News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Southeast Connector Project (I-20/I-820/US 287, Fort Worth)

Started by radDFW, November 15, 2020, 09:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadsByArco

TxDOT recently released three videos showcasing animations for a project called the Southeast Connector. This project aims to reconstruct/improve several interchanges connecting I-820, I-20, and US 287 in southeast Fort Worth, as well as improving congestion by adding multiple lanes to all three freeways.

Project is to start in 2022 and complete construction in 2027. Cost is estimated to be $1.49 billion. (Source: Texas Clear Lanes)
You can read more about it here: https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/fort-worth/southeast-connector.html

A virtual public hearing was pre-recorded and uploaded to YouTube:

Personally, I'm excited for this project since I can't stand I-820 in it's current condition.

Changed thread title from "Southeast Connector Project" to "Southeast Connector Project (I-20/I-820/US 287, Fort Worth)" to make it clearer where it is located.  --J N Winkler

Plutonic Panda

I too I'm very excited for this project. It will be very exciting to drive it when it is complete.

MaxConcrete

This will be an amazing section of roadway, to rival the DFW connector. I had not seen those renderings.

My only concern about the design is the 7x7 multiplex of 287 and 820. The available connecting zone is short, and I'm afraid the weave/merge could cause traffic slowdowns. Ideally I think the 287 and 820 should have been kept separate and connected with ramps to prevent the merge/weave zone. I'm thinking/hoping that the percent of traffic connecting between the two sides is low enough to prevent problems.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Bobby5280

Hopefully while the Southeast Connector Project is underway TX DOT will also continue upgrading US-287 between I-20 and I-45 up to Interstate standards.

US-287 is a freeway from I-20 down through Mansfield, just short of the TX-360 interchange. From there it's a mix of brief freeway segments in Midlothian, Waxahachie bracketed by segments of 4-lane road with driveways and at-grade intersections. The whole thing really needs to be 100% limited access freeway only.

I think the US-287 upgrade project in Ennis is pretty much finished, save for the fact they need to overhaul at least one or more interchange ramps at I-45. The SB US-287 to NB I-45 cloverleaf ramp is a tight 35mph rated loop. Another short freeway upgrade project just East of Midlothian is in progress. However, the way those plans looked there will still be at least 2 or 3 at grade intersections between the Midlothian freeway segment and this new one.

motorola870

2022? This was supposed to start in 2021. I guess they don't seem to think it is high enough priority to start on time? This area has wrecks daily it It would have been nice to start it on time.

motorola870

Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 16, 2020, 05:48:16 PM
Hopefully while the Southeast Connector Project is underway TX DOT will also continue upgrading US-287 between I-20 and I-45 up to Interstate standards.

US-287 is a freeway from I-20 down through Mansfield, just short of the TX-360 interchange. From there it's a mix of brief freeway segments in Midlothian, Waxahachie bracketed by segments of 4-lane road with driveways and at-grade intersections. The whole thing really needs to be 100% limited access freeway only.

I think the US-287 upgrade project in Ennis is pretty much finished, save for the fact they need to overhaul at least one or more interchange ramps at I-45. The SB US-287 to NB I-45 cloverleaf ramp is a tight 35mph rated loop. Another short freeway upgrade project just East of Midlothian is in progress. However, the way those plans looked there will still be at least 2 or 3 at grade intersections between the Midlothian freeway segment and this new one.

It is already on the books to complete interstate grade enhancements from Arlington to Ennis. Problem is they still need to upgrade interchanges installed in the 1970s in Waxahachie. Business 287 entrance to Northbound US287 on the west side of the city is a yield on ramp with traffic going 60MPH. I drove the Arlington to Waxahachie section on Saturday they are making progress on the interchange at Walnut Grove/Plainview Road. They need to hurry up with full grade separation already getting more housing in the area and now they have what looks like a new neighborhood going in just west of the Midlothian bypass. I think before it is over with there will be a couple of signals just east of SH360. One at FM661 and another at Praire Ridge Bvld. I am surprised TXDOT did not even attempt to twin the St. Paul road interchange and keep the freeway going until right before FM661. Southbound 287 has a weird lane reduction on the TX360 overpass. Traffic must merge left on the bridge and continue on to the ramp that becomes the left land and the service road becomes the right light at St. Paul. Personally I would have installed a modern stack interchange at I35E as a part of the widening project. They have ROW to improve it having a modified clover interchange with service roads is eventually going to be an issue as population continues to grow in Ellis County. There has been discussions of modifying the elevated modified partial clover leaf in Midlothian with direct flyovers. I guess TXDOT finally realizing not including a direct connector for Northbound US67 from US287 was a bad idea. I personally have though that either closing the ramp to northbound US287 from BUS287 and making traffic turn right using the existing two-way that traffic heading for Southbound BUS287 uses as a way to eliminate that left entrance or rebuild the Sardis interchange and extend the ramp and have northbound traffic cross over and have the ramp enter from the right with a decent amount of distance to merge on.

motorola870

Fort Worth Star-Telegram trying to parrot an narrative this project is full of waste. Does the editorial staff even drive this corridor?

