News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Turnpike to Thruway

Started by 02 Park Ave, August 29, 2014, 06:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Park Ave

What is the best route for one to take to access the northbound NYS Thruway from the NJ Turnpike?

I take the Parkway up to the Union tolls and then go west on the I-78 to NJ 24 to the I-287 to the Thruway.

It may be longer than staying on the Parkway, but it's usually an easier drive.
C-o-H

Zeffy

I'd imagine that taking the Turnpike all the way up to I-80 and then from I-80 either choosing to hop on NJ 17 to NY 17 / I-87 or continuing to I-287 and then taking that to get to to the NYS Thruway. I haven't actually used the Thruway before though, so this is at best an educated guess.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Jim

I usually use the Garden State if I really want the Turnpike.  If I'm coming from or going to points in Delaware or south, I normally use I-287, US 202, and NJ 31 to get between the Thruway and I-95 north of Trenton.

Any decision on how to get through that area for me depends on time of day, current traffic problems, etc.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Zeffy

Quote from: Jim on August 29, 2014, 06:40:33 PM
If I'm coming from or going to points in Delaware or south, I normally use I-287, US 202, and NJ 31 to get between the Thruway and I-95 north of Trenton.

Any decision on how to get through that area for me depends on time of day, current traffic problems, etc.

NJ 31 can get clogged quickly though, even though it has a 45-50 MPH speed limit once you are north of Pennington. Coming from Delaware or south of 195, I think my routing would be to take I-295 to I-195 to the Turnpike, from there I would probably ride it up to Exit 10 / I-287 and ride up that way, or maybe take it to 15W and use I-280 to get towards I-80, and from there, you can either take it to I-287 and eventually the Thruway, or take it towards the GSP.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman65

I would say use the NJ Turnpike to I-80 WB.  Then use the local lanes to NJ 17 NB.  Follow NJ 17 into I-87.

Living in NJ I can say if you do not like the Parkway, that is your best alternate than going way out to catch I-287 and make the long loop.  It is more direct this way and NJ 17 is signal free north of I-80, so its almost like full freeway with the exception of the businesses along its way. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 29, 2014, 06:01:09 PM
What is the best route for one to take to access the northbound NYS Thruway from the NJ Turnpike?

I take the Parkway up to the Union tolls and then go west on the I-78 to NJ 24 to the I-287 to the Thruway.

I have always found the Parkway to be a reasonably easy and fast drive from the Turnpike to the Thruway.

Have also taken I-287 from the Turnpike, but that is seemingly a much l-o-n-g-e-r ride (Google says the Parkway is about 9 miles less than I-287).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cl94

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 29, 2014, 09:12:04 PM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 29, 2014, 06:01:09 PM

I have always found the Parkway to be a reasonably easy and fast drive from the Turnpike to the Thruway.

Have also taken I-287 from the Turnpike, but that is seemingly a much l-o-n-g-e-r ride (Google says the Parkway is about 9 miles less than I-287).

I usually cut up NJ 17. Can save a couple minutes (Google says 3) and easy access to cheap gas right before the border.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Duke87

The most direct way to make the connection is to take the Parkway to NJ 17. Assuming you are in a passenger vehicle, anyway.

Yes, the parkway has tolls, but if you're worried about tolls, why are you looking to get to/from the Turnpike or the Thruway?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 29, 2014, 09:12:04 PM
I agree with this.  The best way to the Thruway is to go right up the Parkway.  Unless of course you're driving a tractor trailer - then 287 it is...

dgolub

The most direct route is probably I-80 to NJ 17 up to the state line, where it hooks into the Thruway via I-287.  Alternatively, there's also the Palisades Parkway, which will probably add a couple of miles but has nice scenery.  Then there's always the Garden State, if you're interested in paying the tolls.

vdeane

If someone's not interested in paying the tolls, they probably aren't headed from the Turnpike to the Thruway.

Garden state Parkway to NJ 17 looks like the most direct way.  Not that I've ever gone the most direct way.  Every time I've diverged to clinch something.

Fun fact: the portion of the Garden State Parkway in New York is part of the Thruway.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

Hey the tolls are very expensive in NJ now.  They have reached and even surpassed Florida which has had high tolls from the 1990's.  Yes it does sound hypocritical for one to pay the high tolls on one road, but not another.  Then again saving 5 dollars on one road and paying the same five or more on another road is still saving 5 bucks.

Heck one time I went from John Young Parkway to FL 407 along the FL 528 Toll Road which had 3 tolls at the time.  I actually exited the roadway at Exit 9 for Conway Road, then took McCoy Road EB to FL 436 SB to return to Beachline just to avoid the airport mainline plaza despite paying at the West Toll and the FL 417 Mainline Plaza.  I still saved some money even though I paid the other two plaza tolls.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

The Garden State Parkway still has some of the cheapest tolls around. Compare them with recently built roads like the Triangle Expressway in NC or the ICC.

cl94

Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 30, 2014, 12:38:59 PM
The Garden State Parkway still has some of the cheapest tolls around. Compare them with recently built roads like the Triangle Expressway in NC or the ICC.

