News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mgk920 on July 10, 2024, 09:18:05 AM
Quote from: JREwing78 on July 10, 2024, 02:07:07 AM2030 was the date anticipated to build the freeway-to-freeway flyover ramps at Verona Rd, but I wouldn't hold your breath. With WisDOT gearing up for the I-94 rebuild in Milwaukee, and no highway tax bump in 15 years, I wouldn't expect a lot of non-maintenance construction elsewhere.

The I-94 Milwaukee east-west rebuild starts next year, but I am anticipating no freeway upgrades in the Madison area until at least 2030 (after the I-41 'big shovel' work from Appleton to De Pere is complete).

Direct 'fly under' ramps for the US 18/151 turns at Verona Rd have been discussed at the official level by WisDOT for a couple of decades now, always vociferously objected to by the old line 'anti-car' forces in Madison.  :no:   Eventually, they will have to be done.

Mike

The free flowing interchange was identified as the preferred alternative in the original study and included in the EIS here.

https://projects.511wi.gov/veronard/wp-content/uploads/sites/143/feis-es.pdf

And while yes there were clear anti-car concerns, I think the main reason why this got spread out over so many years was due to cost more than anything.

thspfc

Fixing the rest of the Beltline will be more value for money than building a royal castle of an interchange at Verona Rd. Get rid of the Seminole and Todd interchanges. Merge the John Nolen and Rimrock interchanges into one, or if that's not feasible just get rid of Rimrock too. And please, an interchange at CTH-K.

The Ghostbuster

Those hoping for improvements on the Beltline may be in for a long wait. According to this PDF, while NEPA studies will begin this decade for the US 14/University Ave.-to-Whitney Wy. segment, the NEPA studies for the Whitney Wy-to-Interstates 39/90 segment won't happen until the 2030s: https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/projects/by-region/sw/madisonbeltline/524nepa.pdf. While the former may see construction in the 2030s, it may be at least the 2040s before construction on the latter begins. The remaining Beltline Study PDFs from the May 28th/29th PIMS can be located here: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/sw/madisonbeltline/public.aspx.

peterj920

I just drove on a resurfaced Wis 16 Oconomowoc Bypass which features white then black stripes even on asphalt. The Wis 15 Hortonville Bypass was striped the same way but the black stands out way more since that was on concrete. However, I-43 is being striped with the white/black outline stripes. Will the new longer white/black stripes be used on new projects after I-43?

triplemultiplex

I haven't been over that way in a while, so I was surprised to see US 10 and US 45 aren't posted for 70 mph NW and west of Oshkosh/Appleton.  Pretty glaring omission, in my opinion.
If US 14 between Oregon and Madison is good enough for 70 than surely these freeways are.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

peterj920

Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 16, 2024, 03:35:10 PMI haven't been over that way in a while, so I was surprised to see US 10 and US 45 aren't posted for 70 mph NW and west of Oshkosh/Appleton.  Pretty glaring omission, in my opinion.
If US 14 between Oregon and Madison is good enough for 70 than surely these freeways are.

The only thing I can think of is that the North Central Region doesn't want non-interstates to be signed at 70mph. Every region has a 70 mph non-interstate freeway except the North Central Region. Wis 29 east of Wausau and US 51 north of I-39 to Merrill could be 70 mph but isn't.

In the Northeast region, Wis 57 and Wis 29 are 70 mph in the Green Bay Area and the Wis 29 70 mph zone was just extended to Wis 32. The only thing I can think of is that the freeway section of US 10 enters Waupaca County and the North Central Region didn't want to make US 10 70 mph so the Northeast Region left US 10/US 45 in Winnebago County at 65 mph because of it.

mgk920

Interesting, WisDOT just dug out, removed and paved over the Weigh In Motion scales that they installed on I-41 at the north end of the Oshkosh Causeway when they upgraded the highway to six lanes in the early 2010s.

Mike

mgk920

Quote from: mgk920 on July 22, 2024, 07:46:33 PMInteresting, WisDOT just dug out, removed and paved over the Weigh In Motion scales that they installed on I-41 at the north end of the Oshkosh Causeway when they upgraded the highway to six lanes in the early 2010s.

A quick update, the scales in the far right lanes in both directions (leading to and from US 45 to the northwest) were retained.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.