News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roads Underneath Airport Runways and/or Taxiways

Started by formulanone, September 17, 2019, 05:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Started a list of publicly-accessible roads which go under airport runways/taxiways. This excludes those which require special access privileges, FAA clearance, some of which don't have any name or never directly leave the airport. Roads range from interstate highways, US Routes, state roads, and others are just locally-named roads. As usual, they may be closed and you may be subject to potential nonsense.

I listed them alphabetical by airport codes, because not all airports begin with city/region name. (Some names less official than others, for brevity.)

Code Airport Name Road(s) Notes
AGCAllegheny County AirportPA 885 / Lebanon RoadRunway 10-28, parallel railway tunnel
ADSAddison Airport (north of Dallas, TX)Keller Springs Road/Addison Airport TunnelNTTA Toll Authority
ATLAtlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International AirportI-2852009-2010, southernmost runway 10-28
BECBeech Factory Airport (Wichita)Central AvenueRunway 1-19 (aircraft factory)
BFLMeadows Field Airport (Bakersfield)Merle Haggard WayRunway 12L-30R. (Why isn't the airport Bakers Field?)
BIVWest Michigan Regional AirportWashington AvenueRunway 8-26
BNANashville International AirportUS 70S, TN 255US 70S: runway 2C-20C; TN 255: taxiway to 2R-20L
BUFBuffalo Niagara International AirportAero DriveUnderneath runway 5-23
CMHJohn Glenn Columbus International AirportInternational GatewayTerminal entry/exit under taxiways
CVGCincinnati Northern Kentucky International AirportKY 20Under threshold of runway 18L-36R
DFWDallas Fort-Worth International AirportInternational Parkway, Airfield DriveAirfield Drive is four lanes; shunpike of SS 97
DTWDetroit Wayne County Metropolitan AirportJohn Dingell DriveTerminal entry/exit under taxiways
GSOPiedmont Triad Airport (Greensboro, NC)Ted Johnson ParkwayEntry/exit under taxiways
FLLFort Lauderdale-Hollywood International AirportUS 1Opened 2015, under new runway
HGRHagerstown Regional AirportUS 11Smallest commercial airport with this feature?
IAHHouston Intercontinental AirportWill Clayton ParkwayTerminal entry/exit under taxiways
JFKJohn F. Kennedy International AirportI-678Underneath taxiways
JHWChautauqua County Jamestown AirportCR 120: W. Oak Hill RoadUnder runway 7-25 threshold
KTNKetchikan International AirportLewis Reef RdRunway 11-29, or take a ferry
LASMcCarran International Airport (Las Vegas)Paradise Road/Airport ConnectorUnder runway 8R-26L
LAXLos Angeles International AirportCA 1, World Way WestSepulveda Blvd under runway, World Way West for taxiway
LITBill and Hillary Clinton National Airport (Little Rock)  Airport/Temple RoadLocal cargo road under taxiways
LGBLong Beach AirportCA 19, Spring StreetBoth under runway 12-30
MCOOrlando International AirportJeff Fuqua Blvd, Heintzelman BlvdTerminal entry/exit under taxiways
MEMMemphis International AirportWinchester RoadUnder taxiways
MKEGeneral Mitchell International Airport (Milwaukee)Howell RoadRunway 7R-25L
NGUNaval Station NorfolkI-564Naval Air Station, non-commercial
OAKOakland International AirportRon Cowan ParkwayTaxiway to runways 10L-28R and 10R-28L
ORDChicago O'Hare International AirportI-190Under taxiways
PAEPaine Field /Snohomish County AirportWA 526Under assembly line "taxiway"
PHLPhiladelphia International AirportFort Mifflin RoadRunway 8-26
PHXPhoenix Sky Harbor International AirportSky Harbor BoulevardUnderneath taxiway for runways 25R-7L and 26-8
RDURaleigh Durham International AirportAirport Blvd, International DriveTerminal/cargo entrances, under taxiways
ROARoanoke-Blacksburg Regional AirportVA 118Runway 6-24
ROCRochester International AirportEastside WayUnder runway 10-28 threshold
SEASeattle-Tacoma International AirportS. 188th StreetUnder south part of runway 16L-34R
SNLShawnee Regional Airport (Oklahoma)W. McArthur StreetRunway 17-35
STLSt. Louis Lambert International AirportUS 67Underneath runway 11-29
TIWTacoma Narrows AirportStone DriveUnderneath threshold of runway 17-35
TPATampa International AirportGeorge Bean ParkwayTerminal entry/exit under taxiways

