News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Dump Truck Makes highway gantry collapse in Norwalk, CT

Started by KEVIN_224, October 10, 2012, 04:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVIN_224

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cpzilliacus

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 10, 2012, 04:24:03 PM
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Highway-Sign-Collapses-on-Route-7-173548141.html

Looks like a dump truck had a little oopsie! :wow:

This is at the southern terminus of US Route 7 in Norwalk, CT.

I have often wondered why there's not more in-cab warning systems when the dump bed is raised.

Hope the  insurance on the  truck was paid-up - that's going to be pretty expensive to repair!
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 10, 2012, 07:45:20 PM

I have often wondered why there's not more in-cab warning systems when the dump bed is raised.

Hope the  insurance on the  truck was paid-up - that's going to be pretty expensive to repair!

I am figuring that, at some point, the operator just grew oblivious to Yet Another Idiot Light.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadman

I hope ConnDOT has the common sense to replace the signs and support without waiting to get the reimbursement check from the insurance company.  Recall those signs and support coming off the southbound Zakim Bridge in Boston that were also struck by a raised dump truck bed.  That was in 2007, and MassDOT STILL hasn't replaced them.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Duke87

Wonder if the new sign will still use Bridgeport as the northbound control point. This interchange is the only spot where it is used (as far as I'm aware, at least) - otherwise it's New Haven to the north and New York to the south.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

KEVIN_224

This is making me remember a sign which was taken down by a truck a couple of years ago. It was along I-84 West in either Vernon or Manchester. They simply replaced it with a small green sign on the shoulder. A portion of the tube gantry (minus the BGS) still stands there today.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 10, 2012, 08:12:51 PM

I am figuring that, at some point, the operator just grew oblivious to Yet Another Idiot Light.
It could also be a malfunction.  The truck obviously was able to drive beneath other overpasses and signs.  Sometimes, a wrong button is hit, or a malfunction occurs, and stuff like this happens.  At least it was only a sign support and not a bridge!

roadman

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 10, 2012, 10:13:28 PM
This is making me remember a sign which was taken down by a truck a couple of years ago. It was along I-84 West in either Vernon or Manchester. They simply replaced it with a small green sign on the shoulder. A portion of the tube gantry (minus the BGS) still stands there today.

That sign and support on I-84 in Manchester are to be replaced under a ConnDOT "spot replacement" project for various damaged signs and supports.

http://www.biznet.ct.gov/scp_search/BidDetail.aspx?CID=24139
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

SteveG1988

What is this, dump truck hitting stuff month?

First it was the dumptruck hitting the I-195 overpass on the NJ Turnpike, now this.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Alps

Quote from: SteveG1988 on October 11, 2012, 03:25:58 PM

First it was the dumptruck hitting the I-195 overpass on the NJ Turnpike, now this.
I say make a FB event page for it and try to get October designated as such.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

connroadgeek

Quote from: Duke87 on October 10, 2012, 09:35:08 PM
Wonder if the new sign will still use Bridgeport as the northbound control point. This interchange is the only spot where it is used (as far as I'm aware, at least) - otherwise it's New Haven to the north and New York to the south.

Bridgeport is also used (or was before the sign replacement project) at the Scribner Ave Norwalk on-ramp to I-95 N/B I believe. I think the sign that was struck was fairly new as it was part of the Route 7 sign replacement project that followed the lower Fairfield County I-95 sign replacement project. The Bridgeport sign looks OK for re-mounting anyway.

roadman65

We had one a few years back where one hit the FL 528 bridge over Orange Avenue in Orlando.  It was one of the construction vehicles working on the FL 528 at the time and caused his own company to be behind in finishing the project as well.  I bet he was fired on the spot!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Actually, the dump truck never hit the overpass.

The flames did, however.

roadman

Quote from: roadman65 on October 13, 2012, 07:10:30 PM

We had one a few years back where one hit the FL 528 bridge over Orange Avenue in Orlando.  It was one of the construction vehicles working on the FL 528 at the time and caused his own company to be behind in finishing the project as well.  I bet he was fired on the spot!

