Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IowaTraveler

Quote from: plain on December 31, 2022, 01:50:36 PM
Quote from: CovalenceSTU on December 31, 2022, 03:38:13 AM
Saw this comically large Do Not Enter sign on Highway 97 in Oregon a while back. 12ft wide according to the Google Earth measuring tool :D

https://goo.gl/maps/fEL8pnsoUpSNPp8v9

12 ft? Unless that lane is wider than 12 feet then I don't see it.

The roadway underneath the sign looks like it's in the process of narrowing from 2 lanes down to 1 lane, so it actually is wider than 12 feet. Using the measuring tool in Google Maps shows that the road directly below the sign is 22 feet wide from the white line to the yellow line.

plain

Quote from: IowaTraveler on December 31, 2022, 02:17:17 PM
Quote from: plain on December 31, 2022, 01:50:36 PM
Quote from: CovalenceSTU on December 31, 2022, 03:38:13 AM
Saw this comically large Do Not Enter sign on Highway 97 in Oregon a while back. 12ft wide according to the Google Earth measuring tool :D

https://goo.gl/maps/fEL8pnsoUpSNPp8v9

12 ft? Unless that lane is wider than 12 feet then I don't see it.

The roadway underneath the sign looks like it's in the process of narrowing from 2 lanes down to 1 lane, so it actually is wider than 12 feet. Using the measuring tool in Google Maps shows that the road directly below the sign is 22 feet wide from the white line to the yellow line.

Oh ok makes sense. Also, I actually didn't see the link under the image before I posted that until now.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Big John

The 1-lane road needs to be wider than 12 in order to overtake a stalled vehicle.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on January 02, 2023, 02:37:15 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/c7gpwoxcN9Xz28eA6
Connecticut using those arrows on the border is very unattractive as their Welcome Signs.
https://goo.gl/maps/862atd5PmcbyzNvK7
What?  Those are the Parkway signs.  I like them for their uniqueness.  Of course, they're so well-known that they may not even qualify for this thread.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mr. Matté

From my first bike rides of the year:

Princeton, NJ, for how rich it is, can't afford good looking shields

Also a mismatch of an arrow color scheme for the most random scenic byway in the U.S., the Upper Freehold Historic Farmland Byway, at a new roundabout

Scott5114

Quote from: Mr. Matté on January 02, 2023, 08:13:30 PM
Also a mismatch of an arrow color scheme for the most random scenic byway in the U.S., the Upper Freehold Historic Farmland Byway, at a new roundabout

horse connector
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

^^^
It would appear the same contractor that produces the infamous Pennsylvania acorns got hired to do those.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Quote from: Rothman on January 02, 2023, 03:20:18 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 02, 2023, 02:37:15 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/c7gpwoxcN9Xz28eA6
Connecticut using those arrows on the border is very unattractive as their Welcome Signs.
https://goo.gl/maps/862atd5PmcbyzNvK7
What?  Those are the Parkway signs.  I like them for their uniqueness.  Of course, they're so well-known that they may not even qualify for this thread.

Not everyone knows them.

Plus they still look odd.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Quote from: Mr. Matté on January 02, 2023, 08:13:30 PMAlso a mismatch of an arrow color scheme for the most random scenic byway in the U.S., the Upper Freehold Historic Farmland Byway, at a new roundabout

I always find unlabeled pictographic routes to be maddingly intriguing.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I wasn't expecting to find this, in Lorain (Ohio), yesterday...

Wonder if its older than this sign, that Tim Brown showed us, at the 2020 Cincy Meet
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

roadman65

Illinois in Indiana.
https://goo.gl/maps/LxnRQjZhWY9bhwnH7
IN 212 in shield but US 12 in text.  Something IDOT does for WB I-24.

Sheryl Crowe

thenetwork

Driving home last night and saw a CDOT VMS sign saying the following:

714 TRAFFIC FATALITIES
SO FAR THIS YEAR
DRIVE SAFELY.

Wow, not even 5 full days into 2023, and it's already on pace to be the deadliest year on Colorado Roads!!!

kphoger

Wichita has had one recently that says...

