News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-90 rebuilding and widening

Started by bahnburner, September 08, 2015, 10:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tribar

Will both Meacham ramps be tolled or only one?

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: tribar on October 28, 2016, 01:03:39 PM
Will both Meacham Ramos be tolled or only one?

looks to be both and speed limit 55 at least for I-290 to I-294.

ET21

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on October 28, 2016, 06:03:31 PM
Quote from: tribar on October 28, 2016, 01:03:39 PM
Will both Meacham Ramos be tolled or only one?

looks to be both and speed limit 55 at least for I-290 to I-294.

Boooooooooo on the speed limit. I could see 55 from Lee Street eastward though
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

quickshade

Speed limits will remain the same through the next year while data is collected about traffic flow on the new lanes and interchanges and while some final minor construction is completed on I-90 next year. They have already said that they will reevaluate the speed limit over the summer and make a decision next fall about any increases which should be put into effect the following spring. Don't be surprised if it jumps up to 60-65 in some places.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: quickshade on October 30, 2016, 05:27:38 PM
Speed limits will remain the same through the next year while data is collected about traffic flow on the new lanes and interchanges and while some final minor construction is completed on I-90 next year. They have already said that they will reevaluate the speed limit over the summer and make a decision next fall about any increases which should be put into effect the following spring. Don't be surprised if it jumps up to 60-65 in some places.
I-294 needs to be at least 60 all the way.

Great Lakes Roads

Yesterday (11/5/16), I drove on Interstate 90 towards Illinois State Road 31. Here is an update on I-90 rebuilding and widening.

1. Work continues in the median in 3 sections:
a) just west of Devon Avenue Toll Plaza to Arlington Heights Road
b) Roselle Road to Barrington Road
c) Illinois State Road 25 to Illinois State Road 31

2. Elmhurst Road Interchange looks like it's almost done. I-Pass Only-Eastbound Exit and Westbound Entrance.

3. Meacham Road Interchange looks like it's ready to open soon. I-Pass Only-Westbound Exit and Entrance.

4. Roselle Road Interchange. Eastbound entrance ramp will have a new toll gate getting onto the tollway. Looks like there will be 2 I-PASS only lanes and 1 cash lane. Also, the Eastbound exit ramp (which is I-Pass Only) looks like it's ready to open soon.

5. Barrington Road Interchange. Eastbound entrance ramp will have a new toll gate getting onto the tollway. Looks like the I-Pass lanes will be on the outside, and the cash lane will be on the inside. Haven't seen any major construction on the Eastbound off-ramp. Traffic has been shifted onto the new ramps and the loop ramp to Interstate 90 Eastbound has been removed.  Looks like the westbound on-ramp is about 70-80% complete.

6. The SMART Technology. Gantries are already up between the eastern end of the project all the way to the Barrington Road Interchange.

7. Other items. 
a) Lighting. The lighting are going up in the median and some of the interchanges.  Looks about 50% complete.
b) Gantries. There are still some sign gantries in the median that will need to go up and over the road.

Looks good so far!  :clap: :clap:
-Jay Seaburg

Revive 755

^ Also to note is that for at least a brief section east of Roselle Road, the westbound mainline has all four main lanes open

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 06, 2016, 09:51:17 PM
^ Also to note is that for at least a brief section east of Roselle Road, the westbound mainline has all four main lanes open
no 3+aux like how it used to be.

Final plan seems to be 4+aux.

ET21

Brief 4 lane + aux looks to also open at Arlington heights road

Clinched:

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ET21 on November 08, 2016, 10:47:36 AM

should be from I-290 / IL-53 till Arlington heights road. Now Arlington heights road to Elmhurst Rd / I-490 ramps?

dvferyance

The should add a Meacham EB off ramp to help Woodfield traffic.

Brandon

Quote from: dvferyance on November 08, 2016, 02:47:53 PM
The should add a Meacham EB off ramp to help Woodfield traffic.

That's what the full interchange at Roselle is for.  A full interchange at Meacham would interfere too much with the Roselle ramps.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ET21

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on November 08, 2016, 02:00:29 PM
Quote from: ET21 on November 08, 2016, 10:47:36 AM

should be from I-290 / IL-53 till Arlington heights road.

Not yet, they're still doing final concrete fillings and signage placement as of Sunday in that section. I'm just talking about the Art heights road interchange itself, all they have to do is remove the cones

Clinched:

quickshade

From the Elgin toll to 53/290 mainline I90 is about 95% complete. landscaping work is ongoing along the route while sign work and lighting installs continue. A few traffic shifts remain depending on work zone area and as they work to stripe all lanes. Only a single section of concrete barriers remains near the Barrington road interchange as they configure the new ramps. The ramp to I90 west is being worked on and should be completed in early December.

On the other side the new exit ramp is starting construction with an early 2017 completion date scheduled. At that time traffic will be aligned in it's final pattern through the intersection. Mainline I90 work in this area however should be wrapped up by mid December allowing all lanes to open. Near 53 crews were installing lighting on all exit ramps and center median. A barricade wall was being built from the 53 south to i90 west ramp to reduce noise to the residential area and toll work was ongoing at the new exit.

