News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

briantroutman

Quote from: motorway on September 21, 2018, 04:59:59 PM
Now that we've reached this point, will there actually be an ongoing effort to complete the multiple remaining missing movements at the interchange? Or will this be similar to the Second Avenue Subway in which there is the tacit common sentiment that we were lucky enough to get part of a public works project opened and best not to press our luck with actually completing the entire vision?

No one knows the answer to be sure, but I think the best response to the question was already given upthread.

Quote from: qguy on September 20, 2018, 10:45:41 PM
When I was the Philadelphia representative on the Community Design Coordination Committee (or whatever it was called, memory fails) from around 1992 to  around 2002, the locals in the immediate vicinity of the project area felt very strongly that if so much I-95 corridor traffic was going to be shifted into their community, at least they would see a local benefit in the form of increased convenience for themselves.

When I spoke with the PA Turnpike engineer and Jacobs Engineering engineer at the Golden Spike Meet, they assured me that they and their colleagues were keenly aware of the "promise"  forged with the locals over the years. For their part, the two of them were obviously very enthusiastic about the entire project, and were personally committed to pushing the organization toward completing the entire project. They said the PTC remains committed to completing it.

As with anything, it's a matter of funding. The original federal contribution was not nearly enough to pay for entire project. In fact, the current construction has exhausted the federal funding. So now we wait. No one, not even at the PTC, has a precise answer as to when the remaining ramps will be built.

If I were forced to make a prediction, I'd say they'll start construction possibly within five years, almost certainly within ten (real bold on my part, eh?), if only because anything farther out would be a political scandal.

theroadwayone

Quote from: briantroutman on September 21, 2018, 05:03:10 PM
Quote from: motorway on September 21, 2018, 04:59:59 PM
Now that we've reached this point, will there actually be an ongoing effort to complete the multiple remaining missing movements at the interchange? Or will this be similar to the Second Avenue Subway in which there is the tacit common sentiment that we were lucky enough to get part of a public works project opened and best not to press our luck with actually completing the entire vision?

No one knows the answer to be sure, but I think the best response to the question was already given upthread.

Quote from: qguy on September 20, 2018, 10:45:41 PM
When I was the Philadelphia representative on the Community Design Coordination Committee (or whatever it was called, memory fails) from around 1992 to  around 2002, the locals in the immediate vicinity of the project area felt very strongly that if so much I-95 corridor traffic was going to be shifted into their community, at least they would see a local benefit in the form of increased convenience for themselves.

When I spoke with the PA Turnpike engineer and Jacobs Engineering engineer at the Golden Spike Meet, they assured me that they and their colleagues were keenly aware of the "promise"  forged with the locals over the years. For their part, the two of them were obviously very enthusiastic about the entire project, and were personally committed to pushing the organization toward completing the entire project. They said the PTC remains committed to completing it.

As with anything, it's a matter of funding. The original federal contribution was not nearly enough to pay for entire project. In fact, the current construction has exhausted the federal funding. So now we wait. No one, not even at the PTC, has a precise answer as to when the remaining ramps will be built.

If I were forced to make a prediction, I'd say they'll start construction possibly within five years, almost certainly within ten (real bold on my part, eh?), if only because anything farther out would be a political scandal.
This is to say that they will be built; we just don't know when.

jcn

We know that they'll be updating the signs on the PA side, but does anyone know when they will uncover the I-95 signs at Exit 6 on the New Jersey Turnpike?

akotchi

Quote from: jcn on September 21, 2018, 06:58:34 PM
We know that they'll be updating the signs on the PA side, but does anyone know when they will uncover the I-95 signs at Exit 6 on the New Jersey Turnpike?
I will let you know tomorrow when I go through that area.  Some signs north and west of Exit 6 also need to be adjusted as well.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

theroadwayone

Quote from: akotchi on September 21, 2018, 07:23:18 PM
I will let you know tomorrow when I go through that area.  Some signs north and west of Exit 6 also need to be adjusted as well.
I'm surprised that there's nothing under the sign for I-276 East from US 13.

Alps

They're pretty with it. If PTC notifies NJTA that the new road is open, they'll come through and do it.

SignBridge

Even if there's any delay in modifying the signs at NJT Exit-6, no real harm will be done. Only way there would be any problem was if the signs were changed before the new ramps are opened.

akotchi

The Turnpike and I-95/295 closures have begun, and what appear to be the first signs to be uncovered are the ones at the entrance to new I-95 from U.S. 13.  Posted on barricades are Jct/95, To/Toll/West/276, and To/PaTP route marker assemblies.  Photos later in daylight – my shots did not come out tonight.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

theroadwayone

Gonna go to bed out here on the west coast. When I wake up, I-95 will be a complete route from Florida to Maine.

