fixed amount).

roadman65

The original ramp to Exit 6A departed from the right toll lane of the former Exit 6 plaza as motorists did not need to obtain a ticket but pay the toll in cash.  Then there was a partition preventing traffic to re-enter the through lanes or mainly to exit at the actual ramp from the ticketed mainline so just like Exits 16E & 18E it served two completely different interchanges.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

AMLNet49

Quote from: storm2k on April 02, 2018, 01:50:08 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 02, 2018, 01:40:53 PM

Officially, the 130 ramp has always been 6A, but since it's not within the ticket system, it's never had a number signed to it since it was not needed (just barrier tolls for a fixed amount).
Exit 6A isn't signed at the interchange but it is signed on the real time destinations clock signs.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jemacedo9 on April 02, 2018, 10:09:56 AM
http://www.penndot.gov/regionaloffices/district-6/pages/details.aspx?newsid=2711

Within the press release: 

QuoteHighway signs, including exit signs and mile markers, will be replaced on the mainline and approaches/ramps of I-95 to reflect the redesignation of the interstate and exit numbers. The previous exit numbers will be temporarily displayed along with the new exit numbers through late summer or early fall.

This is the same department that STILL hasn't taken down 'Old Exit XX' signs that have been posted on their interstates from the sequential to mile-based conversion a decade ago, and they claim these 'Old Exit XX' signs will only be up for several months??  :-D

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 03, 2018, 08:15:04 AM
This is the same department that STILL hasn't taken down 'Old Exit XX' signs that have been posted on their interstates from the sequential to mile-based conversion a decade ago, and they claim these 'Old Exit XX' signs will only be up for several months??  :-D
I don't mind that at all. It does not create confusion and it saves money. They should only be removed if there is work being done in the vicinity anyway.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on April 03, 2018, 09:07:42 AM
I don't mind that at all. It does not create confusion and it saves money. They should only be removed if there is work being done in the vicinity anyway.

There's always work being done along the highways (the amount of short-term daytime work is insane; anything from pothole repair, drainage cleaning, street sweeping, reflectors, weed spraying, the list goes on and on...).  The problem is the crews doing road work are separate from the crews doing sign work.  It really should've been part of the original contract to remove the 'Old Exit' signs after a period of time.  If it was...why weren't they removed, because then it's a case of paying for a service that was never done.

Henry

QuoteBeginning Monday, April 2, through Friday, April 6, from 8:00 PM to 5:00 AM, periodic short-term lane closures are planned on the following highways and ramps approaching or connecting I-95:

• U.S. 13 (Bristol Pike) in Bucks County;
• Route 132 (Street Road) in Bucks County;
• Interstate 676 in Philadelphia;
• Route 63 (Woodhaven Road) in Philadelphia;
• Academy Road in Philadelphia;
• Torresdale Avenue in Philadelphia;
• Linden Avenue in Philadelphia;
• Princeton Avenue in Philadelphia;
• Vine Street in Philadelphia;
• 7th Street in Philadelphia; and
• Race Street in Philadelphia.

With the listing of intersections as far south as I-676, my guess is that this round of changes will be changing the control city on 95 North from Trenton (and Princeton) to New York.
If they are, then kudos to them! Although I wouldn't mind keeping Trenton up for the local interests either.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jeffandnicole

Quote- Linden Avenue in Philadelphia

Hee-hee...Dept of Redundancy: https://goo.gl/maps/Q9Z2KxAyBJA2

ekt8750

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 03, 2018, 10:24:51 AM
Quote- Linden Avenue in Philadelphia

Hee-hee...Dept of Redundancy: https://goo.gl/maps/Q9Z2KxAyBJA2

And even better a state name Interstate shield within the Philly city limits.

Alps

QuoteHighway signs, including exit signs and mile markers, will be replaced on the mainline and approaches/ramps of I-95 to reflect the redesignation of the interstate and exit numbers. The previous exit numbers will be temporarily displayed along with the new exit numbers through late summer or early fall.

Spotted this past weekend, heading west south: Exit 10 advance for PA - Former Exit 51. I kept my camera ready, knowing what was coming next: Exit 51A - Former Exit 31. So yeah.

theroadwayone

Quote from: Alps on April 03, 2018, 07:33:49 PM

Spotted this past weekend, heading west south: Exit 10 advance for PA - Former Exit 51. I kept my camera ready, knowing what was coming next: Exit 51A - Former Exit 31. So yeah.
How long do those "Old Exit XX" signs really need to stay up in order for drivers to catch on?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: theroadwayone on April 03, 2018, 09:05:34 PM
How long do those "Old Exit XX" signs really need to stay up in order for drivers to catch on?

Back when Atlases and road maps got us around, a few years would be acceptable because many people had maps a few years old.  Today, a year is probably more than sufficient, and that's to satisfy the very few using maps, and businesses that need to update their online directions.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 03, 2018, 10:06:30 PM

Back when Atlases and road maps got us around, a few years would be acceptable because many people had maps a few years old.  Today, a year is probably more than sufficient, and that's to satisfy the very few using maps, and businesses that need to update their online directions.
I believe it's supposed to be 2 years max.

theroadwayone

Quote from: Alps on April 04, 2018, 12:12:26 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 03, 2018, 10:06:30 PM

I believe it's supposed to be 2 years max.
I've seen renderings of the new interchange, and in them US 13 is signed as "Exit 43," and a tab below that says "Milepost 358." Wonder how long beyond the two years that will be there.

Jordanes

Those exit numbers were switched over in 2001.
Clinched 2di:
4, 5, 12, 16, 22, 24, 26, 35, 39, 40, 44, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 70, 72, 73, 74 (both), 75, 76 (both), 78, 79, 81, 82, 83, 84 (both), 85, 86 (both), 87, 88 (both), 89, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99

Almost clinched (less than 100 miles):
20, 30, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 71, 77, 80, 90, 91

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.