News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-95 RI Welcome Center closed

Started by Beeper1, September 29, 2011, 10:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beeper1

RIDOT announced today that is is permanently closing the rest area and welcome center on I-95 NB near the Conn border.  Veryl last minute announcement too, as the closure takes effect today. 

Here's the official press release.
http://www.ri.gov/DOT/press/view.php?id=14858

Brandon

I smell bullshit about the way travelers use the welcome center.  Based on my experiences with the New Buffalo one in Michigan, RI is just trying get out of its duty to the public.  Closing off a rest area is the dumbest thing ever, IMHO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

shadyjay

Wow!  Stopped at this area about a month or so ago.  Always sad to see a welcome center/rest area go... but there is no reason why the parking area can't remain open.  But I guess its not THAT big of a deal as there is another, much larger parking area a few miles up the road after Exit 4 which doubles as a weigh station.

Michael in Philly

Not cool.  Not cool at all.  I stopped there in June, and the welcome center was a nice one, with information from most if not all New England states, not just Rhode Island.

When are state governments going to stop being penny-wise/pound-foolish about the cost of promoting tourism?  And what does this country have against public bathrooms?  Besides, of course, the fact that a certain segment of the population thinks "public" is synonymous with "Communist," but I didn't think that segment of the population was running rampant in southern New England....
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

billpa

Does Rhode Island operate any rest stops on any of its Interstates?  I'm not sure why this couldn't be converted to a restroom/picnic area.
When I stopped at the Maine welcome center on I-95 in York this summer I could barely find a place to park, despite the fact that we all have Internet/GPS these days.

wytout

CT tried this bullshit "cost saving" measure on July 1st, barricading ALL the rest areas in the state except the old CT TPKE service centers, but thanks to a lot of push-back through a local radio show hosted by a former CT governor and it's listeners combined with a few other groups in the state, that decision was rescinded by ol' Danno.  I'm not a fan of big government or waste, but the government has two primary jobs above all the other crap they blow money on, Transportation Infrastructure and Security/Public Safety.  To me, rest areas fit BOTH of those categories.
-Chris

Brandon

Quote from: billpa on October 01, 2011, 05:14:07 AM
Does Rhode Island operate any rest stops on any of its Interstates?  I'm not sure why this couldn't be converted to a restroom/picnic area.
When I stopped at the Maine welcome center on I-95 in York this summer I could barely find a place to park, despite the fact that we all have Internet/GPS these days.

Exactly.  I usually find welcome centers full of people even in the age of internet/GPS.  Even the brochures counters in the Ohio Turnpike service plazas have takers in the later evening.  I'd say people rely on GPS to get there, and the internet to see what's there, and pick up other ideas along the way at the welcome center (as well as the new map).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

deathtopumpkins

I would much rather see RIDOT leave this open (I've stopped at it before) and close the absurd excuse for a "rest area" a few exits up the road. I presume it is the parking area already mentioned, but the signs say rest area, only when you exit it's just a large square of pavement.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alps

Quote from: billpa on October 01, 2011, 05:14:07 AM
Does Rhode Island operate any rest stops on any of its Interstates?
There's one on I-295 past the MA border that is sparsely attended.

Beeper1

The one in I-295 NB near the Mass line is more of a service area, with food and a state parks info center.  since that one gets funded through the private concession and the state parks department (and the state police for the little substation there) I dont think its at rsk of closing.

This probably does kill plans to build another one across the road on 295 SB.

Michael in Philly

^^Wait, what?  There's a service area - with food* - on an always-toll-free Interstate?  Why did I not know this?

*I assume you're talking more than just vending machines.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Beeper1

No, it has actual food.  Specifically a Dunkin Donuts and a Baskin Robbins Ice Cream.     

Alps

I never noticed the food. But yeah, this opens a gapingly huge question. How is RI allowed to operate something that's disallowed everywhere else on the Interstate system, on a road that was clearly never a turnpike?

Brandon

^^ I think the key part of this is that the state parks department operates it, not the DOT, if I'm reading Beeper1's comment correctly.

Alps

I don't see how that makes it better, though I don't know what the particular FHWA rule is.

NE2

I guess you could think of it as an exit that serves only one place, like the ranch exits in the West or (more closely) an exit to a state park.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Beeper1

IIRC, they got a special waiver from the feds.

D-Dey65

Sounds to me like yet another plot by the governments of the Northeast to be unfriendly to motorists.

