News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jwolfer on March 24, 2018, 04:14:16 PM
Does anyone know how many lanes this was supposed to be? 6 or 8?

I would imagine 6, which would match up with the original 6 lane section of 95 North of Trenton and  the 6 lane section of I-287.

akotchi

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 24, 2018, 04:48:07 PM
Quote from: akotchi on March 24, 2018, 03:50:50 PM
An update of sorts on the resigning efforts . . . Passing through the Mercer County section of I-95/I-295:  There are a few signs that have not been changed yet by NJDOT -- they are somewhat random.  I-95 confirmations are still out there, though most have been removed.  No new I-295 confirmations yet.

Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission has started changing exit numbers and pull through signs, at least on the New Jersey side.  Using greenout and overlays, since most signing will be removed because of the Scudder Falls Bridge construction.  Exit 76 now exists.  So does Exit 10, at least on one sign leaving New Jersey which is for the Taylorsville Road interchange upon entering Pennsylvania.
I went by that area yesterday, for a job visit at nearby TTN airport.  Regarding that for-mentioned Exit 10B-A BGS; it appeared that there was the OLD EXIT 31 sign (that should've been taken down years ago) was modified to read OLD EXIT 51A-B.

It's worth noting that the stretch of I-95 (Future I-295) in PA still has most of its OLD EXIT XX signs around.  When PennDOT re-signs its stretch; one has to wonder whether they'll just place new numbers onto the old squares similar to what was done for the lone Exit 10B-A BGS or just replace the old panels with new ones.

Who knows, maybe PennDOT will stupidly place a new set of OLD EXIT XX square next to its older counterparts.  Either that or modify the originals to read OLD-OLD EXIT XX:sombrero:

Back to the NJ side of the river:  for one supplemental Exit 1 (new Exit 76) sign for the State Police Museum had its 1 listing replaced with a larger 76 panel.  Such is large enough that half of the new panel extends beyond the main panel.  Personally, I would expect this sloppiness to come from PennDOT not NJDOT.

"North" of Bear Tavern Road (new Exit 75), the Toll Bridge Commission is handling the sign changes since that is the NJ limit of the bridge construction.  As such, most of the signs will not survive the construction project, so new panels or better overlays (i.e. changes for aesthetics) do not appear to be the priority.

I have not been on all the interchange crossroads lately, but what I have been on has been changed to 295.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

roadman65

If it was like I-380 after I-81E was eliminated those numbers stayed for a long time as well.  As when I-380 was sequential it had the numbers start from I-81 (yes both I-84 and I-380 shared Exits 1 and 2 together) as it was signed E-W where I-81E was N-S so therefore PA 934 ( the exit signed for the town of Pocono that does not exist) was Exit 1 and it headed north to Scranton (or midway too, as I-81E did not go beyond PA 307 when it lived.

So this does not surprise me just as it took 3 years to sign the US 1 freeway at Oxford Valley as US 1 and sign the old US 1 in Pendell as US 1 Business. Before 1990-91 the Oxford Valley was numberless and used Langhorne and Oxford Valley and US 1 Business was signed as Pendell and Trenton before then.  The US 1 freeway into Morrisville to connect with the Trenton Freeway opened in 1987.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

theroadwayone

Speaking of exit numbers, what will be the exit number for the interchange itself? From the turnpike, my pick is Exit 356; from I-95, Exit 41; from I-295, Exit 1.

AMLNet49

Quote from: theroadwayone on March 25, 2018, 10:52:24 PM
Speaking of exit numbers, what will be the exit number for the interchange itself? From the turnpike, my pick is Exit 356; from I-95, Exit 41; from I-295, Exit 1.
since there are TOTSOs involved for 95 and it’s a terminus for the other roads it might be better to just go with no number for any of them. Although it is a high speed totso so maybe that doesn’t count the same as a loop ramp mainline

ixnay

Just where does the Toll Bridge Commission have jurisdiction over the approaches of the Scudders Falls Bridge?

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on March 26, 2018, 07:54:39 AM
Just where does the Toll Bridge Commission have jurisdiction over the approaches of the Scudders Falls Bridge?

ixnay

Basically between Taylorsville Rd in PA (I-95 Exit 51) and Rt. 29 in NJ (I-95 Exit 1) (the closest interchanges to the Delaware River in both states).

On the PA Side: While there's a noticeable pavement transition here: https://goo.gl/maps/mAELnXSi1fQ2, actual 'Start of DRJTBC Jurisdiction' signage is seen to the right here, a few hundred feet from the pavement transition: https://goo.gl/maps/UEcYwJ9FUWx

On the NJ Side: The sign is on the eastern edge of the Rt. 29 Overpass: https://goo.gl/maps/musrbBrkrHL2

In other news: Here's the DRJTBC press release about their resigning of 95 to 295: http://www.drjtbc.org/project/I-295signs

PHLBOS

Quote from: theroadwayone on March 25, 2018, 10:52:24 PM
Current plans have the interchange as Exit 40 off I-95.  The existing Exit 40 (PA 413) interchange will be renumbered as Exit 39.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

theroadwayone

And to be clear, is the whole interchange right now being built, or just the north-to-east and west-to-south ramps?

bzakharin

Quote from: theroadwayone on March 26, 2018, 04:01:04 PM
And to be clear, is the whole interchange right now being built, or just the north-to-east and west-to-south ramps?
Just the north-to-east and west-to-south ramps. As of last update, the *design* for the other ramps was to begin in 2017.

theroadwayone

Quote from: bzakharin on March 26, 2018, 04:12:12 PM
Just the north-to-east and west-to-south ramps. As of last update, the *design* for the other ramps was to begin in 2017.
Knowing how PTC rolls with this, they won't be done till at least forever.