Don'tKnowYet

PTC reports ramps opened at 6:52 a.m. EDT.

briantroutman

Just drove through– it's open!

Signage on I-95 northbound is APL.  Southbound/westbound is diagrammatic.

I will post photos when I get the opportunity to take them...if someone else doesn't first.  Not only does the new signage lack Penna Turnpike keystone markers, it's post TO with NJTP shields.

Stephane Dumas

There's a video of the ceremony opening and the ceremonial ribbon. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ_ztb-QfsU

briantroutman

Here's northbound on I-95 approaching the interchange:

On the flyover:

Merging with the PA Turnpike mainline northbound/eastbound:

Southbound/westbound on I-95/PA Turnpike approaching the interchange:

At the I-95/I-276 split:

Signage for the PA 413 exit on the flyover:

Merging with I-295 southbound/westbound:

OracleUsr

With Exit 358 now Exit 42, what is the highest numbered exit in PA now?

And, do I understand correctly, that PennDOT has no desire to return to Clearview?
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Jim

A trivial concern among all the destruction down there, but the ongoing flooding in North Carolina means it's not quite possible yet to drive from Miami to the Canadian border on now-continuous I-95.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

motorway

Thanks so much for posting the photos!

akotchi

Thanks for posting the photos, Brian!!  I just did the circuit this morning and took many of the same shots ... I will have others to post later from the Turnpike and U.S. 13 approaches.

briantroutman

^^ (Both above) Absolutely–glad I can be the eyes on the ground for everyone who can't be here.

At first, I wondered why there was the inconsistency in signing approaches–APL northbound but diagrammatic southbound–but then I realized that it's because the mainline Turnpike has yet to be widened from the new interchange east to the Delaware River Bridge. And as a result, and APL would be an odd in fit in the current southbound/westbound configuration since the primary since the primary I-95 through lane doesn't yet exist at the point of the two advance guide signs. So the old-style diagrammatic interchange is probably a better fit for the time being. I wouldn't be surprised if the southbound signage is changed to APL after the widening and additional interchange segments are completed.

By the way, I after a few passes through the interchange and as daytime traffic volumes began to grow, I noticed a fair amount of confusion westbound–drivers getting into the far right lane (despite the multiple advance signs–plus mobile VMSes displaying "I-95 - KEEP RIGHT" ), then cutting across two lanes and the gore when they realized that the right lane does not continue to I-276 westbound.

akotchi

^ The confusion may be because a three-lane diagrammatic sits over a two lane roadway, and the third lane opens on the left.  Folks are still used to the Turnpike as the through move and expect the third lane to open to the right for I-95 traffic.  This needs a few weeks for people to get used to it.

J N Winkler

Quote from: briantroutman on September 22, 2018, 10:26:44 AMAt first, I wondered why there was the inconsistency in signing approaches–APL northbound but diagrammatic southbound–but then I realized that it's because the mainline Turnpike has yet to be widened from the new interchange east to the Delaware River Bridge. And as a result, and APL would be an odd in fit in the current southbound/westbound configuration since the primary since the primary I-95 through lane doesn't yet exist at the point of the two advance guide signs. So the old-style diagrammatic interchange is probably a better fit for the time being. I wouldn't be surprised if the southbound signage is changed to APL after the widening and additional interchange segments are completed.

Stippled-arrow diagrammatics are cheaper since they have less sign panel area, and so are better suited for temporary or interim use.  However, the one actually posted is misleading since it shows three lanes at the stem of the arrow when in fact there are just two.  The motorist confusion you observed would likely have been less if the diagrammatic representation had shown on which side the third lane is gained prior to the diverge.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

briantroutman

And in fairness, the confused motorists I observed could possibly be written off as locals on autopilot who are accustomed to the way it used to be. These were cars with NJ and PA plates and some delivery trucks of local businesses.

I did also see a NY-plated car follow the through I-95 southbound movement decisively–anecdotal evidence that the interchange's role in facilitating through I-95 traffic is already being fulfilled.

Roadwarriors79

So does anyone know if the NJTA has uncovered any of its I-95 signs yet? I'm curious to see if any of the newer signage at Exit 9 and north will make its way south any time soon, or if the current signage from Exits 6 to 8A will carryover.

Overall I like what the PTC and PennDOT have done.

akotchi

^ I will find out this afternoon when I go through that area.  Chances are that the signs currently there will be overlaid with a shield or an existing overlay removed.

Roadsguy

A handful in NJ are uncovered at Exit 6, though not even all of them. Most remain with blank spaces. Just drove through there 30-45 minutes ago.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.