Or 407 in Toronto. To go the entire 107.2 km without a transponder is $25.51. That's 66.61 miles,  or 38.3 cents per mile. $4.75 of that are fees that are charged no matter the distance traveled. Heck, to go between any 2 adjacent exits is well over $5 because of the fees. It gets to the point where tolls could be over $1.20 per kilometer.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

froggie

QuoteGarden state Parkway to NJ 17 looks like the most direct way.  Not that I've ever gone the most direct way.  Every time I've diverged to clinch something.

I've done the reciprocal of this (i.e. going southbound) and it's not bad.  The lack of traffic signals on 17 helps.

Alps

So yes, Tpk-Pkwy-17-87 is the fastest. I don't know where you all are getting Tpk-80-17 instead - that not only is longer for distance, but puts you through the most congested part of 17 in Rochelle Park where it's only 2 lanes each way. You'd have a better time going around on 287 than sitting in that. (semi-facetious)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on August 31, 2014, 11:47:29 PM
So yes, Tpk-Pkwy-17-87 is the fastest. I don't know where you all are getting Tpk-80-17 instead - that not only is longer for distance, but puts you through the most congested part of 17 in Rochelle Park where it's only 2 lanes each way. You'd have a better time going around on 287 than sitting in that. (semi-facetious)

It can slow there for two miles or so, but is rarely stop-and-go.  At night or on Sunday it's a non-issue.  On Saturday afternoon, forget it.  But there are times it's a reasonable alternative if there's something worth avoiding on the Parkway. 

Duke87

I haven't had too much trouble with that part of 17.

Here's another fun bit: if you're coming from NYC and heading upstate west of the Hudson it is actually faster to do GWB/NJ 4/NJ 17 and pick up the Thruway at Suffern than it is to take the Thruway the whole way. But NJ 4 I've noticed tends to back up weekends and rush hours, moreso than that part of 17 does. So, back when I had cause to make regular trips to Sullivan County, my normal route northbound was GWB/I-80/NJ 17/Thruway/NY 17 and my normal route southbound was NY 17/US 6/US 9/NY 9A/Taconic/Sprain/BRP (because much lower toll on the Bear Mountain Bridge).

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on September 01, 2014, 02:54:50 PM
Here's another fun bit: if you're coming from NYC and heading upstate west of the Hudson it is actually faster to do GWB/NJ 4/NJ 17 and pick up the Thruway at Suffern than it is to take the Thruway the whole way.
Pythagoras gave us that tidbit first.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dgolub

Probably because it's how the buses go coming from Manhattan.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Duke87 on September 01, 2014, 02:54:50 PM

I haven't had too much trouble with that part of 17.

Here's another fun bit: if you're coming from NYC and heading upstate west of the Hudson it is actually faster to do GWB/NJ 4/NJ 17 and pick up the Thruway at Suffern than it is to take the Thruway the whole way. But NJ 4 I've noticed tends to back up weekends and rush hours, moreso than that part of 17 does. So, back when I had cause to make regular trips to Sullivan County, my normal route northbound was GWB/I-80/NJ 17/Thruway/NY 17 and my normal route southbound was NY 17/US 6/US 9/NY 9A/Taconic/Sprain/BRP (because much lower toll on the Bear Mountain Bridge).

The Palisades should also not be discounted from the GWB.  Usually flows freely, has no trucks or mall traffic.  Cops are nastier than 17 south of Ridgewood, less so than 17 north of Ridgewood (where the long list of nabs recently included Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock). 

Duke87

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 01, 2014, 09:07:42 PM
The Palisades should also not be discounted from the GWB.  Usually flows freely, has no trucks or mall traffic.  Cops are nastier than 17 south of Ridgewood, less so than 17 north of Ridgewood (where the long list of nabs recently included Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock).

Downside is that the Palisades can only be accessed from the upper level... and I habitually use the lower whenever traffic might be a concern since it usually moves better.

cl94

Quote from: Duke87 on September 01, 2014, 10:33:51 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 01, 2014, 09:07:42 PM

Downside is that the Palisades can only be accessed from the upper level... and I habitually use the lower whenever traffic might be a concern since it usually moves better.

Completely agree. Trucks can't clog up the lower level.

02 Park Ave

On which level is one placed when the GWB is approached from the Harlem River Drive?
C-o-H

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on September 02, 2014, 09:54:25 AM
On which level is one placed when the GWB is approached from the Harlem River Drive?

Either–stay left for upper, right for lower.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.