Outside the USA:

Code Airport Name Road(s) Notes
AMSAmsterdam Airport SchipholA4 and A5 motorwaysA4 under runway 9-27, A5 under taxiway
ARNStockholm Arlanda AirportSwedish county road (länsväg) 273Taxiway runways 01L-19R / 01R-19L, browse a 747 nearby
CGKSoekarno—Hatta International Airport (Indonesia)Prof. Soedijatmo / Airport Toll RoadUnderneath taxiways, loops back again
CPHCopenhagen International Airport (Denmark)221 EnglandvejUnder runway 4L-22R
GIBGibraltar International AirportWinston Churchill Way* Actually crosses the runway, gate-controlled.
HHQHua Hin AirportPhet Kasem Road / Thailand Route 4Under sole runway 16-34
HNDTokyo International Airport (Haneda)Bay Shore RouteRunway 04/22 and Taxiway for 34L to 34R
LHRHeathrow Airport (London)Tunnel RoadRunway 9L-27R
MADAdolfo Suarez Madrid Barajas AirportM-111Underneath 14R-32L, 14L-32R, and Terminal 4S
MUCMunich International AirportZentralleeSplits into two routes underneath taxiways
NRTNarita International AirportHigashi-dori, National Route 51, and Chiba Prefecture Route 44Under main taxiway, terminal 1, and 16L/34R (Because, Tokyo.)
PEKBeijing Capital International AirportS12 - Airport ExpresswayUnder taxiway for runways 18L-36R and 18R-36L
SINSingapore Changi AirportAirport BoulevardMain road to terminals, underneath taxiways
TPETaiwan Taoyuan International AirportHangzhan N/S RoadAirport access roads under taxiway
TSATaipei Songshan AirportFuxing North RoadUnder runway 10/28
YYCCalgary International AirportAirport TrailUnder runway 17L-35R

formulanone

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 17, 2019, 05:15:48 PM
US 67- Lindbergh Boulevard going under Lambert-Saint Louis International Airport, Missouri.

Just added it, thanks.

(You don't have to delete your post next time.)

ozarkman417

US 67/Lindbergh Boulevard going under Lambert-Saint Louis International Airport, Missouri under runway 11-29 and it's parallel taxiways.

marleythedog

Columbus John Glenn - terminal entrance/exit goes under a taxiway

formulanone

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

oscar

KTN -- Ketchikan (AK) International Airport, Lewis Reef Rd. (connection from the terminal to the Gravina Island Highway)

Not quite qualifying;

DUT -- Tom Madsen (Unalaska) Airport, one end of runway crosses Airport Beach Road, which has gates to close it to cross traffic when a plane needs to use all of the short runway

CBA4 -- Midway Lake (NT) airport, aircraft (no scheduled flights) use a specially-straightened and widened segment of the Dempster Highway for takeoffs and landings
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

formulanone

Quote from: epzik8 on September 17, 2019, 05:37:17 PM
You included Hagerstown!

Was just there last week and that got me thinking...if there's an even "smaller" airport with a tunnel under the runway/taxiway.

Quote from: oscar on September 17, 2019, 05:38:28 PM
KTN -- Ketchikan (AK) International Airport, Lewis Reef Rd. (connection from the terminal to the Gravina Island Highway)

Will include it, thanks.

Might have to include an Off-topic thread for Airports Accessible by Ferry...

Not quite qualifying;

DUT -- Tom Madsen (Unalaska) Airport, one end of runway crosses Airport Beach Road, which has gates to close it to cross traffic when a plane needs to use all of the short runway

CBA4 -- Midway Lake (NT) airport, aircraft (no scheduled flights) use a specially-straightened and widened segment of the Dempster Highway for takeoffs and landings

Reminds me of Gibraltar International Airport (GIB) - the road crosses the runway directly.

1995hoo

LHR–the tunnel connecting the former Concorde Roundabout to Terminals 1, 2, and 3 runs under the north runway.

https://goo.gl/maps/f1xya6bXxh5WeRg38
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

steviep24

Not sure if this would count.

At Greater Rochester International Airport (ROC) a pair of tunnels is at the east end of runway 10/28. One for Eastside Way (A public road for access to the airport's main terminal and the other for a service road not accessible to the public.

Satellite view: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1240803,-77.6539566,543m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&authuser=0

Google Street View: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1225218,-77.6515521,3a,75y,332.78h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZTBM1-W9Dz23XF09TTnReA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 17, 2019, 05:47:17 PM
LHR–the tunnel connecting the former Concorde Roundabout to Terminals 1, 2, and 3 runs under the north runway.

https://goo.gl/maps/f1xya6bXxh5WeRg38

Got it, thanks.