BrianP

Quote from: theroadwayone on March 26, 2018, 04:36:00 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on March 26, 2018, 04:12:12 PM
Knowing how PTC rolls with this, they won't be done till at least forever.
Agreed.  The priority of the other ramps is possibly lower than another turnpike shortcoming that has its own thread and I will not name.  ;-)  And there are many other higher priorities like the reconstruction of much of the turnpike, the southern beltway and Mon-Fayette expressway in western PA. 

And really what other ramps have much of a need:
-Tpk East to I-295 north and I-295 south to Tpk west - handled by US 1.
-Tpk East to I-95 south and I-95 north to Tpk west - long distance travel could use I-76/I-476.  Shorter distance traffic could use US 1 & PA 63.
-I-95 south to I-295 north - I-295 south to I-95 north - this traffic is local to the Trenton/Bucks County area.  It can use other local exits (I-195 NJ, US 13 & 1 PA) and highways.

Those may not be ideal but I would question the amount of traffic making those movements.  So the need for the other ramps is not large. 

02 Park Ave

Will the PA Tpk exit currently called "358" be given a new I-95 based exit number in the process?
C-o-H

akotchi

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 26, 2018, 10:33:32 PM
Will the PA Tpk exit currently called "358" be given a new I-95 based exit number in the process?
It will be given an I-95 exit number -- I believe 43.

The only exit number needed for the new interchange in the foreseeable future is 40, because there are no exiting movements at the western terminus of I-295 or the eastern terminus of I-276.  Those roadways transition directly into I-95 south and north, respectively.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

yakra

Are all the new exit numbers posted on the NJ side now?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

SignBridge

So for the eastbound Penn. Tpke. we can expect to see a sign something like "End 276 east, Begin 95 north". Also interesting that this will be the second time the Delaware Valley Interchange is being renumbered. Originally #29, changed some years back to #358 for mile-based exit numbering and now being changed again as part of I-95. 

theroadwayone

What day do you think will be the one when I-95 becomes one highway from Florida to Maine?

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: theroadwayone on March 27, 2018, 09:11:09 PM
What day do you think will be the one when I-95 becomes one highway from Florida to Maine?

September 5th would be appropriate
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ixnay

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 27, 2018, 11:41:58 PM

That's the Wednesday after Labor Day.  A random choice, jp, or is there some significance to the date?

ixnay

Jim

Quote from: ixnay on March 28, 2018, 07:34:51 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 27, 2018, 11:41:58 PM

That's the Wednesday after Labor Day.  A random choice, jp, or is there some significance to the date?

ixnay

Because that's 9/5, I assume.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

jeffandnicole

August 25th.

Basing it on JP's note of Labor Day, Saturday, Aug 25th will meet the August notation, and allow it to be open 1 week prior to the heavily travelled Labor Day weekend.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 28, 2018, 09:31:05 AM

August 25th.

Basing it on JP's note of Labor Day, Saturday, Aug 25th will meet the August notation, and allow it to be open 1 week prior to the heavily travelled Labor Day weekend.

I have not seen a specific day, but of late everything has said that the ramps to complete I-95 will open in August 2018.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 28, 2018, 11:25:00 AM

August 25th.

I have not seen a specific day, but of late everything has said that the ramps to complete I-95 will open in August 2018.

We won't see a specific day until much closer, and even then it'll be weather dependent.  When there's a major traffic pattern change (generally speaking in this area), it usually happens on a weekend (Fri into Sat, or Sat into Sun) when traffic is lighter.  They may have a ceremonial first car or ribbon cutting ceremony during the day prior to the opening.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 28, 2018, 12:07:43 PM

August 25th.

We won't see a specific day until much closer, and even then it'll be weather dependent.  When there's a major traffic pattern change (generally speaking in this area), it usually happens on a weekend (Fri into Sat, or Sat into Sun) when traffic is lighter.  They may have a ceremonial first car or ribbon cutting ceremony during the day prior to the opening.

It'll take some coordination with NJTA as well due to the signage issue on their roadway.

theroadwayone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 28, 2018, 12:08:56 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 28, 2018, 12:07:43 PM

August 25th.

It'll take some coordination with NJTA as well due to the signage issue on their roadway.
I guess so. By the way, I-95 is, right now, 1,924.43 miles long; when the interchange and resigning is complete, how will that change?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.