News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-93 Boston Exit 20 HOV Ramp

Started by AMLNet49, October 15, 2018, 05:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMLNet49

In the last couple weeks, the HOV ramp from the left side of I-93 (servicing about half the movements of the regular Exit 20 for MassPike / South Station-Chinatown), which leaves from the right side of I-93 was opened to all traffic.

This means that if you are going to either South Station-Chinatown or we’re going to take the MassPike to Logan Airport (the two movements served by the old HOV ramp), Exit 20 effectively leaves from both sides of the freeway.

First of all I love this. This has been very clutch driving into the city in the left lane, instead of having to cut across 4 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic to get to south station, I can now just stay in the left lane and take the left exit to South station. It really is a great improvement.

As far as signing, for now the white HOV-style advance and directional signs for the exit are still in place (which have always been seperate from the regular Exit 20’s signs), with a yellow “Open to all traffic” tab on the top left. The HOV diamond was whited out

Then at the gore, there’s a new regular green gore sign with the text “S Station / Airport” and an arrow.

The signage at the split to South Station once you’re on the ramp itself also remains white, with no tabs, with the HOV diamonds covered ups

My question is, what is the long-term signage plan for this ramp? I assume it will be green, but will it be incorporated into the Exit 20 signage?

Do the individual components of Exit 20 get letters (A, B, C), with the old Exit 20 labeled “20 A-B-C” and the left exit labeled “20 A-C”? That isn’t perfect either because this ramp duplicates a couple of Exit 20 movements but not others

Alps

bob7374

Quote from: AMLNet49 on October 15, 2018, 05:31:26 PM
In the last couple weeks, the HOV ramp from the left side of I-93 (servicing about half the movements of the regular Exit 20 for MassPike / South Station-Chinatown), which leaves from the right side of I-93 was opened to all traffic.

This means that if you are going to either South Station-Chinatown or we're going to take the MassPike to Logan Airport (the two movements served by the old HOV ramp), Exit 20 effectively leaves from both sides of the freeway.

First of all I love this. This has been very clutch driving into the city in the left lane, instead of having to cut across 4 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic to get to south station, I can now just stay in the left lane and take the left exit to South station. It really is a great improvement.

As far as signing, for now the white HOV-style advance and directional signs for the exit are still in place (which have always been seperate from the regular Exit 20's signs), with a yellow "Open to all traffic"  tab on the top left. The HOV diamond was whited out

Then at the gore, there's a new regular green gore sign with the text "S Station / Airport"  and an arrow.

The signage at the split to South Station once you're on the ramp itself also remains white, with no tabs, with the HOV diamonds covered ups

My question is, what is the long-term signage plan for this ramp? I assume it will be green, but will it be incorporated into the Exit 20 signage?

Do the individual components of Exit 20 get letters (A, B, C), with the old Exit 20 labeled "20 A-B-C"  and the left exit labeled "20 A-C" ? That isn't perfect either because this ramp duplicates a couple of Exit 20 movements but not others
The opening of the ramp is part of a 1-year pilot project that also opens the South Boston Bypass Road to all traffic:
http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/massdot-beginning-south-boston-bypass-road-and-portion-of-hov-lane-pilot-program-monday-october-15/

I assume the signing will not be changed unless the moves are made permanent after the pilot study is up.

Alps

Quote from: bob7374 on October 15, 2018, 06:17:19 PM

This means that if you are going to either South Station-Chinatown or we're going to take the MassPike to Logan Airport (the two movements served by the old HOV ramp), Exit 20 effectively leaves from both sides of the freeway.

As far as signing, for now the white HOV-style advance and directional signs for the exit are still in place (which have always been seperate from the regular Exit 20's signs), with a yellow "Open to all traffic"  tab on the top left. The HOV diamond was whited out

Then at the gore, there's a new regular green gore sign with the text "S Station / Airport"  and an arrow.

The signage at the split to South Station once you're on the ramp itself also remains white, with no tabs, with the HOV diamonds covered ups

Do the individual components of Exit 20 get letters (A, B, C), with the old Exit 20 labeled "20 A-B-C"  and the left exit labeled "20 A-C" ? That isn't perfect either because this ramp duplicates a couple of Exit 20 movements but not others
The opening of the ramp is part of a 1-year pilot project that also opens the South Boston Bypass Road to all traffic:
http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/massdot-beginning-south-boston-bypass-road-and-portion-of-hov-lane-pilot-program-monday-october-15/

I assume the signing will not be changed unless the moves are made permanent after the pilot study is up.
Looks like I'll be coming up to visit you in the next 11.5 months.

bob7374

Quote from: Alps on October 15, 2018, 06:35:42 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on October 15, 2018, 06:17:19 PM

This means that if you are going to either South Station-Chinatown or we’re going to take the MassPike to Logan Airport (the two movements served by the old HOV ramp), Exit 20 effectively leaves from both sides of the freeway.

As far as signing, for now the white HOV-style advance and directional signs for the exit are still in place (which have always been seperate from the regular Exit 20’s signs), with a yellow “Open to all traffic” tab on the top left. The HOV diamond was whited out

Then at the gore, there’s a new regular green gore sign with the text “S Station / Airport” and an arrow.

The signage at the split to South Station once you’re on the ramp itself also remains white, with no tabs, with the HOV diamonds covered ups

Do the individual components of Exit 20 get letters (A, B, C), with the old Exit 20 labeled “20 A-B-C” and the left exit labeled “20 A-C”? That isn’t perfect either because this ramp duplicates a couple of Exit 20 movements but not others

Looks like I'll be coming up to visit you in the next 11.5 months.
MassDOT has also created a project webpage for the pilot study project:
https://www.mass.gov/service-details/traffic-updates-bypass-road-and-loganroute-1a-express-lane-pilot

froggie

Saw the signage showing it "Open to all traffic" (but not trucks...pretty sure there was a No Trucks symbol sign adjacent) enroute to Logan Saturday night, but given which lane I was in and heavy SE Expwy traffic (even at 8pm), I opted for the normal right-side exit.

I *MIGHT* have a picture of it, though, from the previous weekend (when I was also on NB 93 but not heading to Logan).  Will have to go back through my photos and look.

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.