News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Geography board?

Started by index, February 19, 2023, 07:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

It doesn't look like this has been proposed in this board since 2013 so it might be worth floating, although nobody has asked for one so it might not be. Nonetheless:

A lot of posts in Off-Topic are about geography or geography-adjacent topics (area codes, time zones, metro areas, population, town names, to name a few recent examples) and there is a significant overlap on this forum between people who are interested in both roads and people who are interested in geography, given the close nature of the two subjects. Establishing a geography board for these reasons follows the logic of the Urban Planning and Design board which so far has been welcome, although it is not the most active board. I feel it would also help more with sorting out more serious discussion from the fluff threads that are frequently posted in Off-Topic (not that I have a problem with those).

Even still, there are others such as Bridges, which are even more underutilized. Geography-related topics seem to be brought up much more frequently than topics which would go in either of those boards.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Scott5114

If you have a geography-related topic that isn't road related, the Travel forum is often a good place for it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Quote from: index on February 19, 2023, 07:05:16 PM
It doesn't look like this has been proposed in this board since 2013 so it might be worth floating, although nobody has asked for one so it might not be. Nonetheless:

A lot of posts in Off-Topic are about geography or geography-adjacent topics (area codes, time zones, metro areas, population, town names, to name a few recent examples) and there is a significant overlap on this forum between people who are interested in both roads and people who are interested in geography, given the close nature of the two subjects. Establishing a geography board for these reasons follows the logic of the Urban Planning and Design board which so far has been welcome, although it is not the most active board. I feel it would also help more with sorting out more serious discussion from the fluff threads that are frequently posted in Off-Topic (not that I have a problem with those).

Even still, there are others such as Bridges, which are even more underutilized. Geography-related topics seem to be brought up much more frequently than topics which would go in either of those boards.

Bridges are very much road related.

Urban Planning is pretty significantly based in roads and transit planning.

Time Zones and most geographic topics are not.

Personally...this is a roads forum, not an "off topic" forum. Random topics can be started but not necessarily be promoted as an entire subcategory.

index

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 19, 2023, 07:13:38 PM

Personally...this is a roads forum, not an "off topic" forum. Random topics can be started but not necessarily be promoted as an entire subcategory.

I can see why it would not be that good as a freestanding board. Come to think of it, it would probably make more sense to include it as a child board of Off-Topic if it was to become a thing.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Roadgeekteen

Sort of unrelated question. If one wanted to post a thread about railway bridges or pedestrian bridges, would it go in the bridges forum?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 19, 2023, 07:29:41 PM
Sort of unrelated question. If one wanted to post a thread about railway bridges or pedestrian bridges, would it go in the bridges forum?

Either that or Transit, or possibly Urban Planning and Design, depending on the specifics.

As for the original subject, I would actually support a Geography board because it would mean less posts in the Off-Topic board. It was pointed out recently (and I would corroborate) that Off Topic has been trending towards becoming the busiest board on the forum, which makes me a bit sad. It's at least partly due to a few users making a lot of posts there, less activity in General Highway Talk from some forum regulars who haven't been as active, and users' interests shifting over time. But it is worth considering whether Off-Topic is a bit too broad and whether some tangentially-related discussions could be moved to another board. And to the OP's credit, "Geography" is certainly the best suggestion I've seen so far for what that board could be that would encompass a good portion of the current Off-Topic content.

MATraveler128

As a geography nerd myself, I support this idea. I do agree that the Off Topic board feels too cluttered.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Scott5114

It doesn't help that people will post things that are highway or travel related in Off-Topic for reasons that escape me. It feels like I move threads from Off-Topic to other boards far more often than the reverse.

webny99

People do seem to forget about the Travel board more often than other boards, maybe because it's not visible when logged out, and also has more crossover with Off-Topic.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on February 19, 2023, 09:45:30 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 19, 2023, 07:29:41 PM

Either that or Transit, or possibly Urban Planning and Design, depending on the specifics.

As for the original subject, I would actually support a Geography board because it would mean less posts in the Off-Topic board. It was pointed out recently (and I would corroborate) that Off Topic has been trending towards becoming the busiest board on the forum, which makes me a bit sad. It's at least partly due to a few users making a lot of posts there, less activity in General Highway Talk from some forum regulars who haven't been as active, and users' interests shifting over time. But it is worth considering whether Off-Topic is a bit too broad and whether some tangentially-related discussions could be moved to another board. And to the OP's credit, "Geography" is certainly the best suggestion I've seen so far for what that board could be that would encompass a good portion of the current Off-Topic content.
It does seem like AARoads has turned from a forum where we talk about roads to a forum where people interested in roads talk about anything, often related to some sort of geography or transportation. Most everyone on this forum is a roadgeek, we just talk about other stuff as well.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hbelkins

An interest in geography seems to be a natural offshoot of an interest in roads, but I don't know that a separate board is necessary. A case could also be made for a cartography board to discuss maps, but those discussions find their way into niches on other boards so geography can as well.

At least we'd have a specific place to discuss the flatness of Illinois if a geography board was created.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 19, 2023, 07:13:38 PM

We have sports and weather as boards. Neither has anything to do with roads.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 19, 2023, 07:10:16 PM
If you have a geography-related topic that isn't road related, the Travel forum is often a good place for it.

I propose that Geography Topics be a subforum under Travel. Plenty of discussion about geographic topics not related to travel per se.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 20, 2023, 02:21:04 PM

I propose that Geography Topics be a subforum under Travel. Plenty of discussion about geographic topics not related to travel per se.
I'm wondering, would the guess the state/country games go into Geography if it was created? I put those games in travel as they aren't road related but I didn't want to put them in off topic.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 20, 2023, 02:27:47 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 20, 2023, 02:21:04 PM

I'm wondering, would the guess the state/country games go into Geography if it was created? I put those games in travel as they aren't road related but I didn't want to put them in off topic.

That would be my vote.

Scott5114

If we were to add a Geography board, which board would you guys want to get rid of?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 20, 2023, 05:58:13 PM
If we were to add a Geography board, which board would you guys want to get rid of?
Travel Mapping hasn't been posted on since 2016 so probably that one. Besides that, Welcome probably has the least value.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 20, 2023, 08:21:28 PM
Travel Mapping hasn't been posted on since 2016 so probably that one. Besides that, Welcome probably has the least value.

The TM threads could be moved to the General Highway talk board.

Rothman

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 21, 2023, 07:05:52 AM

Why move inactive threads into the General Highway Talk board?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on February 21, 2023, 07:09:05 AM

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 21, 2023, 07:05:52 AM

Why move inactive threads into the General Highway Talk board?
To archive the threads so we can delete the board.

JoePCool14

Why does the TM board need to be removed? That defeats the point of separating those threads.

It's an archived board, so having it stick around isn't harming anyone.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 21, 2023, 09:35:46 AM
Why does the TM board need to be removed? That defeats the point of separating those threads.

Scott asked what board I would get rid of.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 21, 2023, 09:36:30 AM

I saw. I just don't see the need to "remove" a board just to add another one.

Why not just rename Travel to "Travel and Geography"?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

vdeane

Didn't we just remove the dedicated Ohio Valley board, too?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 21, 2023, 10:03:24 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 21, 2023, 09:36:30 AM

I saw. I just don't see the need to "remove" a board just to add another one.

Why not just rename Travel to "Travel and Geography"?

I don't see the need to remove a board either but I'm not an admin and Scott is so I'm guessing he has a reason.

I still like Geography as a subforum under travel, so those who only post in one but not the other don't have to wade through one huge forum to find what they're looking for.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.