News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: RestrictOnTheHanger on October 30, 2017, 05:51:57 PM
On these new signs, what exactly are the fonts being used? These were installed recently on the southbound FDR. Did region 11 put them up, or was it NYCDOT?

Pics were taken this morning

I want to say that's E regular.

machias

Quote from: Alps on October 30, 2017, 07:37:35 PM
On these new signs, what exactly are the fonts being used? These were installed recently on the southbound FDR. Did region 11 put them up, or was it NYCDOT?

The stroke is too wide for E regular. It's Series E modified but the spacing between the letters is a little off. Something is out of proportion. This is E regular (as confirmed with Region 4 a few years ago).

storm2k

Quote from: upstatenyroads on October 30, 2017, 10:46:11 PM
Quote from: Alps on October 30, 2017, 07:37:35 PM

The stroke is too wide for E regular. It's Series E modified but the spacing between the letters is a little off. Something is out of proportion. This is E regular (as confirmed with Region 4 a few years ago).

It strikes me as something they stretched in a non-proportional way. It just feels... off.

Alps

Compared to that E regular, it MIGHT be Series D. What it really looks like is the default GuidSign font, which does something strange to the lower-case s.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Duke87 on October 30, 2017, 12:12:11 PM
It's always struck me as odd that those ramps were actually opened to traffic in the first place. 25 is not a divided highway so there's no real need for the "Jersey U-turn" there.
It is here and at the interchange with NY 106 and 107. With the exception of the Caleb Smith State Park Preserve and the Smithtown area, it ought to be one as far east as Riverhead.

Also it was stupid for the Town of Oyster Bay to allow the "Eagle Rock Apartments at Woodbury" to be built on the site where the west to north ramp should've been built.

RestrictOnTheHanger

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 31, 2017, 01:28:12 AM
It's always struck me as odd that those ramps were actually opened to traffic in the first place. 25 is not a divided highway so there's no real need for the "Jersey U-turn" there.
It is here and at the interchange with NY 106 and 107. With the exception of the Caleb Smith State Park Preserve and the Smithtown area, it ought to be one as far east as Riverhead.

Also it was stupid for the Town of Oyster Bay to allow the "Eagle Rock Apartments at Woodbury" to be built on the site where the west to north ramp should've been built.

The stretch by the park in Smithtown should be divided ... even with the safety improvements that stretch is still dangerous.

seicer

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 29, 2017, 02:05:09 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 04, 2017, 08:24:34 PM
Just give me more reasons to hate the state I was born in, and life in general, Cuomo!
Well, he just gave me another one.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/dot-lane-closures-for-jericho-turnpike-route-135-interchange-1.14650876

:banghead:

Can we get a big eye roll for you? If this is what it takes to get you "triggered"...

J N Winkler

Having a go at typeface identification:

Series E Modified with reduced intercharacter spacing.

Series D.  In regard to Steve's comment, I don't think this is just the GuidSIGN version of Series D.  I think it is straight-up FHWA 2000 Series D as used in the current editions of the MUTCD and Standard Highway Signs.  Those fonts were produced on FHWA's behalf by URW.  Compare with the mixed-case guide sign drawings in the 2012 SHS supplement, which also use mixed-case Series D (especially the D1 example with placenames "Rochester" and "Lockport").
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

seicer

After traveling many of the same routes as described in a much earlier post - and then some, I've concluded that New York simply does not maintain its guardrails with any frequency - especially in comparison to other states. Some of the earlier guardrail rot, where the posts are simply disconnected from the rail itself, are very much prevalent in Corten and regular galvanized steel sections - 7 months after I initially complained about them.

It's gotten to the point that I am marking them on my GPS and relaying them to the local district but I have yet to receive a reply.

After driving I-86/NY 17 considerably, I've been noticing that many of the center guardrails have not been maintained, even after they have long been hit.

Is this something that I should continue to relay over to the local districts?

cl94

Quote from: seicer on October 31, 2017, 02:24:04 PM
After traveling many of the same routes as described in a much earlier post - and then some, I've concluded that New York simply does not maintain its guardrails with any frequency - especially in comparison to other states. Some of the earlier guardrail rot, where the posts are simply disconnected from the rail itself, are very much prevalent in Corten and regular galvanized steel sections - 7 months after I initially complained about them.

It's gotten to the point that I am marking them on my GPS and relaying them to the local district but I have yet to receive a reply.

After driving I-86/NY 17 considerably, I've been noticing that many of the center guardrails have not been maintained, even after they have long been hit.

Yes, because they're usually pretty good at doing repairs. There's often a temporary barrier or cones in front within 24 hours. I've seen a few of the residencies do repairs within a week.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kkt

Quote from: seicer on October 31, 2017, 02:24:04 PM

Registered letter to the district attorney.  If there's an accident and someone is hurt by it, they'll have a hard time claiming ignorance of the situation.