There is still a major dip in the road east of Barrington road exit going eastbound. This will be addressed with a traffic shift and ripping up the concrete in that section for repair. The tollway predicts a mid December opening of all I90 lanes (although some area's may be open before that). The temporary electrical poles and lights are starting be be shut down in areas but i'd assume those won't actually come down until next spring depending on the weather.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: quickshade on November 12, 2016, 04:11:19 PM
From the Elgin toll to 53/290 mainline I90 is about 95% complete. landscaping work is ongoing along the route while sign work and lighting installs continue. A few traffic shifts remain depending on work zone area and as they work to stripe all lanes. Only a single section of concrete barriers remains near the Barrington road interchange as they configure the new ramps. The ramp to I90 west is being worked on and should be completed in early December.

On the other side the new exit ramp is starting construction with an early 2017 completion date scheduled. At that time traffic will be aligned in it's final pattern through the intersection. Mainline I90 work in this area however should be wrapped up by mid December allowing all lanes to open. Near 53 crews were installing lighting on all exit ramps and center median. A barricade wall was being built from the 53 south to i90 west ramp to reduce noise to the residential area and toll work was ongoing at the new exit.

There is still a major dip in the road east of Barrington road exit going eastbound. This will be addressed with a traffic shift and ripping up the concrete in that section for repair. The tollway predicts a mid December opening of all I90 lanes (although some area's may be open before that). The temporary electrical poles and lights are starting be be shut down in areas but i'd assume those won't actually come down until next spring depending on the weather.

That all seems to make sense. I had a feeling the I-90 EB Exit ramp to Barrington would go into next year as the work at that interchange seemed to just go slower. Very happy to have the mainline lanes opening next month. Any word on when the Elmhurst Rd interchange will be fully open?

ILRoad55

I drove on the Jane Addams for the first time when I went out to Wisconsin yesterday. It looks really good. Although there are some messy areas like Elmhurst and Des Plaines Oasis and Barrington, it's coming along well. I am confused on the Meachem Interchange, will there be Stoplights there or no? I didn't see stoplights on the bridge and I believe the Message board said Electronic tolling November.

And I am still confused on the Des Plaines Oasis. So they are leaving it up until the EOWA comes through? I saw the Gantry signs with the Oasis sign on them. It just seems weird that eventually they will tear up that section in like 2-3 years to create the interchange for the EOWA

quickshade

The Elmhurst road interchange will open at some point in December. The tollway doesn't ever put out firm dates because everything is project and weather dependent. expect them to give a loose date by the end of November in terms of what week the interchange will fully open.

As for the oasis, the signs could easily be converted over to new signage for the EOWA when the time comes.

I-39

I highly doubt the Barrington Road interchange will be fully ready by the end of the year. Too much is left to be done. They haven't even laid any concrete for the EB exit ramp and only just within the last week or so removed the existing loop ramp. And I still don't think they have finished the actual improvements on Barrington Road. The Barrington Road interchange won't be finished until next spring at the soonest.

Revive 755

Quote from: ILRoad55 on November 12, 2016, 09:29:50 PM
I am confused on the Meachem Interchange, will there be Stoplights there or no? I didn't see stoplights on the bridge and I believe the Message board said Electronic tolling November.

The Meacham interchange will be signalized, the contractor is just taking a little while to get all the permanent signals up for the Roselle and Meacham interchanges.

Quote from: ILRoad55 on November 12, 2016, 09:29:50 PMAnd I am still confused on the Des Plaines Oasis. So they are leaving it up until the EOWA comes through? I saw the Gantry signs with the Oasis sign on them. It just seems weird that eventually they will tear up that section in like 2-3 years to create the interchange for the EOWA

Could be closer to four to five years, as the IL 390 to I-90 section of the Western Bypass/I-490 is supposed to be the last part of the EOWA project constructed, and is not supposed to start construction until sometime after 2020.   Though if the Tollway keeps having problems with the Canadian Pacific Railroad for the southern end of I-490, I could see them switching the schedule around and doing the IL 390 to I-90 section before the IL 390 to I-294 section.

quickshade

Quote from: I-39 on November 13, 2016, 04:07:33 PM
I highly doubt the Barrington Road interchange will be fully ready by the end of the year. Too much is left to be done. They haven't even laid any concrete for the EB exit ramp and only just within the last week or so removed the existing loop ramp. And I still don't think they have finished the actual improvements on Barrington Road. The Barrington Road interchange won't be finished until next spring at the soonest.

Correct, as stated above they will finish the WB entrance ramp and have that open in December sometime, however the EB exit from I90 will not be done until 2017. I imagine they will finish all sewer and blacktop work, lay the apron from I90 to the exit and put a barrier wall up. Come back in the spring and pour the rest of the concrete, finish landscaping and lighting work and do a final traffic shift into final lane configuration while opening the ramp.

quickshade

http://www.journal-topics.com/news/article_1d415972-ace1-11e6-9925-47bdebd4c5cf.html

Can't find it on the tollway website but seems most construction will be wrapped up by next week.

johndoe780

Quote from: quickshade on November 17, 2016, 05:07:38 PM
http://www.journal-topics.com/news/article_1d415972-ace1-11e6-9925-47bdebd4c5cf.html

Can't find it on the tollway website but seems most construction will be wrapped up by next week.

Surprised the tollway hasn't made a public announcement yet.

Makes sense that they would open up all 8 lanes right before thanksgiving.

tribar

All lanes are open between Arlington Heights Road and Roselle Road. Meacham Rd interchange is complete.  Most of the rest of it is close to being done Witt the exception of Barrington Road to 59.

hobsini2

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ET21

I sense a road trip of I-90 soon  :bigass:

Clinched:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.