This periodically happens in Massachusetts on resurfacing projects.  The operator of the truck dumping the asphalt for the spreading machines forgets to lower the bed when it's empty and whacks a sign or bridge.  At least in those cases, the state knows who to bill for the damages.

southshore720

Quote from: roadman on October 10, 2012, 08:52:57 PM

I hope ConnDOT has the common sense to replace the signs and support without waiting to get the reimbursement check from the insurance company.  Recall those signs and support coming off the southbound Zakim Bridge in Boston that were also struck by a raised dump truck bed.  That was in 2007, and MassDOT STILL hasn't replaced them.

I hope so too, Roadman.  I hate it when fresh signage gets ruined!  Although I wonder if they are going to use the pipe gantry support or keep the box-style as they are starting to revert to (evidenced on the new New Haven renovations).

roadman

Quote from: southshore720 on October 16, 2012, 05:44:05 PM

I hope so too, Roadman.  I hate it when fresh signage gets ruined!  Although I wonder if they are going to use the pipe gantry support or keep the box-style as they are starting to revert to (evidenced on the new New Haven renovations).

Current support design policy (if CT actually has one) aside, and assuming the foundations and anchor bolts weren't damaged, it's likely that they will replace the box truss span with another truss instead of changing to a pipe support at this location.  Don't know how Connecticut's accident recovery program works, but in Massachusetts, the insurance companies are can be very strict about only paying for "in-kind" replacement when one of their clients damages or destroys state highway property.

I suspect the current CT "spot locations" support replacement project I mentioned in an earlier post is being funded through their accident reimbursement program, as every location calls for an "in-kind" replacement of the damaged support type instead of standardizing on one particular design for all the new supports.

Post revised 10/18 for clarity

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadman on October 17, 2012, 12:50:58 PM
in Massachusetts, the insurance companies are very strict about only paying for "in-kind" replacement when one of their clients damages or destroys state highway property.

I'm totally gonna put up an embossed, cateyed cutout route marker and knock it down...

"well, gee, looks like you guys are gonna need a replacement."
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

but in Massachusetts, the insurance companies are very strict about only paying for "in-kind" replacement when one of their clients damages or destroys state highway property.
How is that allowed?  If the sign damaged isn't MUTCD compliant, doesn't that place the insurance company in violation of federal law?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman

Quote from: deanej on October 18, 2012, 11:12:46 AM
but in Massachusetts, the insurance companies are very strict about only paying for "in-kind" replacement when one of their clients damages or destroys state highway property.
How is that allowed?  If the sign damaged isn't MUTCD compliant, doesn't that place the insurance company in violation of federal law?

Allow me to clarify.  In most cases, minor changes to meet current design standards are allowed, especially if what is being replaced is no longer available.  As the costs of a compliant sign versus a non-compliant one (say changing a damaged text sign to a new graphic one) are roughly the same, making the sign MUTCD compliant would be allowed, especially if it's a standard design available "off the shelf" from fabricators.  Likewise, replacing a damaged non-compliant guardrail end treatment with a compliant one would also usually be allowed.  What normally wouldn't be allowed would be replacing a collapsed truss sign support with a tubular one (greater expense, and trusses are still commonly available), or extending a guardrail run several hundred feet in addition to replacing the damaged end treatment.

Of course, that's not to say that MassDOT could decide to upgrade sign supports or guardrail runs in conjunction with repairing the accident damage.  It's just that any additional improvements would be on the state's dime, and couldn't be billed to the insurance company.  And, obviously, if updating the damaged hardware to current standards can be done at equal or lower cost than furnishing an "in kind" replacement, then there should be no issues with the changes.

However, in most cases I've been aware of, such instances of updating hardware because of accident damage rarely come up.

vdeane

Not covering additional improvements is fair.  I read your statement to mean they would be off the hook.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

wytout

Quote from: roadman on October 11, 2012, 12:45:55 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 10, 2012, 10:13:28 PM

That sign and support on I-84 in Manchester are to be replaced under a ConnDOT "spot replacement" project for various damaged signs and supports.

http://www.biznet.ct.gov/scp_search/BidDetail.aspx?CID=24139

That was replaced a week ago...  Funny that that sign had already been recently replaced when it was struck by a dump truck.  It already had a circa 2008 right aligned exit tab with no border.  The new sign has a border on the tab, a-la 2010 +

there must have been some damage to the concrete foundation of the pipe gantry, as the remaining pipe disappeared a month ago, and a new base was poured. 
-Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.