MrDisco99

There's a Mobil and Dunkin Donuts on both sides of the Deegan Expressway (I-87) in Van Cortland Park in NYC.  That was never a turnpike, either, despite being just a half mile or so south of where it becomes the Thruway.  Some stuff just gets grandfathered in.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beeper1 on October 02, 2011, 12:24:28 AM
No, it has actual food.  Specifically a Dunkin Donuts and a Baskin Robbins Ice Cream.     

Maybe it was built originally as a non-Interstate highway (which means that the federal restrictions against food and vehicle services on the highway) do not apply. 

Just a guess on my part. 

Maryland's Chesapeake House and Maryland House service plazas on I-95 (JFK Highway, technically a toll road, even though the only toll charged is northbound crossing the Susquehanna River) were built without any federal dollars, and the Maryland Transportation Authority has been careful to never take any federal money to maintain or upgrade the segment of the road between Md. 43 and the Delaware border, hence those service plazas are still there.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Duke87

Quote from: MrDisco99 on February 19, 2012, 11:23:48 PM
There's a Mobil and Dunkin Donuts on both sides of the Deegan Expressway (I-87) in Van Cortland Park in NYC.  That was never a turnpike, either, despite being just a half mile or so south of where it becomes the Thruway.  Some stuff just gets grandfathered in.

Toll road or not, the Major Deegan was built prior to the interstate system being created. But even if it were built after, the fact that was not built using federal interstate funding exempts it from the operating restrictions normally associated with interstates. So, it can have concessions. And NYSDOT could chose to toll it without federal approval if they wanted to.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on February 20, 2012, 07:42:58 PM
Quote from: MrDisco99 on February 19, 2012, 11:23:48 PM
There's a Mobil and Dunkin Donuts on both sides of the Deegan Expressway (I-87) in Van Cortland Park in NYC.  That was never a turnpike, either, despite being just a half mile or so south of where it becomes the Thruway.  Some stuff just gets grandfathered in.

Toll road or not, the Major Deegan was built prior to the interstate system being created.
False. The old maps I've looked at have the Deegan being built in 1960.

Quote from: Duke87 on February 20, 2012, 07:42:58 PM
But even if it were built after, the fact that was not built using federal interstate funding exempts it from the operating restrictions normally associated with interstates. So, it can have concessions. And NYSDOT could chose to toll it without federal approval if they wanted to.
That explains it - no Federal funding. Thanks.

shadyjay

Courtesy of NYCRoads by Steve Anderson:

The Deegan was built between 1935-1956. 

QuoteGAS STATIONS ON THE EXPRESSWAY: Just south of the Bronx-Westchester border in Van Cortlandt Park, there is a pair of gas stations along the northbound and southbound lanes of the expressway. The gas stations, which were constructed in the early 1950's (prior to the prohibitions against roadside service stations established by the creation of the Interstate highway system), remain in operation under contract from the New York City Parks Department.

See more details here:  http://www.nycroads.com/roads/major-deegan/

SidS1045

Quote from: Michael in Philly on October 01, 2011, 11:09:35 AM
^^Wait, what?  There's a service area - with food* - on an always-toll-free Interstate?  Why did I not know this?

*I assume you're talking more than just vending machines.

There are two on I-95/MA-128:  northbound in Lexington and southbound in Newton.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Beeper1

Yes, since MA-128 pre-dates the interstate system (also has a service area up in Beverly on the non I-95 section.  Mass had alot of service areas on its pre-interstate freeways.  MA-24 has a set in Bridgewater, and the big gas station/truck stop on the Cape at the US-6/MA-132 interchange is technically a state-owned service plaza.

There used to be more:
* On I-95 north of Boston there used to be a set, one each direction, near Rowley, where the weigh stations are now.  They dated to when that freeway was just US-1, and I think were torn down when the highway was widened to 8 lanes in the 70s.
* On the old I-84, now a frontage road alongside modern I-84, there was a servie area on the westbound side just before the CT state line.  This dated to when that was just MA-15, and closed in the early 70s when the new I-84 was built and the old route became a local road.  There is just a vacant lot there now.
* On the Southeast Expressway, now I-93 but then just MA-3, on the southbound side in quincy just before the Furnace Brook Parkway exit.  Probably torn down in the 80s when that section of highway was widened. 

You can see them all on historic areal photo wesites. 

Recenlty the state had plans to add some more, on MA-146 in Uxbridge where the current rest areas are, and on MA-2 someplace near Gardner.

I-295 in RI was built as an interstate with fed funds, but somehow got around the no services rule.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.