D-Dey65

Quote from: RestrictOnTheHanger on October 31, 2017, 08:27:32 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 31, 2017, 01:28:12 AM

The stretch by the park in Smithtown should be divided ... even with the safety improvements that stretch is still dangerous.
Come to think of it, west of Brooksite Drive and Edgewood Avenue, and east of NY 111 and the NY 25A overlap would work just fine. I know there are a lot of historic structures on the north side of Route 25 east of NY 25A/111, so the focus of the construction should be on the south side of the road.

roadman65

Hey what is up with the latest name for the Robert Moses Parkway in Niagara County?  I thought Googlemaps made a mistake but Wikipedia confirms that in a few years back NYSDOT renamed the parkway (once freeway now super two) that was named for the famous city planner of NYC, to the Niagara River Scenic Parkway.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Robert Moses is a racist rear mime.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: roadman65 on November 07, 2017, 07:52:37 PM
Hey what is up with the latest name for the Robert Moses Parkway in Niagara County?  I thought Googlemaps made a mistake but Wikipedia confirms that in a few years back NYSDOT renamed the parkway (once freeway now super two) that was named for the famous city planner of NYC, to the Niagara River Scenic Parkway.

It's the Niagara Scenic Parkway completely now, except for one sign in Joseph Davis State Park.

Cuomo and the area wanted the name gone because they felt it did no justice. Besides, at the rate things are going, there isn't much of a parkway left.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

roadman65

Somehow I knew Cuomo was behind it. 

Yes as the part near the American Falls was the first when it was closed and then later demolished and of course the making of a super two as the SB lanes closed since.  I believe they tried to make a jogging and biking trail out of the former SB side, but have not been there since I was a kid.  Been to the Falls but twice I went to the Canadian side as that side is more lively as NY's side is pretty lame even when my parents took me there.

Sheryl Crowe

cl94

The name was also quite unpopular in the Buffalo area. Few things Buffalonians hate more than having something there named after someone from New York City.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

seicer

The Robert Moses Parkway is partly the reason why Niagara Falls was disconnected from its namesake park - and the rest of its riverfront. It's removal and replacement with a linear park and bike/hike trail is more than long overdue.

Robert Moses has become quite unpopular anywhere. He's a pretty well known racist.

Roadgeek Adam

It's not overdue and the problem is it's just going to die at Devil's Hole. A good regional biking trail would involve in Lewiston as well. However, that won't happen
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on November 08, 2017, 04:52:54 PM
It's not overdue and the problem is it's just going to die at Devil's Hole. A good regional biking trail would involve in Lewiston as well. However, that won't happen
RMSP really never needed to be built in the first place. Unless it was going to connect with LOSP, it just wouldn't have any sort of volume using it to justify there being a parkway.

roadman65

Quote from: seicer on November 08, 2017, 04:21:57 PM
The Robert Moses Parkway is partly the reason why Niagara Falls was disconnected from its namesake park - and the rest of its riverfront. It's removal and replacement with a linear park and bike/hike trail is more than long overdue.

Robert Moses has become quite unpopular anywhere. He's a pretty well known racist.
When I went there in the 70's as a kid, the road was closed in the park, but we walked to the observation deck via a foot bridge that no longer exists.

Yes in many places where a road severs a park it has become an issue to either remove it or cover it with a cut and cover.   

The problem is the Parkway there went nowhere.  It was just a freeway acting as a park road and you could not park along it.

I was not aware that Moses was unpopular as from what the old timers said he was a good man along with LaGuardia.  However, the old timers are gone and its the new generation taking over and if Obama can revert Mt. McKinley back to its original name, anything else could revert too. 

Side note.  Not saying that Obama was right or if he was wrong, just to say we live in a new world than the glorious 80's was.  The Baby Boomers run the world now and time moves forward.  New generations have  had different ideas since the cavemen era.

To me I could care less about the name, but it was just curious for me to know why a man who I was misinformed about being great was removed from the public eye.

Sheryl Crowe

seicer

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on November 08, 2017, 04:52:54 PM

Not long overdue? The parkway was being studied for decommissioning in large segments as early as the 1970's. It wasn't well used when it was built, nor was it justified in its expense.

@Roadman65: Revising history has always happened. The name, Mt. McKinley, is only recent. It was historically referred to as Denali by the Koyukon people for centuries. It was only named Mt. McKinkley by a gold prospector in 1896 - to gain support of the president. The state changed the name of the mountain back to Denali back in 1975 - and the federal government finally changed it in 2015.

Moses was looked upon decades ago because he was successful in building parkways and expressways - and in building public housing projects that have had questionable success. His racism and xenophobia (among other things) was only more recently brought out. If you get a chance, read the Power Broker.

Buffaboy

Racist yes. That was an ingenious and xenophobic decision to lower bridges in an attempt to prevent city folk (black people) from taking the bus. One could argue it was to prevent commercial traffic, but given his other projects that argument is invalid.

Switching gears, Walden Avenue around Anderson Road is starting to look sharp. The new pole signals are in, and the FYA for northbound Anderson (I think) is on. However, I just wish the street blades were mounted horizontally on the top of the mast, something that seems to be rare in the suburbs.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

roadman65

That Parkway should really be an at grade arterial being (like you said) back in the 70's it never got to be used like planned.   Just as the Sheridan in the Bronx never got to be what it was intended (ironically planned by Moses) so its a highway also that is too big got its traffic as well.

Sheryl Crowe

cl94

It's plan day at NYSDOT. While most of the projects are relatively run-of-the-mill, NY 481 is getting a superstreet at Oswego CR 45 in Volney. Plans are here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.