News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

1976 Delaware County map scans and notes

Started by Alex, August 16, 2012, 11:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

As mentioned in the thread of the Barry Bridge Stub, I scanned a few more items of interest from a copy of the official Delaware County Map from 1976.

While the interchange with MacDade Boulevard was built as envisioned (and of course the I-95 interchange which was completed in the 1970s - unfortunately with its bottleneck of the I-95 mainline), every interchange between there and I-76 was proposed as something else. You can see a full cloverleaf interchange in place of the diamond that currently exists between I-476 and Baltimore Pike. The Volleyball at US 1 was planned as a partial interchange, with some movements, like US 30 to I-476 north handled by an interchange at PA 320 (which does not exist today).

Further north, the unbuilt tri-level interchange mentioned somewhere else on the forum, :hmmm: comes into view and the partial-cloverleaf interchange with PA 3 (West Chester Pike) was proposed as a full-cloverleaf interchange.

A few more ramps were envisioned to join Interstate 476 with U.S. 30 than what was actually built.

A huge interchange complex was proposed along Interstate 95 for Philadelphia International Airport and the unconstructed Cobbs Creek Expressway (Interstate 695). Note also the new alignment for PA-291, a number of platted streets that were never built and that I-95 defaulted onto PA-291 to the west (until its completion in 1985).

PHLBOS

Those originally-designed interchanges (Baltimore Pike, US 1, PA 3 & US 30) weren't supposed to be fully-signalized either.  The reconfigurations (to the current layouts) were a result of a design compromise to get the road built; although I'm somewhat puzzled as towards why the PA 3 & US 30 interchanges were re-configured, the mainline I-476 corridor (at 6-lanes) was already laid out by then.  I-476, in its original size (6-lanes all the way through) along with the original interchanges was supposed to be fully-built and open to traffic by 1976.  There would have been some nice button-copy & pull-through signs on the road then had it been built then.

That stub-interchange between PA 320 & PA 3 was supposed to be the western terminus of the ultimately-cancelled Lansdowne Expressway (part of US 1(?)).

With regards to the I-95/PA 291/Airport interchange; it's worth noting that PA 291 near the airport terminals was relocated from Essington Ave. (which was taken out to accomodate the then-new Arrivals & Departures Roadways) on Gov. Pritz Blvd./Industrial Ave. corridor by then.  That map graphic showing 291 along Essington and the old airport circle ramps was already obsolete even then. 

PA 291 between Bartram Ave. and Island Ave. has since been relocated (along Bartram Ave.) several years ago to allow for the extension of Runway 17-35 at the airport.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

It can be further noted that a 1/4 mile portion of 291 North is now used as the Cell Phone lot at PHL.  Traffic flows south on this roadway, with angled parking on one side, and parallel parking on the other side.  Even better, the lot is very well signed from 95's arrival roadway and easy to get to!

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 16, 2012, 01:40:49 PM
It can be further noted that a 1/4 mile portion of 291 North is now used as the Cell Phone lot at PHL.  Traffic flows south on this roadway, with angled parking on one side, and parallel parking on the other side.  Even better, the lot is very well signed from 95's arrival roadway and easy to get to!
The Cell Phone lot signage from both directions of I-95 were erected earlier this year.

The lot itself is along former-291 East.  Former-291 West is now a return/recirculation road from the terminals and the rental car lots.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Beltway

<<< Further north, the unbuilt tri-level interchange mentioned somewhere else on the forum,  >>>

That is the western terminus of the proposed Lansdowne Expressway.

BTW, I have copies of 1970s maps that show these originally planned I-476 interchanges.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jemacedo9

Not shown above (probably because the proposal never progressed as far as design, or maybe the proposal was dead by 1976), midway between the US 30 and I-76 expressway, there was a proposed freeway heading north and connecting directly to the end of US 422 at US 202.  In other words, US 422 was to continue south and feed directly into I-476.  The routing was noted on older Alfred B Patton Maps.

How much traffic would be relieved from I-76 between Conshohocken and KOP/Valley Forge if this was built??

Beltway

Quote from: jemacedo9 on August 16, 2012, 05:09:42 PM
Not shown above (probably because the proposal never progressed as far as design, or maybe the proposal was dead by 1976), midway between the US 30 and I-76 expressway, there was a proposed freeway heading north and connecting directly to the end of US 422 at US 202.  In other words, US 422 was to continue south and feed directly into I-476.  The routing was noted on older Alfred B Patton Maps.

How much traffic would be relieved from I-76 between Conshohocken and KOP/Valley Forge if this was built??

That was called the Radnor Spur.

Probably not enough relief to justify it, given that a widened I-76 and KoP connector from I-76 to US-422 could handle that traffic adequately, in addition to providing a direct connection for I-76 traffic.

There was also a proposed Wayne Bypass, a 4-lane freeway that would have extended about 3 miles west of I-476, following the abandoned P&W Railroad right-of-way, providing a US-30 bypass of St. Davids and Wayne to the south of those towns.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

PHLBOS

Quote from: Beltway on August 16, 2012, 05:56:26 PMThat was called the Radnor Spur.

Probably not enough relief to justify it, given that a widened I-76 and KoP connector from I-76 to US-422 could handle that traffic adequately, in addition to providing a direct connection for I-76 traffic.
The problem with that thought is that to this day, I-76 is still only 4-lanes from US 202 to I-476 (and beyond to US 1 South) and can be a parking lot even on weekends.

One primary reason why the Radnor Spur (aka US 422 Extension) was dropped was because of I-476 being continually delayed; many though that I-476 south of I-76 was never going to become reality until the mid-80s Supreme Court dismissed all opponents' lawsuits.  I'm sure PennDOT didn't want to extend the 422 highway unless there was another available highway to connect to.