TIS THE SEASON
PLAN AHEAD
DON'T DRIVE DRUNK

(I'm not sure about the third line, actually.)  Anyway, the first time I saw it, my eyes landed on "AHEAD" and immediately thought the VMS was warning me about something to look out for on the highway.  So I stared it for a few seconds, trying to figure out what obstruction was up ahead.  A plane?  No, that doesn't make sense.  Ohhhh, I should have known it was just a nanny message.  Meanwhile, my eyes had been off the road...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Amaury

Quote from: thenetwork on January 05, 2023, 01:15:19 PMDriving home last night and saw a CDOT VMS sign saying the following:

714 TRAFFIC FATALITIES
SO FAR THIS YEAR
DRIVE SAFELY.

Wow, not even 5 full days into 2023, and it's already on pace to be the deadliest year on Colorado Roads!!!

I wonder if they're talking about the United States as a whole.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

thenetwork

Quote from: Amaury on January 05, 2023, 04:03:08 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on January 05, 2023, 01:15:19 PMDriving home last night and saw a CDOT VMS sign saying the following:

714 TRAFFIC FATALITIES
SO FAR THIS YEAR
DRIVE SAFELY.

No, they were using the 2022 data massage.  It was close to that number on VMS signs a few months ago.  Someone likely forgot to delete that message from the VMS menu, or forgot to switch out "SO FAR THIS YEAR" with "IN 2022."

CDOT doesn't care how bad you drive in other states

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: thenetwork on January 05, 2023, 04:25:25 PM
Quote from: Amaury on January 05, 2023, 04:03:08 PM

714 TRAFFIC FATALITIES
SO FAR THIS YEAR
DRIVE SAFELY.

No, they were using the 2022 data massage.  It was close to that number on VMS signs a few months ago.  Someone likely forgot to delete that message from the VMS menu, or forgot to switch out "SO FAR THIS YEAR" with "IN 2022."

CDOT doesn't care how bad you drive in other states

I enjoyed your joke thenetwork.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/1abxUe9GrS2i65C68
This one is bad as the sign is somewhat misleading. The road to the right of the island is not the I-95/ US 1 ramp, but the signs arrows can have a driver at a quick glance think that it is. 
The signs seen in the distance next to the YIELD sign are where the ramp really is.

Awkward situation here that needs a mast arm with lane control arrows.

Sheryl Crowe

LilianaUwU

The way these signs are arranged, it seems as though Adopt-a-Highway is a thing of the past.

We remember Adopt-a-Highway, ON 401 by Liliana Vess, on Flickr

On a similar subject, and actually related to the sign assembly above, how does one enforce remembering fallen soldiers?

We remember our fallen soldiers - ON 401 EB by Liliana Vess, on Flickr
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

D-Dey65

While I was doing some GSV research on Waycross, Georgia this morning, I stumbled upon this non-MUTCD compliant warning sign on Lee Avenue north of Memorial Drive (US 1 Bus/US 23 Bus/GA 4 Bus);
https://www.google.com/maps/@31.2119341,-82.3539031,3a,75y,17.07h,98.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOU2xJ2IrKrhj0FXMTjVFzA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

This is before that street goes under the CSX Brunswick Subdivision east of Brunswick Junction on the CSX Jesup Subdivision.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: LilianaUwU on January 09, 2023, 08:54:47 AM
The way these signs are arranged, it seems as though Adopt-a-Highway is a thing of the past.

Hahaha!  At least someone remembers when people/businesses would adopt highways.

Rothman

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 09, 2023, 11:20:42 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on January 09, 2023, 08:54:47 AM

Hahaha!  At least someone remembers when people/businesses would adopt highways.
The program still exists in various parts of the U.S., but yeah, a lot of businesses were like, "That's a great idea!...Oh wait, you mean we have to pick up litter more than once?"
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JoePCool14

On the topic of Adopt-A-Road, imagine if AARoads adopted a road. Where would we go?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

kirbykart

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 09, 2023, 02:24:27 PM
On the topic of Adopt-A-Road, imagine if AARoads adopted a road. Where would we go?

We would adopt the H.E. Bailey Turnpike Spur to Norman, OK.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.