News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US-77 in Central Texas

Started by jgb191, May 20, 2024, 05:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgb191

I'm not sure if this has even been talked about or even speculated, but I'm wondering if anybody agrees with upgrading the section of US-77 from Victoria to Waco to a four-lane divided highway (but not necessarily to Interstate standards).  Currently, it is already paralleling I-35 in North Texas, and being upgraded to I-69 in South Texas.  How about the possibility of a four-lane divided highway in Central Texas for an improved connection between the North and South?  How many of the towns along the way would need a bypass route around them (Giddings, Schulenburg, Hallettsville, Cameron)?  This would give drivers from South Texas (Corpus Christi/RGV) shorter driving distance to North Texas (Dallas/Ft. Worth).

We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Anthony_JK

Quote from: jgb191 on May 20, 2024, 05:57:10 PMI'm not sure if this has even been talked about or even speculated, but I'm wondering if anybody agrees with upgrading the section of US-77 from Victoria to Waco to a four-lane divided highway (but not necessarily to Interstate standards).  Currently, it is already paralleling I-35 in North Texas, and being upgraded to I-69 in South Texas.  How about the possibility of a four-lane divided highway in Central Texas for an improved connection between the North and South?  How many of the towns along the way would need a bypass route around them (Giddings, Schulenburg, Hallettsville, Cameron)?  This would give drivers from South Texas (Corpus Christi/RGV) shorter driving distance to North Texas (Dallas/Ft. Worth).
Another means for long-range traffic to bypass the madness of I-35 through SA, Austin, and Belton/Waco?? I'm all for it.

moto g power (2022)

MaxConcrete

That section of US 77 is part of the Texas Trunk System. All highways in the trunk system are planned for upgrade to four-lane divided, eventually.

See page 3

However, US 77 is not addressed specifically in the presentation, so it appears to be a low priority item.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Anthony_JK

Quote from: NE2 on May 20, 2024, 11:54:59 PMFictional
Not really, since it is in TXDOT's plans.

moto g power (2022)

bwana39

Quote from: Anthony_JK on May 20, 2024, 06:04:35 PM
Quote from: jgb191 on May 20, 2024, 05:57:10 PMI'm not sure if this has even been talked about or even speculated, but I'm wondering if anybody agrees with upgrading the section of US-77 from Victoria to Waco to a four-lane divided highway (but not necessarily to Interstate standards).  Currently, it is already paralleling I-35 in North Texas, and being upgraded to I-69 in South Texas.  How about the possibility of a four-lane divided highway in Central Texas for an improved connection between the North and South?  How many of the towns along the way would need a bypass route around them (Giddings, Schulenburg, Hallettsville, Cameron)?  This would give drivers from South Texas (Corpus Christi/RGV) shorter driving distance to North Texas (Dallas/Ft. Worth).
Another means for long-range traffic to bypass the madness of I-35 through SA, Austin, and Belton/Waco?? I'm all for it.

moto g power (2022)

That does miss San Antonio which an improved US-281 does not. An outer belt around the west side of San Antonio coupled with US-281 could do about the same though.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Road Hog

US 287 is nowhere to be found on that graphic.

bwana39

Quote from: Road Hog on May 21, 2024, 09:11:17 PMUS 287 is nowhere to be found on that graphic.

Where did 287 come from?
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

debragga

Quote from: Road Hog on May 21, 2024, 09:11:17 PMUS 287 is nowhere to be found on that graphic.

The Texas Trunk System graphic? It's on there

Urban Prairie Schooner

I guess it is lower priority considering an all freeway Waco-Corpus Christi connection can be made via I-35/TX 130/I-37.

jgb191

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on June 23, 2024, 12:39:09 PMI guess it is lower priority considering an all freeway Waco-Corpus Christi connection can be made via I-35/TX 130/I-37.

I would also guess it is a lower priority unfortunately, but this would provide an additional free major route between South and North and another route for hurricane evacuations.  And it's not just between Corpus Christi and Waco, but also the RGV Metro areas and the DFW Metroplex that would avoid the major freeways along the way (Austin/San Antonio or Houston).

I have also heard propositions of upgrading US-183 between Refugio and Austin to four lanes, but you'd have to drive through Austin; or take TX-130 around Austin but you'd have to pay several dollars to steer clear of the city.  Bypasses along US-183 would include around the towns of Goliad, Cuero, Luling, and Lockhart.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.