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/fort-worth/article247722970.html

The project is replacing outdated interchanges and bridges that are nearing end of life but according the telegram it is waste.

MaxConcrete

The recommended winning bidder for the Southeast connector was revealed at today's TxDOT meeting.

See agenda item 8
http://txdot.swagit.com/play/11302021-562

However, the PDF is not yet posted. (I'll update this when it is posted.)

Winner: South-Point Constructors, consisting of Kiewit and Austin Bridge & Road
Total Bid: $2,331,719,287
Bid for base project: $1,589,820,287
Bid for deferred work: $741,899,000

Only the base project is proceeding at this time. It appears that the project was far more expensive than TxDOT estimated, so TxDOT had to strip out the deferred work components to reduce the scope for the $1.6 billion in available funding.

As with other design-build awards, this bid process has dragged on for a very long time. The RFQ was issued in January 2020. The agenda item description reports that bids were received in May 2021 but all were rejected due to high price. It appears they have now removed 3 sections from the initial phase and labeled them as deferred work items. It's particularly unfortunate to have the section of IH 820 as a deferred work item. However, I expect that funding will soon be identified for that section.

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/division/debt/strategic-projects/alternative-delivery/seconnector/rfq.html

Even with the deferred work, it's exciting to get this project underway. This will be one of the most impressive sections of highway in North Texas when complete.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

motorola870

I noticed the other day that there is heavy machinery on the southern side of the freeway just east of the green oaks bvld. interchange and they have posted construction zone signs on I20 just east of U.S. 287 south split. Looks like they are getting ready to clear out the trees on the south side of the freeway to prep for an extension of the service road as part of the southeast connector project.

kernals12

Plutonic Panda

MaxConcrete

It looks like one of the deferred work components has been funded and is now listed as being under construction. The component is I-820 between US 287 and I-30, item 5a in the map. This is good news, because that section is in its original 2x2 configuration from its original construction in 1963.

See page 19
https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/commission/2023/0329/2a.pdf

Apparently funding became available, and since it was included in the scope of the design-build contract TxDOT was able to proceed immediately.

Deferred work components along I-20 and US287 remain listed as "Future Potential Projects" on page 20.

UPDATE (20230407): Here is a news report of the additional funding. The project now has $2.1 billion in funding
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/txdot-announces-new-expansion-to-widen-se-loop-i-820/3216141/

The Texas Department of Transportation has announced the expansion of the Southeast Connector Project which will now include Interstate 820 from Rosedale Street to Brentwood Stair Road.

The expansion will cover 2.5 miles to widen the SE Loop I-820 to eight mainlines. Frontage roads, bike lanes and sidewalks will be included to improve access for the public.

Funding for widening the segment comes from the North Central Texas Council of Governments and Proposition 1 revenues, which are generated from oil and gas severance fees.

Tarrant County drivers should expect construction to begin in late 2024 and be completed as early as 2028.

The Southeast Connector Project broke ground in November 2022 to rebuild and widen an estimated 14 miles of I-20, I-820 and US 287.

The project hopes to relieve congestion in southeast Tarrant County.

With the new addition, the total for Southeast Connector Project is $2.1 billion, making this the largest investment for infrastructure in history for TxDOT's Fort Worth District, according to the department.

The previous record was $1.6 billion for the initial Southeast Connector Project.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

motorola870

updates to this project:
Hartman Rd under I20 is closed until December 2023
Village Creek Rd bridge over US287 is being removed June 23rd to June 25th
Left exit to Mansfield Hwy (US 287 Busineses) from I20 westbound is permanently closed (will reopen as a right exit later on in construction)
Anglin Dr has a signalized intersection at I20 now and northbound traffic must loop back under UP RR bridge that I20 crosses to continue northbound.
I20 eastbound left lane closed from Anglin to Business 287.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.