Roads Underneath Airport Runways and/or Taxiways

Started by formulanone, September 17, 2019, 05:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate 69 Fan

Indianapolis will have one when they make the 4th runway.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

ilpt4u

BLV - Scott Air Force Base/Mid-America Airport in St Clair County, IL (BLV is a reference to nearby Belleville, IL, but really the Air Base/Airport is between the towns of Shiloh and Mascoutah, IL)

East Drive runs under the Taxiway between the Parallel Runways 14R/32L and 14L/32R

I am not 100% sure if that part of East Dr is fully Publicly Accessible - it appears to be behind the Gate/Checkpoint on Seibert Rd/Scott Dr from the East/IL 158 or Charles Ln to Kentucky St/Superior St from the South/IL 161 on the military base side of the airfield

sprjus4

Not sure if this counts... I-73 in Greensboro passes under a runway bridge that is currently unused, but would be used in the future if a new runway were to be constructed at Piedmont-Triad. This was built in 2017.

Evan_Th

LAX:  You counted Sepulveda Blvd (CA 1)'s undercrossing of the runways, but didn't list World Way West's undercrossing of two taxiways on the west side opposite the main terminals.  I think that's still public access?

RDU:  John Brantley Blvd, the main public road to the airport, goes under a taxiway as it approaches the airport from the south.  At the north end, West International Drive goes under two taxiways; N Fuel Rd (AFAIK technically public access even though in practice only used by general aviation owners) also goes under one.

Is that - four undercrossings on three separate roads - the most of any airport?

wxfree

ADS:  Addison Airport Toll Tunnel, built in the late 90s to connect two sides of Keller Springs Rd, which ends on each side of the airport
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

rickmastfan67

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

mgk920

Across the Pond, the Dutch A4 and A5 motorways, along with a couple of other local roads, pass under runways and taxiways at Amsterdam - Schiphol ('AMS').

https://goo.gl/maps/MV2fuNGTE8EvyKn28

There are numerous other examples of roads passing under runways and taxiways at airports elsewhere in Europe, too.

Mike

roadman65

Newark, NJ when it had its original Control Tower.  Tower Road, to access it, crossed under a taxiway to get to the parking lot for FAA Controllers to park.  And yes, it was open to the public despite the tower not being open to anyone.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

renegade

Washington Avenue under Runway 8 at West Michigan Regional Airport in Holland.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mark68

OAK-Oakland Int'l Airport: Ron Cowan Pkwy goes under the taxiway between the terminal and runways 28L & 28R.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Mark68

CPH--Copenhagen Airport, Kastrup--Englandsvej goes under runway 04L and a parallel taxiway.

formulanone

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 18, 2019, 09:33:21 AM
Not sure if this one counts but it's been around since the mid-90s: Fort Mifflin Road tunnels just east of PHL's Runway 8-26 & Taxiway A1 pavement.

I'll count it with the rest of the thresholds; I would personally be leery of a landing on the Runway 8R side, with the passenger gates just off the other end of that runway.

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 17, 2019, 10:39:14 PM
BLV - Scott Air Force Base/Mid-America Airport in St Clair County, IL (BLV is a reference to nearby Belleville, IL, but really the Air Base/Airport is between the towns of Shiloh and Mascoutah, IL)

I'm going to guess the road is not publicly-accessible, there's no street view and it's an Air Force Base. That's one heck of a lengthy connecting taxiway, though.

Working on the others, have AMS, CVG, AGC, ADS, and a few others added.

PHLBOS

Quote from: formulanone on September 18, 2019, 03:52:53 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on September 18, 2019, 09:33:21 AM
Not sure if this one counts but it's been around since the mid-90s: Fort Mifflin Road tunnels just east of PHL's Runway 8-26 & Taxiway A1 pavement.

I'll count it with the rest of the thresholds; I would personally be leery of a landing on the Runway 8R side, with the passenger gates just off the other end of that runway.
The runway is unidirectional in terms of operations: eastbound departures on the R/W 8 side - westbound landings on the R/W 26 side.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: marleythedog on September 17, 2019, 05:25:06 PM
Columbus John Glenn - terminal entrance/exit goes under a taxiway

As well as Sawyer Rd (I'll go verify this, tonight)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Mark68

ARL--Stockholm Arlanda Airport

The airport access road & Route 273 pass under the taxiway between runway 01L/19R & 01R/19L.

273 also passes beneath the taxiway between 01R/19L and 08/26.

Concrete Bob

In Bakersfield, Merle Haggard Drive runs under two runways at Meadows Field (Bakersfield's Metro Area airport). 

SeriesE

Since we;re adding airports outside of US here's a couple:

HND - Tokyo International Airport (Haneda) - Bay Shore Route under Runway 04/22 and taxiway for 34L to 34R
NRT - Narita International Airport - southeast access road under main taxiway and terminal 1, National Route 51 and Chiba Prefecture Route 44 under 16L/34R
TPE - Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, Taiwan - Hangzhan N/S Road, the main airport access roads, crosses under a taxiway
TSA - Taipei Songshan Airport, Taiwan - Fuxing N Road crosses under runway 10/28

ftballfan

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.743124,-86.117661,941m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&authuser=0

Washington Ave goes under the runway at West Michigan Regional Airport in Holland, MI (which has never had commercial flights AFAIK)

-- US 175 --

When Amon G Carter Field/Great Southwest Airport was a thing between Dallas and Fort Worth (but technically in the Fort Worth city limits), TX 183 passed underneath the north runway.  It was many years after the airport closed before the tunnel was removed.  The tunnel was located in the area where the Amon Carter Blvd. exit/overpass is now, and if you look to the north on the turnoff to Amon Carter from the TX 183 WB service road, there is still concrete left over from the old north runway that for some reason, wasn't taken up with the rest of the airport.  It can be seen while driving by, but not accessed, as it is fenced as part of the DFW Airport property.

jay8g

This is a bit of an odd one, but at Paine Field, the route from the Boeing final assembly line to the main part of the airport crosses over SR 526. It looks like a road bridge from the air, but planes certainly do cross it. I'm pretty sure it's only used southbound, though, for planes leaving the plant.

renegade

Quote from: ftballfan on September 19, 2019, 10:12:18 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.743124,-86.117661,941m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&authuser=0

Washington Ave goes under the runway at West Michigan Regional Airport in Holland, MI (which has never had commercial flights AFAIK)
I submitted that one earlier upthread.  I did not see anything about commercial flights being  a requirement for inclusion.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Bruce

SR 526 dips under a taxiway at the Boeing assembly plant in Everett, WA, which is attached to Paine Field (PAE). Basically every Boeing widebody ever made has crossed over the freeway, which was built for the original 747 portion of the factory.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.