Had the US 422/Radnor Spur existed, I don't think I'd ever use I-76 between I-476 and US 202 at all.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

East...North...all the same! :-)

Actually, that cell phone lot was opened in late 2009/early 2010, and signs have been in place since that time. 

Ian

Awesome map scans Alex, and interesting stuff PHLBOS! I had no idea that there was a proposed Lansdowne Expressway. Do you (or anyone else) know what the routing of it would've been had it been built?
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alex

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 17, 2012, 11:56:13 AM
Awesome map scans Alex, and interesting stuff PHLBOS! I had no idea that there was a proposed Lansdowne Expressway. Do you (or anyone else) know what the routing of it would've been had it been built?

Steve Anderson has a page on the Lansdowne Expressway. I was unaware of that scuttled freeway until yesterday and would also like to see a proposed map of the freeway.

I do have a few maps that show the Radnor Spur, but they are not county level detail. Glad that it was brought up, because it was something I was equally curious about.

Another one of my maps that I may scan at some point is a Franklin Bucks and Montgomery County street atlas that shows some alignments for PA-611 that were never built. The key map for the one county also shows the alignment for what I believe is the Piedmont Expressway (US 202). Franklin was good for retaining long-dead route proposals, as a Philadelphia area fold map I have from around 1990 or so shows a number of dashed lines in Philadelphia, one for US 322 in South Jersey, NJ-90's proposal, etc.

Roadsguy

This was the '70s.

There was a huge area without an easy crossing route (stuck with US 30 or PA 3).

Of course there was an expressway plan for it. :sombrero:

Is there a PDF of that somewhere?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Beltway

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 17, 2012, 11:56:13 AM

Check the map near the middle of this document ... generally follows the Darby Creek valley between I-476 and I-695.

Marple Township Comprehensive plan
http://tinyurl.com/blsv275

(Robert Coté, 2002)

route_82

These maps are AWESOME! I love this stuff... if you have anymore, please please share!  :clap:

Alex

Quote from: route_82 on September 12, 2012, 09:31:03 AM
These maps are AWESOME! I love this stuff... if you have anymore, please please share!  :clap:

I have an extensive map collection, much of which is northeast related. Will be scanning additional maps in the future. Glad you liked them, thanks!

route_82

Quote from: Alex on September 12, 2012, 12:32:16 PM

I have an extensive map collection, much of which is northeast related. Will be scanning additional maps in the future. Glad you liked them, thanks!

I can't wait!!  Also, how did you get your images to show up in your topic message?
I tried with one I created recently and couldn't figure out how.

Thanks!

Alex

Quote from: route_82 on September 12, 2012, 12:40:15 PM

I can't wait!!  Also, how did you get your images to show up in your topic message?
I tried with one I created recently and couldn't figure out how.

Thanks!

Those are uploaded on the AARoads server and linked with IMG tags. I sent you a pm about it with regards to the I-195 thread.

route_82

Hey Alex,  I started a new job at a highway engineering firm this week.  As luck would have it, I stumbled upon something that gave me a total 'Highway Nerdgasm'.  There before me today was a giant booklet dating to 1965 of detailed plans for the Blue Route.

Inside each of the interchanges was similar to your map's, and some even more elaborate.  If I get an opportunity, I'll snag pictures and post them on here.

There's also an awesome map of the Philadelphia region.  It also includes PA 90, Lansdowne Expy as well as an extended Roosevelt Expy, I-695, and Radnor Spur.

I nearly dropped a brick when I saw it  :bigass:

Roadsguy

Quote from: route_82 on September 18, 2012, 11:26:32 PM
There's also an awesome map of the Philadelphia region.  It also includes PA 90, Lansdowne Expy as well as an extended Roosevelt Expy, I-695, and Radnor Spur.

In a word:

:wow:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Ian

Quote from: route_82 on September 18, 2012, 11:26:32 PM
Inside each of the interchanges was similar to your map's, and some even more elaborate.  If I get an opportunity, I'll snag pictures and post them on here.

Please do. I'm eager to see it!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Henry

Awesome finds!

(Although I'm sure that I-695 had been cancelled two years earlier, in 1974)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Interstatefan78

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 17, 2012, 08:22:28 AM
Quote from: Beltway on August 16, 2012, 05:56:26 PMThat was called the Radnor Spur.

The problem with that thought is that to this day, I-76 is still only 4-lanes from US 202 to I-476 (and beyond to US 1 South) and can be a parking lot even on weekends.

One primary reason why the Radnor Spur (aka US 422 Extension) was dropped was because of I-476 being continually delayed; many though that I-476 south of I-76 was never going to become reality until the mid-80s Supreme Court dismissed all opponents' lawsuits.  I'm sure PennDOT didn't want to extend the 422 highway unless there was another available highway to connect to.

Had the US 422/Radnor Spur existed, I don't think I'd ever use I-76 between I-476 and US 202 at all.
Maybe Penndot should redo I-76 from Exit 326-347 since this has heavy congestion in or out of Philadelphia, and they should consider putting HOV lanes in both the Westbound and Eastbound lanes since SEPTA buses use I-76 from King of Prussia up to 30th street station so a 8 lane I-76 might solve the congestion from exit 326-352.   

PHLBOS

Quote from: Interstatefan78 on October 10, 2012, 08:02:40 PMMaybe Penndot should redo I-76 from Exit 326-347 since this has heavy congestion in or out of Philadelphia, and they should consider putting HOV lanes in both the Westbound and Eastbound lanes since SEPTA buses use I-76 from King of Prussia up to 30th street station so a 8 lane I-76 might solve the congestion from exit 326-352. 
It probably would but given the way things currently are; we will probably not see that in our lifetime.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.