Quote from: steviep24 on September 17, 2019, 05:49:05 PM
Not sure if this would count.

At Greater Rochester International Airport (ROC) a pair of tunnels is at the east end of runway 10/28. One for Eastside Way (A public road for access to the airport's main terminal and the other for a service road not accessible to the public.

Just misses it, but I suppose it's planning for the future.

HTM Duke

VA-118 runs under the northeast end of runway 06/24 at Roanoke Blacksburg Regional Airport (ROA):

Satellite: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3322483,-79.9687822,1420m/data=!3m1!1e3
Streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/zzGnH112c95BQuF16
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

pianocello

In addition to Jeff Fuqua Blvd in Orlando, there's another road to the east called Heintzelman Blvd that passes under some taxiways. https://www.google.com/maps/@28.4366906,-81.2884781,16.88z

Also, I can confirm that I-190 in Chicago is still signed as an Interstate.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Big John

MKE, WI 38/S. Howell Ave runs under a runway/taxiway.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Duke87

Can confirm that both I-190 at ORD and I-678 at JFK extend underneath the taxiways. Both interstates end at the central terminal area of the respective airport.

This also feeds into another curious little bit of trivia - there are only three airports in the country that have an interstate highway ending directly at the terminal area. JFK and ORD are two of them. The third is... BWI.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

formulanone

Included MKE, ROA, and JHW - the last one is like ROC, they're close enough that they're definitely on the runway embankment, but on the "threshold", so I included them with notations.

Quote from: Duke87 on September 17, 2019, 07:07:36 PM
Can confirm that both I-190 at ORD and I-678 at JFK extend underneath the taxiways. Both interstates end at the central terminal area of the respective airport.

Ah, I always figured the signage on both of those was more for a matter of convenience. Always wondered where I-678 truly begins and ends; do all those access roads count as unlabeled "exits" so it can be a true loop?

roadman65

I do not see Nashville in the list.  I remember driving under one of its taxiways in 1990.

Edit: My bad, I did not see it near the top as N comes after M usually in the alphabet.

Denver used to do so before it was relocated.  I-70 crossed under a runway there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Quote from: roadman65 on September 17, 2019, 07:43:49 PM
I do not see Nashville in the list.  I remember driving under one of its taxiways in 1990.

Edit: My bad, I did not see it near the top as N comes after M usually in the alphabet.

I went alphabetical by airport code, as some of the full airport names don't start with the city/area names.

So Nashville gets an upgrade, and Calgary has to board on stand-by.

oscar

Quote from: formulanone on September 17, 2019, 05:38:55 PM

Will include it, thanks.

Just a list correction -- road passing under the runway is Lewis Reef Rd., which connects to but is not part of the Gravina Island Highway. Lewis Reef connects the GIH to the airport terminal, and to the airport ferry.

BTW, good that a GMSV camera car made it out to the GIH, before I did.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Duke87

Quote from: formulanone on September 17, 2019, 07:42:12 PM
Ah, I always figured the signage on both of those was more for a matter of convenience. Always wondered where I-678 truly begins and ends; do all those access roads count as unlabeled "exits" so it can be a true loop?

It's not a loop. The official "mile 0" of I-678 is in the middle of the tangle of ramps where it and the JFK Expressway meet, which is roughly in the center of the terminal area.

I-190, likewise, does not include the loop through the terminals. It ends where the loop begins.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

QuoteNGU   Naval Station Norfolk   I-564   Naval Air Station, non-commercial

FTFY.

formulanone

Quote from: oscar on September 17, 2019, 07:57:45 PM
Quote from: formulanone on September 17, 2019, 05:38:55 PM

Will include it, thanks.

Just a list correction -- road passing under the runway is Lewis Reef Rd., which connects to but is not part of the Gravina Island Highway. Lewis Reef connects the GIH to the airport terminal, and to the airport ferry.

BTW, good that a GMSV camera car made it out to the GIH, before I did.

Okay, on it.

wriddle082

At CAE (Columbia, SC Metropolitan Airport), there is a bridge over SC 302 for the UPS regional air hub that I assume is used to somehow transport packages b/w the planes on one side of the road and the sorting facility on the other.  I can't recall if I have ever seen planes on the sorting facility side of the road, but the bridge does seem to be large enough to carry a plane across if necessary.

Rick1962

MacArthur Street under SNL Shawnee (Oklahoma) Regional Airport.

SM-T580

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.